• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anybody see this? A friggin' 10 year old?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
The hell that kid "didn't know what he was doing was wrong."

For anyone who doubts this, buy and read Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. It is a novel about a group of children. The lead character is named Ender Wiggin, who got his nickname from his baby sister because she could not pronounce "Andrew".

The most stunning thing about the book is not the story, plot, or setting, all of which are stunning enough. The most stunning thing is the number of people who have written to Card saying, "Yeah! That is exactly how we thought when we were kids!"

Aside from the insight into children, which is really nothing more than a reminder of how you used to think and feel before you "grew up", the book is an amazing story in its own right that turned Card into an internationally recognized and very successful author.

For those who have read and liked it, I'll close with this reminder. The enemy's gate is down!

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

I would probably have nightmares about it but self preservation and preservation of innocents would come first.

Another thing to think about if this kid is doing this at 10 it is only a matter of time before he does shoot/kill someone.

Tomas

In thinking about how one should react to the threat of a ten year old with a gun, I think that most of us would have a serious problem understanding the real danger rapidly enough for an effective response.

Think about it - we see a kid with a gun and our first thought would be "toy." No matter how serious or threatening they might try to seem, subconsciously we'd have a hard time not thinking they were "playing" in some manner.

By the time we understood it was NOT a toy, and they weren't playing, it might already be too late, and even after we understood it was real, the difficulty of killing a child would likely slow us down yet again. *sigh*

On the other side of that equation, a ten year old really has no understanding of "death" as a real thing. They would not be delayed in the slightest in pulling the trigger - in fact might even be eager to.

Damn, that is one position I hope NEVER to be put in.

sudden valley gunner

On the other side of that equation, a ten year old really has no understanding of "death" as a real thing. They would not be delayed in the slightest in pulling the trigger - in fact might even be eager to.

Damn, that is one position I hope NEVER to be put in.

I can't speak for all kids but I disagree, I seen death, before I was ten and I understood it well.

Being young they might not value life the same way someone who has lived a few years have.

Many kids this young in these areas, have seen or lost family loved ones also, these kids are not as sheltered as many people who haven't had to grow up like this assume.

triehl27

This is not an isolated incident. Happens all the time

These are not sweet innocent children. These are little gangsters. In that area the Adult 18+ year old gang bangers let the minors carry the guns and do the shooting cause they'll only get a slap on the wrist as compared to the 18YO who'd go to jail.

Now directly to this story. I had a run in with one just like him last week in Rainier Valley. He was trying to threaten a woman into buying booze for him at the Safeway gas station. This 9 or 10year old was threatening a 40 year old woman with a gun to get her to buy liquor for him and 3 friends. When security came out, he told um he'd shoot um if they walked up on him, before they turned tail and left. Do I know if this was the same party? No do I suspect it might be absolutely. The ages described ,atch almost perfectly.

The 10 year old in the story has a 12 year old brother that is suspected in the Monday night shooting at the community center just a couple of blocks away.
In which the 12 year old had to ditch his gun in a trash can. So that might explain why hthey were going for another gun.
There is a reason why security officers in that area are almost always armed officers or working with SPD and most wear vests.

The little bangers are alot less hesitant to open fire, as the consequences for them are minor and they don't have any upbringing that says do something different, or the emotional control. They are angry at life, and will strike out at the weakest target they find on a constant basis.

Not excusing in anyway. These little hoods are dangerous as all hell. period. So unpredictable that the older gangbangers of the same gang and their own families are turning them into PD cause they are so out of control and dangerous in that area. They thrive on hurting and intimidating others.

Last edited:

Tomas

Yup. They are just like young poisonous snakes - they'll bite and kill you without even knowing why. Incredibly dangerous, hardly any knowledge, intelligence, or experience, almost purely instinct and reaction. Dangerous predators. Feral animals.

Without proper guidance and training they will just learn to be better predators as they get older and gain experience. The only time to correct that is at the beginning, when they are young, when they can be properly trained to interact nicely with others.

Where is the blame? Solely on the parents. I didn't turn them lose as feral young ones, to learn from other feral, dangerous predators, their parents did. It is the responsibility of the parents to prevent their children from turning into 10 year old conscience-less killers.

The parents need to be held accountable for the actions of the youngsters they have failed to train, failed to educate, failed to control, failed to love, and turned lose on society.

Maybe if they are held accountable for their incredibly poor raising of their kids, and learn that by turning them lose on society they personally will have a heavy price to pay, they might be pushed in the direction of doing a better job just to protect themselves.

Sorry - I guess one of my buttons was pushed. I'll go quietly. :(

sudden valley gunner

Yup. T

The parents need to be held accountable....

Maybe if they are held accountable for their incredibly poor raising of their kids, and learn that by turning them lose on society they personally will have a heavy price to pay, they might be pushed in the direction of doing a better job just to protect themselves.

Sorry - I guess one of my buttons was pushed. I'll go quietly. :(

I agree for the most part. But as a parent I learned never to say my kid will never do that......kids will have different personalities and some will just go down wrong paths no matter what the parents do.

I remember an older guy talking to me about this when I was younger. He said you can look at parents of multiple children and if only one is 'bad' and the others are good, the parents are doing what they are supposed to. If only one is good and the others bad than they are not doing what they are supposed to. I believe the latter has become the status quo in parts of our society.

When Roe vs. Wade was ruled in the courts, there was many reasons why single mothers didn't want or should have had children, with the stigma that came with it in society. But until Roe vs. Wade there were many "unwanted" children born. Now with the stigma gone (I am not judging here) and government incentives to have children I fear a second crime wave is coming on top of bad economics and homes were there are no parental supervision. Some economist have seen the pattern of the increase of unwanted/unloved children coming of age to the increase of violent crime.

amzbrady

The whole family should have their citizenship taken away and put afloat out to sea. You cant rehabilitate people with this kind of mentality. You can only punish them which means we will support them for the rest of their lifes as they go in and out of prison. The parents blame the city and society for not providing enough for the children to do and for suppressing them and holding them back. If anything send them to California and let the liberals have them.

Leatherneck

Come on guys!

He's only 10! He doesn't know it's a crime!
[/sarcasm]

I used to think it was all the parents' fault too and should be be held COMPLETELY responsible. I've changed my position slightly because my 18 yr old has turned out wrong. Now, he's not out robbing people, but he's definitely not adding anything to society. My other 3 children are turning out quite good. All I can do is hope the oldest grows up and drops the rebellion.

amlevin

The parents need to be held accountable for the actions of the youngsters they have failed to train, failed to educate, failed to control, failed to love, and turned lose on society.

(

I totally agree with this statement and if it was up to me both parent and child would stand side by side in court to answer for any crime comitted by the kid.

Here's the problem. If you think members of this community (meaning gun owners like us) know the Constitution and scream whenever our rights are infringed, you ain't seen anything like what these "parents" can do. Especially parents in a minority community. They have figured out how to make every clause work for them and there is also a big difference. When a Gun Owner's rights are infringed either by law, law officer, or legislative act, we have to SEEK assistance from the legal community and activist organizations. In most cases we have to hire an attorney and only if we can afford it does our complaint get anywhere.

When anyone like a parent of a kid like this is called to account for their child's actions, there are organizations that RUN TO THEIR AID like spectators at a nude parade. They show up in force and start holding news conferences from the moment of arrest. They have money to burn and it never seems to run out. In the end, these parents end up getting excused from responsibility and the offender ends up serving some "detention time" at best.

Tomas- on your earlier post about facing a kid with a gun, as far as I am concerned I am merely facing a gun. I have been trained over many years to recognize threat and react accordingly. A kid alone can be a threat. A kid with a gun is unquestionably a threat and requires a response. Age is not a consideration.

It only took a short time for the GI's arriving in Viet Nam in the 60's to learn this lesson.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Who had the gun?

Every other article is different. One article in the Seatle time says the 10 year old had the gun, then they say in another the 17 year old had it. Who had the gun?

Jayd1981

It sounds like the older half brother had the backpack with the gun. It does get confusing when they refer to everyone other than the 10yr old as "the older kid". The 17yr old was not carrying the gun until after the shots went off and he grabbed the assailants backpack (gun inside) and ran off. That is what I gathered from the several articles that have been put up so far.

daddy4count

As I understand it... the 17 year old had a .22 in his backpack, which the other three knew about.

The 12 year old (brother) had to ditch his gun the prior week (allegedly because it was used in another crime), so the speculation is that he and the 10 and 14 year old brother were going to take the gun belonging to the 17 year old... coz they needed another gun after ditching theirs...

They boarded the bus, the 10 year old attempted to take the gun out of the 17 year old's backpack. The gun was fired 3 times from inside the backpack as he tried (there were 3 bullet holes in it) and one of the bullets struck the 10 year old in the arm.

amzbrady

They showed an interview with the Aunt, not mother, where she basically blamed society and the city for not providing things for the kids to do, and to keep them off the streets.

dukenukum

If I, as a member of this neglectful society, were to accept my portion of the blame for his actions would I then be allowed to spank his little butt?

NO,NO,NO we must never discipline the little darlings in such a matter. You must reason with them and appeal to their betterselves. ARGH I cannot type this bat tripe anymore. they don't need spanked they need 6 no 12 inches of belt worn off on their backsides it has worked for centuries a perfect plan put in place by GOD/evolution I don't care which one you believe in, it works.

Last edited:

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Coffee

Remember we are in America where we don't have to take responsibility for our actions. Just ask the lady that spilled coffee on herself.

devildoc5

They showed an interview with the Aunt, not mother, where she basically blamed society and the city for not providing things for the kids to do, and to keep them off the streets.

How true! Because it is society and the city's job to raise the kids. Obviously the parents couldnt do it.

Why dont we just confiscate all kids and put them all in group homes so we know they are getting plenty of "activities" on a daily basis and arent going to be allowed to run the streets with no adult supervision?

Seriously come on! People need to start taking blame for the things they do or dont do. Not blame everyone else for their action/lack of action....

amlevin

Seriously come on! People need to start taking blame for the things they do or dont do. Not blame everyone else for their action/lack of action....

Why not make the punishment appropriate for the crime? If one commits an adult crime then they get the adult treatment. Save this "Juvie" system for those that shoplift baseball cards and "borrow" the neighbor kids bike.

Kids today have figured out the system better than those who run it. They know full well that they can get away with just about anything and any punishment to them won't be any worse than school detention.