Thread: Does anyone OC a 92fs or have an opinion about one?

Does anyone OC a 92fs or have an opinion about one?

does anyone here oc with a 92fs? opinions?

I think it's a piece of crap. Way too heavy for a 9 and doesn't fit well in my hand. A gun that heavy should have a caliber starting with a 4. I don't like slide mounted safety either.

Banned
    They are OK. They go bang when you pull the trigger. I've had a few of them down through the years but I still don't understand why our military picked them up and dropped the 1911.

If you like 9mm there are better choices out there, but some guys love their Beretta's. Shoot a few different 9's and decide for yourself what you like.

Carried one in the Military. Didn't mind it, I got longer fingers so it fit me fine and I shot well with it. I'd still rather have my glock 17.
    Former Corporal of Marines.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesisel View Post
    I think it's a piece of crap. Way too heavy for a 9 and doesn't fit well in my hand. A gun that heavy should have a caliber starting with a 4. I don't like slide mounted safety either.
    I also have/had a problem with the slide safety, so I got the Taurus version (ver.1) about 21 years ago. As to the size, well it is a full size gun. The size helps with recoil a lot. Due to the low recoil, I bet I can shoot just about twice as fast as any .40 sold. Also, that extra size helps fit that big mag. My smallest mags (came with it), hold 15. I love to shoot 9mm. No, it is not as big as a .40 or .45, but it has and still does the job at hand very well.
    I carry my PT92 from time to time. I like my Kimber a lot more, but I will keep my 9mm - for the rest of my life - .

I've owned a 96 in .40 S&W and the gun was really nice.

I have nothing against 9mm. For the performance between 9mm and .40 S&W I'd rather have more rounds. If I want more power I carry my 10mm.

The Beretta 92 is a fantastic firearm. It is very reliable and much more accurate then I am. It is a larger framed gun so OC is probably the only way most people would carry it.

They had slide breakage problems in the beginning but I think that is pretty well worked out now. I have heard they are accurate and they do allow for plenty of ammo in the mag. Still it is big and heavy for a 9mm.

I carry a 1911 in .45ACP.

If you like Baretta take a look at the Stoeger Cougar. It's a Baretta for half the price. I have a .40 that I oc and love the feel. Definately a full frame. Down side is accessories are a bit limited.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronS View Post
    I also have/had a problem with the slide safety, so I got the Taurus version (ver.1) about 21 years ago. As to the size, well it is a full size gun. The size helps with recoil a lot. Due to the low recoil, I bet I can shoot just about twice as fast as any .40 sold. Also, that extra size helps fit that big mag. My smallest mags (came with it), hold 15. I love to shoot 9mm. No, it is not as big as a .40 or .45, but it has and still does the job at hand very well.
    I carry my PT92 from time to time. I like my Kimber a lot more, but I will keep my 9mm - for the rest of my life - .
    Yea, my experience with the gun is actually the M9 in afghanistan. When you have to hump a ton of gear weight is really important. It changed the way I think about things. But then, I think anyone carrying a firearm should have a tactical mindset.
    If I'm gonna carry something heavy it better be worth it. Feel the same way about OC. That's why I love my .45 caliber stainless steel Springfield 1911. Yes, its heavy, but I know if I need it, it will be worth it. and the weight is great help with the recoil.

to each his own..............
    Last edited by jamesisel; 08-20-2010 at 08:58 PM. Reason: .45 ACP 1911, that is

I will jump in and put a good word in for the Beretta. My first pistol was a Beretta 92FS, bought new in 1993. I still have it and it works great. I have shot a lot of different ammo thru it and it has never failed. I have had bad reloads, but the gun has worked if the ammo worked. I mostly carry a 3" 1911 in 45acp but I have carried the "92" in a Serpa holster and will continue to carry it on occasion. I completely trust the "92" to go 'bang' every time I pull the trigger and I trust the gun enough to allow someone else to trust their life to it as well.

Yes, there are other options, but I have one and like it. Yes, I would buy another one. For every day carry, it is heavier than other 9mm's. That weight is also relative to your body type, conditioning and personal preference.

Shoot one, find a friend that has one and carry it for a few hours or more. Good luck with your choice.
    Last edited by goforlow; 08-20-2010 at 10:55 PM.
    Wisconsin Carry Inc - Founders Club Member
    NRA - Life Member
    3rd generation US Air Force Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by goforlow View Post
    I will jump in and put a good word in for the Beretta. My first pistol was a Beretta 92FS, bought new in 1993. I still have it and it works great. I have shot a lot of different ammo thru it and it has never failed. I have had bad reloads, but the gun has worked if the ammo worked. I mostly carry a 3" 1911 in 45acp but I have carried the "92" in a Serpa holster and will continue to carry it on occasion. I completely trust the "92" to go 'bang' every time I pull the trigger and I trust the gun enough to allow someone else to trust their life to it as well.

Yes, there are other options, but I have one and like it. Yes, I would buy another one. For every day carry, it is heavier than other 9mm's. That weight is also relative to your body type, conditioning and personal preference.

Shoot one, find a friend that has one and carry it for a few hours or more. Good luck with your choice.
    well I carried one in the navy and I want to trade my sig sauer into a 92fs but I wasn't sure about weight/size.

Taurus

You might want to look at the Taurus 92. Taurus bought the Beretta factory in Brazil and made the same gun Beretta did only a bit better and about $100 to $130 cheaper. At least that was the case when I bought my Taurus 92 several years ago and it has performed flawlessly. I think my next gun will be a 1911 though.