• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The North of Everett OC Report

Wolfebane

Greetings,

So I hope this is ok, I looked around for an OC thread specifically for this area - and either my Internet Detective skills have failed me or I simply didn't look hard enough - I was unable to find a thread that fit my area so here goes.

Anacortes
8/10
The Island Optometry on the main drag - OC'd for my eye appointment, no problems. The assistant woman asked me why I was carrying to which I responded "A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost." She looked at me and nodded then we talked guns and permits for a bit - her husband is getting his CPL.

Bellingham
8/10
The ARCO station immediately off of Exit 250 I-5 - went in, grabbed a hotdog and paid for my gas OC no problem.

8/16
The Haggens near the South end of WWU campus just off Exit 252 I-5 - OC'd no problem for my shopping needs.

8/19
The Gamestop off of Exit 256 I-5 in the Sunset Square - OC'd in to ask about some pre-order specials no problem, though I think as I came in I caused one of their employees to lose his train of thought as he was talking with another customer - he didn't say anything though.

Oak Harbor
8/14
The Walgreens across from Safeway - Shopping and prescription pickup OC no problem whatsoever.
The WalMart in town - OC'd into the subway there and picked up a small lemonade while I waited, sat down and drank it with no problems. Had a little girl ask her mom (I overheard from behind me) "mommy, mommy...is that real" *pause* "Yes, honey it is."
Green's Gunshop and Range - Been going to this guy for YEARS. Great little shop with great people - OC'd no problem, paid and went to the range.

Everett
8/12-8/19
The Denny's near Maple street (I think) - OC'd no problem at all on the 19th though as I was sitting in the waiting area for another guest one of their employees was heading to the register when he looked at me and saw the gun - made eye contact with me and in a joking manner threw up his hands and said "Don't Shoot" laughed and went about his business.

And I guess that's it for now. If I missed the thread that covers my area Bellingham-Everett-Oak Harbor-Anacortes someone let me know so I can start posting in there. I'm hoping to start a thread that covers an area close to me so I can easily find what people in my general area have to say about OC experiences. Basically think North of Seattle and West of Lake Chelan.

-Wolfebane

ARADCOM

Way to go!

I actually told Sudden Valley Gunner I was going to do this (a North Sound OC Report) when we met for coffee last week but hadn't gotten to it.

08/18

REI (Sehome Village) for some sunscreen and to look for some misc items
Fred Meyer (Bakerview) for general grocery shopping
Yeager's Sporting Goods to buy fuel for a backpacking trip next week and look at a Taurus 709
Yorky's Market (Bennett Drive) for a lottery ticket
No issues anywhere

08/19

Bellingham Self Storage
El Tapatio taco truck (on Bakerview) for a outside lunch
Sunset Postal and Business Center (Sunset Square)
Fred Meyer (Bakerview)
No issues anywhere

Last edited:

Metalhead47

Sunday the 15th while y'all were at the big meetup, checker at the Oak Harbor Albertsons with a keen grasp of the obvious. After I'd been at his checkstand for several minutes unloading & what not, he finally notices the Tanfoglio just as I'm fixing to leave:
"Holy moley that's a weapon you've got there!" :eek:

sudden valley gunner

Hmmm were to start :lol:.

Today 8-20, Starbucks Bakerview. Arco Bakerview. Wal-mart. ICU (Industrial Credit Union). Fred Meyers-Bakerview. AppleBee's for lunch with wife and her freind.

Yesterday-,8-19 Whatcom Community College (not inside). Lowes, Hardware sales,Trader Joe's, Allegiance Firearms, Yeagers, REI, Fred Meyer's, Papa Murphy's Pizza, Bellingham Munipal Courts, Office Depot, Best Buy.

8-18 Bank of America, Fred Meyers, Arco, Loan Shark Pawn, Kyoto's Restaurant (good sushi), Haggens.

There's probably more but I can't think of it I just open carry everywhere I go. Concealed at Costco yesterday though.

ARADCOM

Another OC kind of day

08/20

Bellingham Self Storage to help a friend move
Industrial Credit Union (W. Bakerview) to get some cash
V's Barber Shop (W. Bakerview) for a haircut
Qwik Stop Grocery (West Holly)
Marine Drive Market (corner of Bennett)
3 mile walk on the Bay to Baker Trail- Got a few looks but no comments
No issues anywhere

sudden valley gunner

08/20

V's Barber Shop (W. Bakerview) for a haircut

The owner of V's is my neighbor her son and my youngest kid are best friends. She let's him go shooting with me all the time. She sees me open carry all the time and never has had a problem with it or letting her kids hang out here.

Last edited:

Metalhead47

Watered my Apple and Cherry trees I'm trying to grow if the damn deer would leave them alone. Walked the dogs in my neighborhood.

Hey check the garden center of your local Fred Meyers for this stuff, runs about $20 for a can, has this creepy-looking vampire deer on the label. The ingredients are mostly dried animal blood & cayenne pepper, works WONDERS on keeping the deer away.

Ruby

Watered my Apple and Cherry trees I'm trying to grow if the damn deer would leave them alone. Walked the dogs in my neighborhood.

Get yourself some stuff called Deer Scoot. The deer were eating my roses and everything else they could get to, the Deer Scoot stopped them. I forget where I got it, you might try a plant nursery. It comes in a plastic spray bottle. Hope this helps!

ARADCOM

I'm in a rut.

Same old places:

08/22

Marine Drive Market (corner of Bennett)
REI (Sehome Village) for last minute stuff
Fred Meyer (Bakerview) for general grocery shopping
Haggen (Meridian)
Yorky's Market (Bennett Drive) for a lottery ticket
No issues anywhere

Last edited:

Metalhead47

Kewl little encounter at the fair

Just got back from the Island county fair. Didn't know their "official" stance on carrying, or if they even have one, so I was packing the Noisy Cricket in a little crossdraw holster (going for subtly this time). Was getting a fresh-squeeze lemonade when the lady in back came up & said, "Can I ask you a question?" Turns out they'd just moved here from Atlanta, the lady wants a gun but her other half keeps saying no. So I gave her the 5-minute rundown on carry laws in Washington (didn't even think to bring pamphlets), she was quite surprised to hear that OC is legal here with no permit. Pointed her to OCDO and she made a point of writing the site down, so hopefully she'll pop up on here sooner or later.

Then spent a few minutes at the next booth talking to the dude from Hawii there, he liked the little NAA mini. Of course the firearm laws out there suck, he said it's pretty much impossible to go shooting anywhere, even at a range. Told me a story of some foolish kids who went shooting out on the beach & then got shot up by local LEOs.

All in all, pretty surprised that anyone noticed, didn't get so much as a look from anyone else, that I noticed (I gave the democrat booths a wide berth lest I launch into an angry tirade). Didn't see any signs at the gate prohibiting guns (just pets :rolleyes:), so maybe next year I'll bring the Tanfoglio. Or the Nagant :eek:

Hammer

Get yourself some stuff called Deer Scoot. The deer were eating my roses and everything else they could get to, the Deer Scoot stopped them. I forget where I got it, you might try a plant nursery. It comes in a plastic spray bottle. Hope this helps!

Smells like cougar piss...... j/k

Wolfebane

Greetings,

Took my car in today to have it detailed. Went to Bellingham Detail & Glass. After a while the owner (to whom I was talking to about my car) stopped, pointed and said: “That's a gun.” To which I responded “No, those are my reloads and this is my gun” lifting my left arm and turning to show him. He asked if I was with Homeland Security, I told him that I was just a private citizen, then he asked if I was a private detective (visions of Mike Hammer briefly passed through my mind), told him that I was just a private citizen trying to show the public that not everyone who carries a weapon is a crazy or a criminal.

We then talked briefly about the WA Constitution and RCW's (I plan to bring him a pamphlet when I go back to pick up my car today).

There have been several other encounters (so far all of them positive) but one thing that I have noticed is that people tend to be more polite and cheery around me when I OC so far – which is surprising to me given the fact that its Bellingham.

-Wolfebane

sudden valley gunner

Mt. Vernon SB&C to make a payment. Fred Meyers Burlington. Wholesale sports Burlington got a pistol case for my flight tomorrow.

Sudden Valley market to get gas for mower, ended up in a 2hr(?) conversation with a guy who came to me and said glad to see another open carrier, he wasn't open carrying but does. We ended up having a lot in common and some good discussions, apparently he was instrumental in getting some of the East Sound cities laws/codes changed.

Then went in met a client at Whatcom County Building and Codes, went over some codes and necessary things client needs to do with my client and Building inspector.

Went to clients property with client to make sure Concrete guys and I are on the same page with some critical issues.

Fred Meyers Bakerview, and Fred Meyers Lakeway, believe it or not they have cheaper Plantain Bananas to bring back home to family in Hawaii than what you can get in Hawaii when available.

skiingislife725

Yeagers
Went to Yeager's to look at the Taurus 709 versus a Glock 26 (which I already carry) for a backup gun/truck gun...guy at the counter got really interested in my skateboard tape grips, but no biggie. One guy behind me in line at the fishing/hunting license counter was google-eyed over my gun but struck up a conversation about fishing the San Juans, so he obviously wasn't too worried about it, probably just surprised. Unicorn! :lol:

Hardware Sales
Picked up a couple odds and ends.

Super Supplements
Cashier definitely noticed, but didn't say anything about it.

Sehome Haggen's
Grabbed a couple snacks for Fragrance Lake.

Fragrance Lake hike
Wasn't sure if I wanted to swim or not, so I just put my holster and belt underneath my board shorts and carried "Virginia tuck-style" down to the lake. Snowplow (my St. Bernard/German Shepherd) got some swimming in and I threw in my line for a bit just for the heck of it. Not hot enough to swim for me. :lol: Got a couple looks but everyone was friendly.