Thread: SAF files amicus brief in Nordyke case

SAF files amicus brief in Nordyke case

I'm sure you all have noticed my entries have been sporadic the past week. There are two reasons.

First, the "new" Examiner.com publishing mechanics simply suck. S-U-C-K!!!!!

Secondly, my mother passed away on Sunday and I've been a trifle busy with that.

Dave W.

================================================== ====================

SAF files amicus in Nordyke case; 10-year-olds and guns

As SAF founder and Executive Vice President Alan Gottlieb of Bellevue put it, “Strict scrutiny is the standard of review to which all constitutionally-protected fundamental civil rights must be held. We believe, in the wake of Heller and McDonald, that the Ninth Circuit must act decisively to protect the Second Amendment from willy-nilly regulation by anti-gun public officials.”

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-i...-olds-and-guns

Or try this:

http://tinyurl.com/28pnorp

Sorry to hear about your mother Dave. We'll give you as much slack as you need in this time of grieving.

Let's not forget the parent

Let’s talk about a “reasonable” gun control law. How about one that requires a blistered butt as punishment for 10-year-olds who try armed robbery on Metro buses?
    As well as the same punishment for the parent. Until parents are held accountable for their "minor child's" actions we won't be making much progress. Give Mom or Dad a day or so in jail (or a scorched butt) for failure to properly supervise their children. I have no idea how they did it but for some reason MY parents knew everything I was doing and where I was doing it before I left home. Today's parents seem to care less. The only time a parent or guardian shows up in the picture it is to "explain away" the twerp's actions. Society is to blame, the economy is to blame, their minority status is to blame, their poverty is to blame. Everything and everyone else but themselves.

It's time to reject all the excuses and place some incentive on parents to keep track of their kids. Make them subject to the same penalty as their kids would be.

Am I wrong, or is it still true that in WA state I cannot be prosecuted if my kid does damage with my firearm?

Accidental shooting to armed robbery... doesn't fall on me at all.

Personally I find that ridiculous.

If I can't keep my gun out of the hands of my own kid I deserve to go to jail.

Sorry, a tad OT

Daddy:

Nope, that's propery ON TOPIC as I brought it up in the column.

Dave,

Thanks, the brief is interesting reading.

This may be related to the troubles you're having, but the links in the article don't work, and you may want to provide a direct link to the brief and/or the SAF site.

Edit: Oops, I was reading the 2008 brief, so if there's a new one, it may not be posted yet.
    Last edited by geojohn; 08-20-2010 at 02:42 PM.

Here's the recent (8/18/2010) SAF brief: http://www.calgunlaws.com/images/sto...ordyke/saf.pdf (PDF, 168kB)

My condolences on the loss of your mother, Dave.

And another great column, as usual.