Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Places to carry

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    1

    Places to carry

    Hey guys, I have read the RCW's in regards to open carry, and have my CPL but as I am always the cautious type when it comes to screwing with john law, I just wanted someone to give me the rundown on their interpretation as to the open carry laws, just to make sure I didn't misinterpret something and get busted. I wont actually start open carrying for another few weeks as I am still in the Army, and they have their own rules on soldiers weapons right, but I am getting medically discharged (wounded in Afghanistan) sometime in the next few months and will definitely start after that.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Stryker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    83
    Iceman,

    Thank you for your service and welcome to the forum! You probably have found the FAQ sticky thread at the top of our (Washington's) forum by now. It covers much of the information you are seeking and will allow you to perhaps present a more pointed question in a follow up post.

    This is a very active forum with some outstanding members. Good questions often generate great answers (and debates). I am sure we all are looking forward to meeting you sometime soon!

    Carry On!
    "Government is not the solution to our problems. Government is the problem" Ronald Reagan 20 January 1981

    "Government is not reason; it is not eloquence; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." George Washington

  3. #3
    Regular Member joejoejoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    321
    Can't wait to have another OC fan in Washington! If you are in the area, we are having a BBQ on the 25th of September for OC. You can learn a lot there and bring your firearm.

    Anyways, I will try to sum it up as I know it. However, I suggest that you read the laws yourself regarding the restricted areas.

    Washington State overrides any local codes or laws, so you only need to concern yourself with Washington State laws (with the exception of stadiums and convention centers - where you can ONLY cc freely if local code restricts open carry).

    DO NOT CARRY IN MENTAL HOSPITALS
    DO NOT CARRY IN PLACES REQUIRING YOU BE 21 OR OVER
    DO NOT CARRY IN ANY RESTRICTED LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICE (i.e. jails, detention centers, confinement areas)
    DO NOT CARRY IN ANY COURTHOUSE OR ANY AREAS LINKED TO COURTHOUSES
    DO NOT CARRY ON SCHOOL GROUNDS

    Everything else is fair game. There are a few minors laws regarding music festivals or fairs, in which case I would suggest you look into them yourself if you plan on going to one. This site offers links to the RCWs regarding those laws.

    For all the restricted areas above, it does include areas of entering or exiting. Also, in the case with the law enforcement offices, it does not include areas open to the general public (i.e. sheriff's office). If you are unsure of the laws regarding a police station (like you are trying to go to the front desk) just look for signs saying "no firearms." If nothing is posted, then you should be free to enter. Just be aware, a police officer may ask you to leave. I recommend leaving and calling the Sheriff of your County.

    You can carry openly and loaded anywhere else so long as you do not intentionally intimidate or warrant alarm. Never draw your firearm unless it is in self defense, otherwise you are guilty of gross misdemeanor.

    I hope this helps. If you have any questions, check the FAQs.

    Joe~

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran gogodawgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Federal Way, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,666

    Welcome!



    Quote Originally Posted by iceman23B View Post
    Hey guys, I have read the RCW's in regards to open carry, and have my CPL but as I am always the cautious type when it comes to screwing with john law, I just wanted someone to give me the rundown on their interpretation as to the open carry laws, just to make sure I didn't misinterpret something and get busted. I wont actually start open carrying for another few weeks as I am still in the Army, and they have their own rules on soldiers weapons right, but I am getting medically discharged (wounded in Afghanistan) sometime in the next few months and will definitely start after that.
    Quote Originally Posted by joejoejoe View Post
    Can't wait to have another OC fan in Washington! If you are in the area, we are having a BBQ on the 25th of September for OC. You can learn a lot there and bring your firearm.

    Anyways, I will try to sum it up as I know it. However, I suggest that you read the laws yourself regarding the restricted areas.

    Washington State overrides any local codes or laws, so you only need to concern yourself with Washington State laws (with the exception of stadiums and convention centers - where you can ONLY cc freely if local code restricts open carry).

    DO NOT CARRY IN MENTAL HOSPITALS
    DO NOT CARRY IN PLACES REQUIRING YOU BE 21 OR OVER
    DO NOT CARRY IN ANY RESTRICTED LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICE (i.e. jails, detention centers, confinement areas)
    DO NOT CARRY IN ANY COURTHOUSE OR ANY AREAS LINKED TO COURTHOUSES
    DO NOT CARRY ON SCHOOL GROUNDS You can carry on school grounds when picking up or dropping off a student, however you may not carry in a school building.

    Everything else is fair game. There are a few minors laws regarding music festivals or fairs, in which case I would suggest you look into them yourself if you plan on going to one. This site offers links to the RCWs regarding those laws.

    For all the restricted areas above, it does include areas of entering or exiting. Also, in the case with the law enforcement offices, it does not include areas open to the general public (i.e. sheriff's office). If you are unsure of the laws regarding a police station (like you are trying to go to the front desk) just look for signs saying "no firearms." If nothing is posted, then you should be free to enter. Just be aware, a police officer may ask you to leave. I recommend leaving and calling the Sheriff of your County.

    You can carry openly and loaded anywhere else so long as you do not intentionally intimidate or warrant alarm. Never draw your firearm unless it is in self defense, otherwise you are guilty of gross misdemeanor.

    I hope this helps. If you have any questions, check the FAQs.

    Joe~
    note the red type
    Live Free or Die!

  5. #5
    Regular Member Aryk45XD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    513
    Welcome and thank you for your service. Stick around the boards and you will have enough knowledge and confidence to OC anywhere safely. There's a great bunch on this forum.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Genken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    105
    Iceman, I'm an 11B in 3rd Brigade, and I open carry all the time. If I go to post, I just leave it at home, and make that my only trip without my sidearm.

    IIRC, the only "rules" I am aware of is the ones concerning firearms on post. Pretty much, don't CC, don't OC, and technically, you are supposed to go from the gate to where you intent to keep it, and vice versa. Of course, they did change the rules on off-post residents registering weapons on post(now you don't have to unless you intend on taking your firearm(s) on post).

    Also, don't OC at the mall, they got some sign somewhere, but CC is ok(AFAIK).

    Otherwise, welcome to OCDO! Lots of helpful info around here. I've even given pamphlets to some of the people I work with, and tried educating an LT on state gun laws. Quite fun.

    Also, I recommend that you print out and carry a few pamphlets with you. The updated ones are in a sticky thread. That way, if anyone comes up asking questions, you can talk to them and both give them a pamphlet, and reference from it. Today I gave a lady that worked at Quantico a pamphlet.
    It ain't easy in the Tweezy.

    My favorite one to date: "Uh... You know the hammer's back on it, right?"

    Me: o.O "Uh...yeah."

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    923
    Quote Originally Posted by Genken View Post
    Iceman, I'm an 11B in 3rd Brigade, and I open carry all the time. If I go to post, I just leave it at home, and make that my only trip without my sidearm.

    IIRC, the only "rules" I am aware of is the ones concerning firearms on post. Pretty much, don't CC, don't OC, and technically, you are supposed to go from the gate to where you intent to keep it, and vice versa. Of course, they did change the rules on off-post residents registering weapons on post(now you don't have to unless you intend on taking your firearm(s) on post).

    Also, don't OC at the mall, they got some sign somewhere, but CC is ok(AFAIK).

    Otherwise, welcome to OCDO! Lots of helpful info around here. I've even given pamphlets to some of the people I work with, and tried educating an LT on state gun laws. Quite fun.

    Also, I recommend that you print out and carry a few pamphlets with you. The updated ones are in a sticky thread. That way, if anyone comes up asking questions, you can talk to them and both give them a pamphlet, and reference from it. Today I gave a lady that worked at Quantico a pamphlet.
    For clarification There is no law restricting carry in malls. Most malls have rules against it, but its not illegal, if asked to leave you must leave or you can be charged with trespassing.
    A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government.- Thomas Jefferson March 4 1801

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    85

    Thank you,

    Hey all,

    New to the forums, but want to say thank you for your service and sacrifice. And thanks to all who may have served or are still serving. Just know that there are millions of us regular americans who love you...(in a proud thankful love...LOL!) All kidding aside thanks for your service. I have only open carried 1 time so far, cc all the time. I live here in Vancouver and with the incident that happened several months back leary of fun in with Vancouver PD. Not that I have a problem with them, glad they are there. But also glad to have my Glock 22 it will be there before they are.

    Anyway, I love reading the posts and would like to come to one of the social events.

    Thanks

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    514
    I think everybody summed it up well enough... keep researching, read the RCW's so you know the wording of the laws and not just what people tell you.

    Then ask questions, drop into your local PD and talk to them.

    Most importantly, be comfortable when you carry. Start off small, short trips, if it helps. Just don't put yourself into uncomfortable situations... not good for you or anybody else.

    And know your rights. Cops may still try to mess with you even if you're within the law... know your rights and do not be intimidated.

    And THANK YOU for your service. Sorry to see it end the way it did, but good job coming home alive!

  10. #10
    Regular Member j2l3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    871
    There are no RCW's reference open carry in this state. Only carry in general or concealed carry.

    If I am wrong, I would like the citation to the law that even mentions open carry provided here for everyone's review.

    Our laws are set up so that if it is not expressly prohibited by law, then it is lawful activity.
    CZ 75B 9mm, Ruger P94 .40 S&W, Bersa Thunder .380, AR-15 Homebuild

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    514
    Quote Originally Posted by j2l3 View Post
    There are no RCW's reference open carry in this state. Only carry in general or concealed carry.

    If I am wrong, I would like the citation to the law that even mentions open carry provided here for everyone's review.

    Our laws are set up so that if it is not expressly prohibited by law, then it is lawful activity.
    I believe you are correct... there is no RCW outlawing a particular type of carry... it is either lawful to carry the gun or it is not. The only regulation on legal carry is CONCEALED... for that you need the license.

  12. #12
    Activist Member golddigger14s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lacey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,990

    Military

    I am a 14S on North Fort. Whenever I am off duty, off post, and in civies I usually OC. You would only get in trouble with the Army if you were doing something illegal in the first place. I even went to a unit picnic today with just my holster since I was still on duty I didn't actually carry and no one from PVT to BN CDR said anything. So go out and carry proudly, and best of luck when you get out.

  13. #13
    Regular Member DEROS72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    SEATAC, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,819
    Wow N.Fort still exists ..went to 11B10 school there in early 71 before they packed my a$$ off to Vietnam Republic of.

  14. #14
    Activist Member golddigger14s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lacey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,990

    N Fort

    Deros, you need to come visit you would not recognize it. If you need help for acess or a tour, let me know I'll be happy to assist. (Just no carry!).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •