• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Court Affirms Wiretapping Without Warrants

Chrisc411

WASHINGTON — In a rare public ruling, a secret federal appeals court has said telecommunications companies must cooperate with the government to intercept international phone calls and e-mail of American citizens suspected of being spies or terrorists.

The ruling came in a case involving an unidentified company’s challenge to 2007 legislation that expanded the president’s legal power to conduct wiretapping without warrants for intelligence purposes.

Fair use excerpt ... Read More at http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/16/washington/16fisa.html

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP But, the court ruled, “this is little more than a lament about the risk that government officials will not operate in good faith.’

“That sort of risk exists even when a warrant is required,” it said.

Translation: The government is going to violate your rights anyway, so there is no point in using the guarantee of rights to try to stop it.

[barf]

Last edited:

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
But, the court ruled, “this is little more than a lament about the risk that government officials will not operate in good faith.’

“That sort of risk exists even when a warrant is required,” it said.

By this immensely idiotic logic, we can just toss the bill of rights out the door since it doesn't prevent our rights from being trampled by government officials who don't act in good faith. In fact, why have laws at all since they don't prevent people from violating them. Clearly the judge(s) are traitorous baboons.

coolusername2007

By this immensely idiotic logic, we can just toss the bill of rights out the door since it doesn't prevent our rights from being trampled by government officials who don't act in good faith. In fact, why have laws at all since they don't prevent people from violating them. Clearly the judge(s) are traitorous baboons.

Why stop there? Why even bother with a Constitution?! Last I checked they required acting in good faith also.

wewd

The Constitution has no ability to enforce itself. It's just a piece of paper with nice ideas written on it. Those who are supposed to obey it have no obligation or incentive to actually do so, so they generally do not, unless it benefits them in some way. They can make us obey their rules through violence, coercion, imprisonment, and theft of our property. But since they have the monopoly on force, there is no one to make them follow any sort of rules, be it the written law which supposedly applies to everyone equally (the great fallacy of blind justice), or the Constitution itself. It is, as the great 19th century political philosopher Lysander Spooner put it, the Constitution of No Authority.

Ca Patriot

Correct me if I am wrong, but this applies to communications that originate OUTSIDE of America.

This ruling does not apply to communications inside of America between American citizens.

slowfiveoh

Probably wont help. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it just made you that much more of a target for the CIA.

The Feds have a device called a Narus STA 6400. Go to Narus's site, and note how it is extremely vague.

It can piece together traffic with up to (purportedly) 1024-bit encryption in real time, as a function of hardware processing.

It has it's own little room in AT&T Data Centers.

daddy4count

American citizens suspected of being spies or terrorists.
I would love to know the criteria for that one... "suspected of"

According to some, just owning a firearm and advocating 2A rights could imply that I'm a terrorist...

I have no problem with Federal wire taps... as long as they got a Federal judge to sign off on the warrant. At least that way there is some kind of check and balance, not leaving it up to the LEA to decide who gets oppressed.

AZkopper

To quote Dr. Seuss: I do not like this, Sam I Am....

As was said above, I have no problem with WARRANTS to wiretap specific subjects for specified times within the U.S.

I even have no problem with a "reverse warrant" (my term), where they say "Person X, overseas, is a known member of terrorist group Y. Any calls or emails sent to him from the U.S. will be intercepted and read/listened to".

But there MUST be a warrant if U.S. legal residents are involved within the country!!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP But there MUST be a warrant if U.S. legal residents are involved within the country!!

Heh, heh, heh. Time to throw the courts' own abuse back in their face, no? What was the court decision that authorized US agents arresting foreigners overseas because even overseas was within US jurisdiction (according to this case I cannot recall).

Well, if the courts feel US jurisdiction includes all seas and nations, then warrants would should be required for communications to and from anywhere in the world.

eye95

Heh, heh, heh. Time to throw the courts' own abuse back in their face, no? What was the court decision that authorized US agents arresting foreigners overseas because even overseas was within US jurisdiction (according to this case I cannot recall).

Well, if the courts feel US jurisdiction includes all seas and nations, then warrants would should be required for communications to and from anywhere in the world.

Can you locate the case?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Can you locate the case?

Possibly. I know the name of the author of the book I read it in. I just have to remember which book by that author. Then figure out which chapter, and hope he cited the case by name. I'll have a look tomorrow or the next.

Last edited:

rodbender

Correct me if I am wrong, but this applies to communications that originate OUTSIDE of America.

This ruling does not apply to communications inside of America between American citizens.

Then there is always a one word explaination as to why they "accidentally" picked up a conversation between 2 U.S. citizens.

OOPS!!! But then we have this recording where they say ........

slowfiveoh

lol...

Did anybody even bother to check out the information I posted?

The thing is real, and is constantly monitoring enormous amounts of data, then collating and transmitting reports in real time, back to the NSA.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Can you locate the case?
Possibly. I know the name of the author of the book I read it in. I just have to remember which book by that author. Then figure out which chapter, and hope he cited the case by name. I'll have a look tomorrow or the next.

I sorta found it. The case (not the opinion) was maybe in 2004. Ramzi Yousef--the mastermind of the first World Trade Center bombing.

According to the book, American government [strike]agents[/strike] kidnappers went to Pakistan, seized Yousef, and turned him over to the Pakistanis. The Pakistanis then gave him back to the kidnappers without hearings or extradition due process.

Once back in the US, the judge in the federal district court ruled that essentially the US had universal jurisdiction, that Pakistan was effectively part of the US, without explaining his rationale. Just making the declaration.

The 2nd Circuit upheld the ruling. The US Supreme Court declined to hear the appeal.

Since this might have just been side motions, I have no idea how to find the actual document, except maybe dig up all the 2nd Circuit rulings from that time period. Or, maybe search "Ramzi Yousef" and "universal jurisdiction" (if there is even such a legal term).

eye95

I sorta found it. The case (not the opinion) was maybe in 2004. Ramzi Yousef--the mastermind of the first World Trade Center bombing.

According to the book, American government [strike]agents[/strike] kidnappers went to Pakistan, seized Yousef, and turned him over to the Pakistanis. The Pakistanis then gave him back to the kidnappers without hearings or extradition due process.

Once back in the US, the judge in the federal district court ruled that essentially the US had universal jurisdiction, that Pakistan was effectively part of the US, without explaining his rationale. Just making the declaration.

The 2nd Circuit upheld the ruling. The US Supreme Court declined to hear the appeal.

Since this might have just been side motions, I have no idea how to find the actual document, except maybe dig up all the 2nd Circuit rulings from that time period. Or, maybe search "Ramzi Yousef" and "universal jurisdiction" (if there is even such a legal term).

I really would rather read the decision, and not one man's interpretation of it.