Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody see this? A friggin' 10 year old?

Anybody see this? A friggin' 10 year old?

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...oyshot20m.html

I admit, I am a bit behind the local news this week...

Okay, so I guess this should not surprise me, but armed robbery by a 10 year old?

I'm a bit confused as to why the 17 year old is not in custody facing weapons charges.

But I am more concerned about the idea of a 10 year old holding me up at gun point. This is one self defense situation I have never considered before. I guess I better get on that because my initial reaction is that I could NEVER shoot a little kid. But one pointing a gun at me? When does he cease to be a child and become BG with a gun?

I dont know how anyone else sees this but I have 4 children and a loving wife. I dont care how old you are, I will do what i have to do to go home to them everyday of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by tat2ed_guy View Post
    I dont know how anyone else sees this but I have 4 children and a loving wife. I dont care how old you are, I will do what i have to do to go home to them everyday of my life.
    +1 Im going home to see my kids PERIOD!

10 years old ... 30 years old makes no difference to me. Point a firearm at me and hopefully my reaction time is fast enough so I am the one leaving standing up.
    - Knowledge is power and there IS strength in numbers -

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    - Thomas Jefferson

When there is a problem with kids and guns, where are the parents?

Thursday in Juvenile Court, according to the newspapers and KIRO radio, which has been repeating the story all morning Friday, the mother of all three suspects tried to keep her youngster out of detention, and accused the court of “railroading” her kids.

That just doesn't pass the smell test....

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-i...re-the-parents

Or try this:

http://tinyurl.com/26sznbe

man, I'd have a REAL tough time with that...I want to be the one to go home at the end of the day...but man I'd wrestle with that for the rest of my life. that would be tough.....

Quote Originally Posted by JSlack View Post
    man, I'd have a REAL tough time with that...I want to be the one to go home at the end of the day...but man I'd wrestle with that for the rest of my life. that would be tough.....
    Heartbreaking, in fact...

But as y'all said, the choice is NOT going home to my family.

I guess it's better to live to regret THE BOYS actions?
    Last edited by daddy4count; 08-20-2010 at 03:21 PM.

I would have beat him up, took his gun and his lunch money and told him my dad can beat up his dad!! That'll learn him...

but in all seriousness, yeah, he'd be one little dead gangbanger wanna be.

Quote Originally Posted by flb_78 View Post
    I would have beat him up, took his gun and his lunch money and told him my dad can beat up his dad!! That'll learn him...
    LOL... a little dark humor... just what this thread needed.

Quote Originally Posted by daddy4count View Post
    But as y'all said, the choice is NOT going home to my family.
    I would have to make the choice to go home to the family as well.

I guess it's better to live to regret THE BOYS actions?
    One angle I had not thought of. It was not me that put him up to HIS actions. I REacted to what he was doing.

A threat is a threat. right?

young, old, big, small....it still ends the same way.

... in a way I'm glad this came up, only because it gives me one more scenario to contemplate... one more decision made ahead of time.

:/

The hell that kid "didn't know what he was doing was wrong." Thirteen previous robberies and other related charges, we all know he knew he was in the wrong. He is in a gang with his brothers. If you were to ask him, he would not certainly say that what he was doing was right. My almost-two-year-old niece knows when she is in the wrong! The kid needs to go to juvenile with his brothers, and they need some serious counciling.

Joe~

Unhappy 10 Yr old is the one that had the gun

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...oyshot20m.html

I admit, I am a bit behind the local news this week...

Okay, so I guess this should not surprise me, but armed robbery by a 10 year old?

I'm a bit confused as to why the 17 year old is not in custody facing weapons charges.

But I am more concerned about the idea of a 10 year old holding me up at gun point. This is one self defense situation I have never considered before. I guess I better get on that because my initial reaction is that I could NEVER shoot a little kid. But one pointing a gun at me? When does he cease to be a child and become BG with a gun?
    The 17 year old is the victim and the 10 year old is the one that was attempting to rob him and the 10 year old is the one that had the gun. The 17 year old saw the gun coming out and he bear hugged the 10 year old to pervent him from pulling it out. That is when the gun went off and shot the 10 year old.

Oh, and the 10 Year had his two older brother's there as well and he is suspected in about 13 other felonies -- an upstanding (upcoming) citizen!

Quote Originally Posted by HeesBonafide View Post
    The 17 year old is the victim and the 10 year old is the one that was attempting to rob him and the 10 year old is the one that had the gun. The 17 year old saw the gun coming out and he bear hugged the 10 year old to pervent him from pulling it out. That is when the gun went off and shot the 10 year old.

Oh, and the 10 Year had his two older brother's there as well and he is suspected in about 13 other felonies -- an upstanding (upcoming) citizen!
    The story says that the "group" of 3 half brothers knew the 17 year old was carrying a gun in his backpack. They grabbed the backpack because they wanted the gun. The gun went off during the altercation and hit the 10 year old.

All 4 "boys" should have been arrested and tried as adults.

Yep, agreed... just because he was a victim does not mean the 17 yr old was not breaking the law as well.

How many charges, three? Possession of a loaded firearm, concealed, serial numbers filed off

I still cannot shake the horrific idea of having to draw down on a young kid...

Watch the Video at the bottom of the article

Quote Originally Posted by flb_78 View Post
    The story says that the "group" of 3 half brothers knew the 17 year old was carrying a gun in his backpack. They grabbed the backpack because they wanted the gun. The gun went off during the altercation and hit the 10 year old.

All 4 "boys" should have been arrested and tried as adults.
    It specifically states in the video that the 10 year had the backpack with the gun.

Something tells me though that ALL of them are not model citizens.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by HeesBonafide View Post
    It specifically states in the video that the 10 year had the backpack with the gun.

Something tells me though that ALL of them are not model citizens.
    Im afraid Im not seeing a video at the bottom of the article.

MY own personal belief on this whole situation is that he PARENTS of all involved in this situation not only need counseling and classes on how to BE parents, but they should be tried by proxy as well.

That is the majority of what is wrong with (getting worse btw) people these days. They never got their scrawny little a$$e$ beat for misbehaving and can mouth off at their parents whenever they want to and just be little snot nosed punks and the parents are either NEVER there or just dont care or both.

Yeah growing up my dad was never home (Navy man) but I guarantee you my mom made a list of everything I did while he was gone. (after she punished me for it of course) then when my dad got home he would beat my little butt again for it. And yes my mom worked at least part time most of the time too.

Perhaps that is why I turned out to be "so good" (lol).

Parents need to start being held accountable for the results of their bad/lack of parenting....

P.S. Video link: http://www.king5.com/home/youth-violence-101031684.html
    Last edited by devildoc5; 08-20-2010 at 08:57 PM. Reason: added vid link
    "And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
    E nomine Patri, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti."

"If the rest of the world says: 'War,' I can only say: 'Very well. I do not want war, but no one, however peaceable, can live in peace if his neighbor intends to force a quarrel.'" - Adolf Hitler...

Quote Originally Posted by devildoc5 View Post
    MY own personal belief on this whole situation is that he PARENTS of all involved in this situation not only need counseling and classes on how to BE parents, but they should be tried by proxy as well. ...

Parents need to start being held accountable for the results of their bad/lack of parenting....
    +1

I've gotten gasps and shouts when I've said this before.. But oh well..

A gun is no less deadly in the hand of an 8 year old or an 80 year old.

If a gun was being used in a manner in which is was going to cause intentional harm, Ie a robbery, I don't care how old you are, you're going to be treated the same.

If that means I shot/killed an 8 y/o for pointing a gun at me and demanding money, so be it.

It's either me or him. I'm gonna do my damnedest to make sure I'm going home that night. As with any situation, pulling your weapon is a last resort, so if other means are available, I'll take it. But if it comes down to it, I would shoot. Yeah, it'd suck... But like I said, I wanna go home at the end of the night.

Founder's Club Member
    The hell that kid "didn't know what he was doing was wrong."
    For anyone who doubts this, buy and read Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. It is a novel about a group of children. The lead character is named Ender Wiggin, who got his nickname from his baby sister because she could not pronounce "Andrew".

The most stunning thing about the book is not the story, plot, or setting, all of which are stunning enough. The most stunning thing is the number of people who have written to Card saying, "Yeah! That is exactly how we thought when we were kids!"

Aside from the insight into children, which is really nothing more than a reminder of how you used to think and feel before you "grew up", the book is an amazing story in its own right that turned Card into an internationally recognized and very successful author.

For those who have read and liked it, I'll close with this reminder. The enemy's gate is down!
    Last edited by Citizen; 08-20-2010 at 10:51 PM.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    I would probably have nightmares about it but self preservation and preservation of innocents would come first.

Another thing to think about if this kid is doing this at 10 it is only a matter of time before he does shoot/kill someone.

In thinking about how one should react to the threat of a ten year old with a gun, I think that most of us would have a serious problem understanding the real danger rapidly enough for an effective response.

Think about it - we see a kid with a gun and our first thought would be "toy." No matter how serious or threatening they might try to seem, subconsciously we'd have a hard time not thinking they were "playing" in some manner.

By the time we understood it was NOT a toy, and they weren't playing, it might already be too late, and even after we understood it was real, the difficulty of killing a child would likely slow us down yet again. *sigh*

On the other side of that equation, a ten year old really has no understanding of "death" as a real thing. They would not be delayed in the slightest in pulling the trigger - in fact might even be eager to.

Damn, that is one position I hope NEVER to be put in.
    No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: The officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets. -- Edward Abbey

• • • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Faciémus!• • •

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomas View Post

On the other side of that equation, a ten year old really has no understanding of "death" as a real thing. They would not be delayed in the slightest in pulling the trigger - in fact might even be eager to.

Damn, that is one position I hope NEVER to be put in.
    I can't speak for all kids but I disagree, I seen death, before I was ten and I understood it well.

Being young they might not value life the same way someone who has lived a few years have.

Many kids this young in these areas, have seen or lost family loved ones also, these kids are not as sheltered as many people who haven't had to grow up like this assume.

This is not an isolated incident. Happens all the time

These are not sweet innocent children. These are little gangsters. In that area the Adult 18+ year old gang bangers let the minors carry the guns and do the shooting cause they'll only get a slap on the wrist as compared to the 18YO who'd go to jail.

Now directly to this story. I had a run in with one just like him last week in Rainier Valley. He was trying to threaten a woman into buying booze for him at the Safeway gas station. This 9 or 10year old was threatening a 40 year old woman with a gun to get her to buy liquor for him and 3 friends. When security came out, he told um he'd shoot um if they walked up on him, before they turned tail and left. Do I know if this was the same party? No do I suspect it might be absolutely. The ages described ,atch almost perfectly.

The 10 year old in the story has a 12 year old brother that is suspected in the Monday night shooting at the community center just a couple of blocks away.
    In which the 12 year old had to ditch his gun in a trash can. So that might explain why hthey were going for another gun.
    There is a reason why security officers in that area are almost always armed officers or working with SPD and most wear vests.

The little bangers are alot less hesitant to open fire, as the consequences for them are minor and they don't have any upbringing that says do something different, or the emotional control. They are angry at life, and will strike out at the weakest target they find on a constant basis.

Not excusing in anyway. These little hoods are dangerous as all hell. period. So unpredictable that the older gangbangers of the same gang and their own families are turning them into PD cause they are so out of control and dangerous in that area. They thrive on hurting and intimidating others.
    Last edited by triehl27; 08-22-2010 at 01:46 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast