• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Arts, Beats, and Eats Liquor License

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
PD - Your heart & mind were in the right place as usual. Take care of yourself for now & we'll be ready for their BS next year. They better pray not one drunk driver "incident" makes the news. This is something LEWIS B. Patterson knows all about.

PDinDetroit

PD - Your heart & mind were in the right place as usual. Take care of yourself for now & we'll be ready for their BS next year. They better pray not one drunk driver "incident" makes the news. This is something LEWIS B. Patterson knows all about.

Any idea how we would go about FOIA'ing the Police Records for the time the festival is going on? I would think we would be interested in this information...

B

Bikenut

I talked to a reputable attorney well versed in firearm law in regards to filing an emergency injunction...$3000 retainer plus filing fees. Ouch.

This is exactly why it is so difficult to hold government officials/agencies accountable because....

Citizens have extremely limited personal funds to draw upon.

The government has the bottomless pockets of the taxpayer to draw from to pay legal expenses. And they use those bottomless pockets to draw the funds from . And they count on the extremely limited financial resources for the citizens as being a force that can easily, and safely, ignored as they go about using the taxpayer's own money against the taxpayers themselves.

Edited to fix:

And they use those bottomless to draw the funds from. to...

And they use those bottomless pockets to draw the funds from.

Little did I know my forgetting the word "pockets" would more accurately portray what really is going on!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

fozzy71

I talked to a reputable attorney well versed in firearm law in regards to filing an emergency injunction...$3000 retainer plus filing fees. Ouch.

It would cost less to purposely get arrested for OUIL, just to try and give them a black-eye in the press, than it would be to go through proper channels.

Any idea how we would go about FOIA'ing the Police Records for the time the festival is going on? I would think we would be interested in this information...

indeed......

This is exactly why it is so difficult to hold government officials/agencies accountable because....

Citizens have extremely limited personal funds to draw upon.

The government has the bottomless pockets of the taxpayer to draw from to pay legal expenses. And they use those bottomless to draw the funds from . And they count on the extremely limited financial resources for the citizens as being a force that can easily, and safely, ignored as they go about using the taxpayer's own money against the taxpayers themselves.

You sir, are a credit to your generation. I hope to shake your hand some day.

B

Bikenut

-snip-

You sir, are a credit to your generation. I hope to shake your hand some day.

Well that is one to mark on the calendar!! I've been called many things in my lifetime but "a credit to your generation" most assuredly is a first!!

Much appreciated Fozzy71... and I hope to meet every OC'er in Michigan someday. Each and every one of you (us) is a warrior in the fight for everything that is good in the U.S. of A.. And I would consider it a great privilege to shake hands with each and every one of y'all.

springerdave

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA
Shake

Well that is one to mark on the calendar!! I've been called many things in my lifetime but "a credit to your generation" most assuredly is a first!!

Much appreciated Fozzy71... and I hope to meet every OC'er in Michigan someday. Each and every one of you (us) is a warrior in the fight for everything that is good in the U.S. of A.. And I would consider it a great privilege to shake hands with each and every one of y'all.

I'll be in Sag-a-patch on Tuesday, where do you want to meet? PM me.

fozzy71

I'll be in Sag-a-patch on Tuesday, where do you want to meet? PM me.

Sorry for the OT:

I think I sent this in a PM but it is not showing in my sent messages list, so I am reposting here:

'I work from home, and do not have a car currently, so I don't travel very far from roseville/home. Any time you might be in the area, please give me some notice, and I would be glad to meet you. I ride my bicycle (weather depending) 5 - 10+ miles a day, round trip. I would be glad to meet you (and your wife) some where nearby for coffee/lunch, if you are ever in the area. We don't have much furniture yet (for the living-room), but you are more than welcome to stop by my home as well, if you are ever in the area.'

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
FOIA's ABE

I would think asking for a copy of all 911 dispatch calls in the area of ABE for the days/times involved? This could get expensive as I am sure they will pile on any fee/time [this is public info but must be redacted to protect individuals names etc..] they can to discourage the info getting out.

Last edited:

Bronson

Is it Royal Oak's policy to respond to all 911 calls? Maybe we should flood their system with calls to report unaccompanied minors and people walking on public streets while drinking.

:banghead::banghead:

Bronson

Last edited:

Small Arms Collector

Jon Witz was always nice, polite, and had positive things to say about gun owners/carriers. He simply believed that it was in fact legal to prohibit firearms at his event. In the times i heard him speak in public, he never had negative things to say about oc'ers.

I know he is since decided to take the fight to Lansing, and that's ok as we each have the right to petition our government. Any sort of "gun control" would be political suicide in congress at the moment.

I do not think he is the enemy. He simply was uneducated about firearm preemption. nor do i think he wants anything bad to happen at ABE.

My guess is that the license will be approved, but restrict areas where alcohol can be consumed, sort of like a beer tent. I would like to think that the issue with minors being allowed in without parents, and the issue of home and business owners being unable to transport their firearms would be enough of a legal argument to keep them from making the entire festival grounds a place where alcohol is served.

waiting impatiently...........

He say he is not the enemy, but his "taking the fight to Lansing", and openly petitioning against our rights would seem to me to clearly make him an enemy.

Small Arms Collector

He's a politician, they are snakes and liars. A good politician is one who can smile in your face, and stab you in the back at the same time.

+1 obango is also very well spoken (when his teleprompter is working that is), but don't think for a second that he is not our enemy, the enemy of Freedom, and an enemy of our Country.

ghostrider

"Honest Mr/Mrs Reporter, I have been attending these AB&E's for years and always carried my concealed handgun with me. But because of the Liquor license for this one I now have to OC. If they hadn't asked for the Liquor license to cover the whole grounds, I could have CC'ed instead of OC."

Last edited:

RabbiVJ

Campaign Veteran
i havent had a chance to read the whole topic but i just wanna get a summary of what happened with the licence? does this sound correct?

-licence got approved, but it covers the WHOLE area correct?
-since this covers the whole area, but the majority source of income is NOT alcohol, cc is allowed correct?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
Michigan really needs to confront its alcohol culture

Moved this topic to a new thread to ensure the information is not lost.

The ABE Liquor License does indeed cover the ENTIRE FESTIVAL GROUNDS, as confirmed by Jon Witz, President of ABE Inc, and the Royal Oak Police Department. We have gotten word that the Liquor License Package has been reviewed and approved and is awaiting final approval by Linda Ellsworth of the MLCC.

Due to MCL 750.234d, a person without a CPL will not be able the Open Carry at the ABE Festival. I know we have heard from the Royal Oak Police and the Oakland County Sheriff that they will not hassle anyone Open Carrying nor arrest anyone for violation of this law. I cannot, in good conscience, recommend that a person without a CPL Open Carry at the ABE Festival, nor transport a firearm encased to/from a residence/business within the Festival Grounds. I do believe that it is a RIGHTS VIOLATION and that action still needs to be taken.

The following are the points that need to be addressed with the MLCC (Michigan Liquor Control Commission) for making the Entire Festival Grounds an Establishment under the MI Liquor Control Act:

1. Allow Alcohol to be possessed and consumed on Public Streets/Sidewalks in Violation of Royal Oak City Ordinance 278-35 (Disorderly Conduct).

2. Allow Minors Under 17 to be admitted to or remain in a place where alcohol is sold and consumed without Direct Parental Supervision (MCL 750.141). The fair is not being billed as an Adult Event/Venue.

3. Allow NON-CPL Holders to be prohibited from possession, carry, and transport of firearms on Public Streets/Sidewalks for any lawful purpose according to MCL 750.234d (h). This does not just cover Open Carry for Non-CPL Holders, it includes lawful firearm transport to/from residences/businesses within the Festival Grounds. Any Non-CPL holder would AUTOMATICALLY be guilty of a MISDEMEANOR just by leaving their residence/business with an encased firearm.

4. The violation of US Constitution 2nd Amendment and MI Constitution Article 1 Section 6 since the Festival Grounds encompass Public Streets/Sidewalks, Residences, and Businesses.

I urge you to contact the MLCC, addressing these concerns to Linda Ellsworth (Licensing) and Nida Simona (MLCC Chairperson).

MLCC Email: MLCCINFO2@michigan.gov

Very interesting points - I think that this whole festival effort shows that Michigan really needs to confront its alcohol culture and ask itself if this is really what is good for michigan.

Question - is the type of alcohol license being issued the type that requires open carry by CPL holders? Or is it the type of CPL license that allows CPL holders to carry concealed if they want to?

scot623

Very interesting points - I think that this whole festival effort shows that Michigan really needs to confront its alcohol culture and ask itself if this is really what is good for michigan.

Question - is the type of alcohol license being issued the type that requires open carry by CPL holders? Or is it the type of CPL license that allows CPL holders to carry concealed if they want to?

Our statues look at liquor licenses 2 ways. 1. Without a CPL, NO CARRY is allowed. 2. With a CPL, CC is allowed as long as the establishment licensed to sell liquor DOES NOT RECIEVE IT'S PRIMARY SOURCE OF INCOME FROM LIQUOR SALES BY THE GLASS FOR CONSUMPTION ON PREMISES. If that threshold is met, OC is required.

PDinDetroit

Agreed! I will be creating a second Open Letter to MI Legislators shortly to address the points you mention with copies to MADD, SADD, etc.

ABE Inc, has confirmed that the primary source of income is not sales of alcohol by the glass. A person with a CPL is good to go for CC. I CC'ed to the August 9th City Commission Meeting to make this very point.