• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Arts, Beats, and Eats Liquor License

PDinDetroit

Moved this topic to a new thread to ensure the information is not lost.

The ABE Liquor License does indeed cover the ENTIRE FESTIVAL GROUNDS, as confirmed by Jon Witz, President of ABE Inc, and the Royal Oak Police Department. We have gotten word that the Liquor License Package has been reviewed and approved and is awaiting final approval by Linda Ellsworth of the MLCC.

Due to MCL 750.234d, a person without a CPL will not be able the Open Carry at the ABE Festival. I know we have heard from the Royal Oak Police and the Oakland County Sheriff that they will not hassle anyone Open Carrying nor arrest anyone for violation of this law. I cannot, in good conscience, recommend that a person without a CPL Open Carry at the ABE Festival, nor transport a firearm encased to/from a residence/business within the Festival Grounds. I do believe that it is a RIGHTS VIOLATION and that action still needs to be taken.

The following are the points that need to be addressed with the MLCC (Michigan Liquor Control Commission) for making the Entire Festival Grounds an Establishment under the MI Liquor Control Act:

1. Allow Alcohol to be possessed and consumed on Public Streets/Sidewalks in Violation of Royal Oak City Ordinance 278-35 (Disorderly Conduct).

2. Allow Minors Under 17 to be admitted to or remain in a place where alcohol is sold and consumed without Direct Parental Supervision (MCL 750.141). The fair is not being billed as an Adult Event/Venue.

3. Allow NON-CPL Holders to be prohibited from possession, carry, and transport of firearms on Public Streets/Sidewalks for any lawful purpose according to MCL 750.234d (h). This does not just cover Open Carry for Non-CPL Holders, it includes lawful firearm transport to/from residences/businesses within the Festival Grounds. Any Non-CPL holder would AUTOMATICALLY be guilty of a MISDEMEANOR just by leaving their residence/business with an encased firearm.

4. The violation of US Constitution 2nd Amendment and MI Constitution Article 1 Section 6 since the Festival Grounds encompass Public Streets/Sidewalks, Residences, and Businesses.

I urge you to contact the MLCC, addressing these concerns to Linda Ellsworth (Licensing) and Nida Simona (MLCC Chairperson).

MLCC Email: MLCCINFO2@michigan.gov

scot623

I took offense to Jon Witz advocating on his AB&E website for people to write in and work to change firearm laws. I would prefer to change the laws so alcohol cannot legally be consumed on public streets and sidewalks! The fact this "fair" is causing lawful minors and non-cpl holders to lose rights on public streets and sidewalks needs to addressed. I've called the Attorney Generals office. I'll update if/when I am called back.

scot623

It came from me personally calling the Special Licensing division of the MLCC 517-322-1326. I have been in contact with MLCC on this issue multiple times over the past 3 weeks. Linda Elsworth has the file on her desk. She will be back in the office Tuesday when she will gather the info the committee requested, then issue final approval.

G22

So in reality, regardless of whether it's enforced or not, only people with a CPL would be able to carry? and only openly?

Is that correct? No CC?

PDinDetroit

So in reality, regardless of whether it's enforced or not, only people with a CPL would be able to carry? and only openly?

Is that correct? No CC?

Yes, since the entire Festival Grounds will be an Open Carry Alcohol Zone.

Jon Witz confirmed that the majority of income is NOT from sales of alcohol by the glass, so CC is permitted.

Last edited:

scot623

The festival DOES NOT RECEIVE IT'S PRIMARY SOURCE OF INCOME FROM ALCOHOL SALES. MCL 28.425o is not in play here. Jon Witz has said parking revenue is the largest portion of income. CONCEALED CARRY WITH CPL IS LAWFUL.

stainless1911

Banned
Why not? It is my opinion that lawful purpose is not an all inclusive list, although some LEOs do not share this opinion. One almost charged me with it a couple months ago, except that I was able to prove that I was transporting to my house from my parents house. This fell under, ..."(vii) While en route to or from his or her abode to a private property location where the pistol is to be used as is permitted by law, rule, regulation, or local ordinance."

If I had not been in possession of the complete printed law, and allowed to read it back to the officer, I would have been charged.

If you cannot legally posses the firearm ate ABE because of the alcohol loophole, then you would be in violation of 231a. There is no case law that I am aware of, although this AB&E thing could possibly produce one. If someone is charged under this, please do not take a plea deal, find a way to see it through.

PDinDetroit

Why not? It is my opinion that lawful purpose is not an all inclusive list, although some LEOs do not share this opinion. One almost charged me with it a couple months ago, except that I was able to prove that I was transporting to my house from my parents house. This fell under, ..."(vii) While en route to or from his or her abode to a private property location where the pistol is to be used as is permitted by law, rule, regulation, or local ordinance."

If I had not been in possession of the complete printed law, and allowed to read it back to the officer, I would have been charged.

If you cannot legally posses the firearm ate ABE because of the alcohol loophole, then you would be in violation of 231a. There is no case law that I am aware of, although this AB&E thing could possibly produce one. If someone is charged under this, please do not take a plea deal, find a way to see it through.

Even if charged, I cannot see how it would stick since it is not an all-inclusive list. This has been discussed to death, please search or open a new thread on this topic. We need to keep this thread on track.

sasha601

The same venue (ABE festival) can not be classified one way for the purpose of enforcing gun laws and be classified the other way in respect to "no minors under 17 without adult where liquor is sold" law.

If City, Police and ABE insists that the whole festival is one big facility licensed to sell alcohol, then they can not allow minors under 17 to enter festival. If they do, then this is not one big facility and non-CPL carriers should be allowed to OC.

We need to insist that City, Police and ABE to clearly define how both situations will be enforced. Without unambiguous clarification, attending public will be put in legal jeopardy.

Shall we attend next Royal Oak Commission Meeting and demand this to be clarified?

PDinDetroit

The same venue (ABE festival) can not be classified one way for the purpose of enforcing gun laws and be classified the other way in respect to "no minors under 17 without adult where liquor is sold" law.

If City, Police and ABE insists that the whole festival is one big facility licensed to sell alcohol, then they can not allow minors under 17 to enter festival. If they do, then this is not one big facility and non-CPL carriers should be allowed to OC.

We need to insist that City, Police and ABE to clearly define how both situations will be enforced. Without unambiguous clarification, attending public will be put in legal jeopardy.

Shall we attend next Royal Oak Commission Meeting and demand this to be clarified?

The nest Royal Oak City Commission Meeting will occur after the ABE Festival.

B

Bikenut

Perhaps this is a silly question...

If Royal Oak's festival assigned police have agreed not to enforce any laws what would preclude a State Police officer wandering around the festival from arresting OC'ers without CPL in a licensed liquor "establishment"?

Possible trap there?

Another "trap" to consider.... this one public relations...

Much effort was expended by people OC'ing to get Royal Oak to abide by the law. Now along comes folks illegally OC'ing (not obeying the law) just because the police promised not to enforce the law.

Regardless of if the police promised not to enforce any violations.... violations are still violations... and rest assured a big stink will be made of the hypocrisy of OC inherent in all that.

stainless1911

Banned
Even if charged, I cannot see how it would stick since it is not an all-inclusive list. This has been discussed to death, please search or open a new thread on this topic. We need to keep this thread on track.

Its not off topic in any way, this could be a real threat to someone. I know this has been discussed ad nauseum, I was one on the main participants. We know that its not an all inclusive list, but without a case law, a person may find themselves charged. Although I would love to see this brought to a case law, I would hate to see anyone go through the time, expense, and misery of getting it there.

PDinDetroit

Perhaps this is a silly question...

If Royal Oak's festival assigned police have agreed not to enforce any laws what would preclude a State Police officer wandering around the festival from arresting OC'ers without CPL in a licensed liquor "establishment"?

Possible trap there?

Another "trap" to consider.... this one public relations...

Much effort was expended by people OC'ing to get Royal Oak to abide by the law. Now along comes folks illegally OC'ing (not obeying the law) just because the police promised not to enforce the law.

Regardless of if the police promised not to enforce any violations.... violations are still violations... and rest assured a big stink will be made of the hypocrisy of OC inherent in all that.

I would imagine that there is no guarantee against arrest and/or prosecution for a law on the books.

Taurus850CIA

The ABE Liquor License does indeed cover the ENTIRE FESTIVAL GROUNDS, as confirmed by Jon Witz, President of ABE Inc, and the Royal Oak Police Department. We have gotten word that the Liquor License Package has been reviewed and approved and is awaiting final approval by Linda Ellsworth of the MLCC.
Sneaky sonsofbiscuits.... I was afraid of that.

coffee4meplz

Time for another council meeting? Find out if RO is going to stand up to their "Disorderly Conduct" Statute?

I for one don't want a bunch of drunks walking the streets while my kids are trying to have a good time. I mean, My God! Just think of those 300lb Hillbilly's stumbling around. For God sakes people, one of them could fall over and crush my little "Johnny". This is an outrage! Stupid people with no common sense, If you want to guzzle your beer fine...Do it at home! Don't ruin it for the rest of use bringing down your 6 packs, spilling your drinks on my kids, driving home drunk...What if my little "Johnny" finds one of your half empty drinks sitting around? Then what? Or you could run my little "Johnny" down while you are intoxicated behind the wheel. I am M.A.D.D about this....It is Chilling to me! my family and others knowing these misfits will be at the AB&E. I for one will not attend if I know these drunks will be down there drinking the devils blood!

I just can't believe that the city will allow these drunk'n fools come to town and ruin it for the rest of us, Those rowdy drunks will come from other towns like Eastpointe, Shelby etc and try to force their drunkeness on our town. How dare they! If this bunch of Misfits want to drink and get drunk, GO TO IRELAND OR RUSSIA AND GET AS DRUNK AS YOU WANT! DONT DO IT HERE....AND ruin it for the rest of us.

You know back in the early part of the 1900's our government took their alcohol away from them for good reason, it was destroying this country and taking away from our family values. It's time our government looks out for the good people once again!

It is time we stand up and tell our legislators to put a stop to the loop holes that these drunks are using to take over our streets. Contact your congress and tell them, NO MORE ALCOHOL IN OUR PUBLIC STREETS! We don't want to stop them from drinking, we just want to make it illegal for them to drink on our public streets! Please sign below to help end the loop hole for these drunks.

*Phone
*Email
*Kiss my _____________ John Witz!

Last edited: