• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Places to carry

iceman23B

Hey guys, I have read the RCW's in regards to open carry, and have my CPL but as I am always the cautious type when it comes to screwing with john law, I just wanted someone to give me the rundown on their interpretation as to the open carry laws, just to make sure I didn't misinterpret something and get busted. I wont actually start open carrying for another few weeks as I am still in the Army, and they have their own rules on soldiers weapons right, but I am getting medically discharged (wounded in Afghanistan) sometime in the next few months and will definitely start after that.

Stryker

Iceman,

Thank you for your service and welcome to the forum! You probably have found the FAQ sticky thread at the top of our (Washington's) forum by now. It covers much of the information you are seeking and will allow you to perhaps present a more pointed question in a follow up post.

This is a very active forum with some outstanding members. Good questions often generate great answers (and debates). I am sure we all are looking forward to meeting you sometime soon!

Carry On!

joejoejoe

Can't wait to have another OC fan in Washington! If you are in the area, we are having a BBQ on the 25th of September for OC. You can learn a lot there and bring your firearm.

Anyways, I will try to sum it up as I know it. However, I suggest that you read the laws yourself regarding the restricted areas.

Washington State overrides any local codes or laws, so you only need to concern yourself with Washington State laws (with the exception of stadiums and convention centers - where you can ONLY cc freely if local code restricts open carry).

DO NOT CARRY IN MENTAL HOSPITALS
DO NOT CARRY IN PLACES REQUIRING YOU BE 21 OR OVER
DO NOT CARRY IN ANY RESTRICTED LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICE (i.e. jails, detention centers, confinement areas)
DO NOT CARRY IN ANY COURTHOUSE OR ANY AREAS LINKED TO COURTHOUSES
DO NOT CARRY ON SCHOOL GROUNDS

Everything else is fair game. There are a few minors laws regarding music festivals or fairs, in which case I would suggest you look into them yourself if you plan on going to one. This site offers links to the RCWs regarding those laws.

For all the restricted areas above, it does include areas of entering or exiting. Also, in the case with the law enforcement offices, it does not include areas open to the general public (i.e. sheriff's office). If you are unsure of the laws regarding a police station (like you are trying to go to the front desk) just look for signs saying "no firearms." If nothing is posted, then you should be free to enter. Just be aware, a police officer may ask you to leave. I recommend leaving and calling the Sheriff of your County.

You can carry openly and loaded anywhere else so long as you do not intentionally intimidate or warrant alarm. Never draw your firearm unless it is in self defense, otherwise you are guilty of gross misdemeanor.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, check the FAQs.

Joe~

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Welcome!

Hey guys, I have read the RCW's in regards to open carry, and have my CPL but as I am always the cautious type when it comes to screwing with john law, I just wanted someone to give me the rundown on their interpretation as to the open carry laws, just to make sure I didn't misinterpret something and get busted. I wont actually start open carrying for another few weeks as I am still in the Army, and they have their own rules on soldiers weapons right, but I am getting medically discharged (wounded in Afghanistan) sometime in the next few months and will definitely start after that.

Can't wait to have another OC fan in Washington! If you are in the area, we are having a BBQ on the 25th of September for OC. You can learn a lot there and bring your firearm.

Anyways, I will try to sum it up as I know it. However, I suggest that you read the laws yourself regarding the restricted areas.

Washington State overrides any local codes or laws, so you only need to concern yourself with Washington State laws (with the exception of stadiums and convention centers - where you can ONLY cc freely if local code restricts open carry).

DO NOT CARRY IN MENTAL HOSPITALS
DO NOT CARRY IN PLACES REQUIRING YOU BE 21 OR OVER
DO NOT CARRY IN ANY RESTRICTED LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICE (i.e. jails, detention centers, confinement areas)
DO NOT CARRY IN ANY COURTHOUSE OR ANY AREAS LINKED TO COURTHOUSES
DO NOT CARRY ON SCHOOL GROUNDS You can carry on school grounds when picking up or dropping off a student, however you may not carry in a school building.

Everything else is fair game. There are a few minors laws regarding music festivals or fairs, in which case I would suggest you look into them yourself if you plan on going to one. This site offers links to the RCWs regarding those laws.

For all the restricted areas above, it does include areas of entering or exiting. Also, in the case with the law enforcement offices, it does not include areas open to the general public (i.e. sheriff's office). If you are unsure of the laws regarding a police station (like you are trying to go to the front desk) just look for signs saying "no firearms." If nothing is posted, then you should be free to enter. Just be aware, a police officer may ask you to leave. I recommend leaving and calling the Sheriff of your County.

You can carry openly and loaded anywhere else so long as you do not intentionally intimidate or warrant alarm. Never draw your firearm unless it is in self defense, otherwise you are guilty of gross misdemeanor.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, check the FAQs.

Joe~

note the red type

Aryk45XD

Welcome and thank you for your service. Stick around the boards and you will have enough knowledge and confidence to OC anywhere safely. There's a great bunch on this forum.

Genken

Iceman, I'm an 11B in 3rd Brigade, and I open carry all the time. If I go to post, I just leave it at home, and make that my only trip without my sidearm.

IIRC, the only "rules" I am aware of is the ones concerning firearms on post. Pretty much, don't CC, don't OC, and technically, you are supposed to go from the gate to where you intent to keep it, and vice versa. Of course, they did change the rules on off-post residents registering weapons on post(now you don't have to unless you intend on taking your firearm(s) on post).

Also, don't OC at the mall, they got some sign somewhere, but CC is ok(AFAIK).

Otherwise, welcome to OCDO! Lots of helpful info around here. I've even given pamphlets to some of the people I work with, and tried educating an LT on state gun laws. Quite fun.

Also, I recommend that you print out and carry a few pamphlets with you. The updated ones are in a sticky thread. That way, if anyone comes up asking questions, you can talk to them and both give them a pamphlet, and reference from it. Today I gave a lady that worked at Quantico a pamphlet.

END_THE_FED

Iceman, I'm an 11B in 3rd Brigade, and I open carry all the time. If I go to post, I just leave it at home, and make that my only trip without my sidearm.

IIRC, the only "rules" I am aware of is the ones concerning firearms on post. Pretty much, don't CC, don't OC, and technically, you are supposed to go from the gate to where you intent to keep it, and vice versa. Of course, they did change the rules on off-post residents registering weapons on post(now you don't have to unless you intend on taking your firearm(s) on post).

Also, don't OC at the mall, they got some sign somewhere, but CC is ok(AFAIK).

Otherwise, welcome to OCDO! Lots of helpful info around here. I've even given pamphlets to some of the people I work with, and tried educating an LT on state gun laws. Quite fun.

Also, I recommend that you print out and carry a few pamphlets with you. The updated ones are in a sticky thread. That way, if anyone comes up asking questions, you can talk to them and both give them a pamphlet, and reference from it. Today I gave a lady that worked at Quantico a pamphlet.

For clarification There is no law restricting carry in malls. Most malls have rules against it, but its not illegal, if asked to leave you must leave or you can be charged with trespassing.

The Patriot

Thank you,

Hey all,

New to the forums, but want to say thank you for your service and sacrifice. And thanks to all who may have served or are still serving. Just know that there are millions of us regular americans who love you...(in a proud thankful love...LOL!) All kidding aside thanks for your service. I have only open carried 1 time so far, cc all the time. I live here in Vancouver and with the incident that happened several months back leary of fun in with Vancouver PD. Not that I have a problem with them, glad they are there. But also glad to have my Glock 22 it will be there before they are.

Anyway, I love reading the posts and would like to come to one of the social events.

Thanks

daddy4count

I think everybody summed it up well enough... keep researching, read the RCW's so you know the wording of the laws and not just what people tell you.

Then ask questions, drop into your local PD and talk to them.

Most importantly, be comfortable when you carry. Start off small, short trips, if it helps. Just don't put yourself into uncomfortable situations... not good for you or anybody else.

And know your rights. Cops may still try to mess with you even if you're within the law... know your rights and do not be intimidated.

And THANK YOU for your service. Sorry to see it end the way it did, but good job coming home alive!

j2l3

There are no RCW's reference open carry in this state. Only carry in general or concealed carry.

If I am wrong, I would like the citation to the law that even mentions open carry provided here for everyone's review.

Our laws are set up so that if it is not expressly prohibited by law, then it is lawful activity.

daddy4count

There are no RCW's reference open carry in this state. Only carry in general or concealed carry.

If I am wrong, I would like the citation to the law that even mentions open carry provided here for everyone's review.

Our laws are set up so that if it is not expressly prohibited by law, then it is lawful activity.

I believe you are correct... there is no RCW outlawing a particular type of carry... it is either lawful to carry the gun or it is not. The only regulation on legal carry is CONCEALED... for that you need the license.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Military

I am a 14S on North Fort. Whenever I am off duty, off post, and in civies I usually OC. You would only get in trouble with the Army if you were doing something illegal in the first place. I even went to a unit picnic today with just my holster since I was still on duty I didn't actually carry and no one from PVT to BN CDR said anything. So go out and carry proudly, and best of luck when you get out.

DEROS72

Wow N.Fort still exists ..went to 11B10 school there in early 71 before they packed my a$$ off to Vietnam Republic of.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
N Fort

Deros, you need to come visit you would not recognize it. If you need help for acess or a tour, let me know I'll be happy to assist. (Just no carry!).