• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry at Grand Canyon

Count

Founder's Club Member
I intend to open carry at Grand Cannyon NP in two weeks north of Flagstaff where all the tourists go to take pictures. I intend to ignore the no firearm signs if they still have them. Has anyone open carried there since the federal law for federal lands changed and copies whatever the state law is..... (like National Forests).

Last edited:

March Hare

Where will you be visiting from?

I have carried at the Canyon, several times with not much more than the occasional stare from out of state visitors.
Most people are just curious about the firearm, it's an opportunity to educate others on self defense.

You can carry anywhere in the park except into the Federal buildings; Visitors Center, etc.
Ignoring the posted signs there will get you in trouble.

As far as other places that are posted No Firearms, if they are private property, the owner or their representative can ask you to leave, if you don't, you can be charged with trespassing and cited.
I just don't spend my money at those places!

Also be careful of carrying into places that serve alcohol for consumption on the premises, if you don't have your concealed carry, and conceal, you can get in trouble as well.

I doubt you'll have any trouble, have fun and enjoy the scenery!

-MH

Last edited:

Count

Founder's Club Member
Thanks. From Texas.... I will stay out of federal buildings except restrooms....

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
March Hare are the restaurants and lodges posted for "no carry"? It is my understanding that they were under the operation of Xanterra or a similar named company.

March Hare

March Hare are the restaurants and lodges posted for "no carry"? It is my understanding that they were under the operation of Xanterra or a similar named company.

I'm sorry to say that I've never used the lodge or restaurants inside the park, I've always been there camping or on day trips from sites nearby.

-MH

acmariner99

I have oc'ed in grand canyon national park with a friends 38 and cced in olympic national park. No problems at all.

langzaiguy

I would assume that the government owns the lodges and resorts associated with the park and that it is just the labor and management are contracted out.

mFonz77

You are good to go. I was there in May and they already had all signage in compliance (to their credit). I CC'ed and didn't see any other OCers, FWIW.

Vegassteve

I just spent 2 weeks in Glacier Park in MT. I did not se any signs on the hotels. They are private owned. What I did see was signs at ranger stations. And this sign in one hotel in the basement on the door of a room that a ranger gives nightly talks in. I did speak to the ranger about the sign. He said yes you could carry in the park but why would I want to because you cant shoot it. He then said that ALLL buildings were off limits. I tried correcting him on that but he would have none of it. Then one day I see the same ranger at a bear area that cars had stopped at. That same ranger had a pistol and a shotgun. I have the pic of that. I guess he thinks he needs a gun though.

Attachments

• GlacierDan 039.jpg
    GlacierDan 039.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 591
  • GlacierDan 037.bmp
    78.3 KB · Views: 184

Thoreau

OC'ed without issue on a trip back in April. No issues getting out of my car (parked by the general store) suiting up for the trip (thigh rig with a USP), hopping on a bus, hiking down Grandview, hitting up the cave, going down lower to get water, heading back up the next day, and heading on home =)

The ONLY two times anything came up were:

1) on the way down another hiker who was headed up asked if I was a park ranger. I responded "can't say that I am" and went about my business.

2) got a small conversation going with about a half dozen people down at the spring while refilling our water containers. Someone asked if I was expecting to see bears, and I just said that I hope not since I'm only carrying a .40. Got some chuckles, a little chit chat about this being Arizona with the group, and that was that.

Edit: Hrm, come to think of it we parked at the Grandview trailhead that time. Got that trip mixed up a little with a previous trip (one that was actually before the new law went into effect.) All accurate except for the parking location/bus part =)

Last edited: