• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Off Limits areas

JSlack

Couple questions about off limits areas for carrying.

1. school grounds. Say for instance, you have a kid playing a soccer game/football/etc on school property. legal to carry? event doesn't even have to be a school sponsored event. local YMCA league even....but on school property.

2. one step further...buddies like to fly RC planes...great place to do this is on school property on their fields. legal to pack?

3. This question has to do with Federal buildings/offices. co worker's wife works for a bank in an office building. just so happens the FBI offices are in the same building....legal to carry in that building at all? since the FBI is there...does it fall under being a Federal building?

thanks guys n gals!

Lammo

Couple questions about off limits areas for carrying.

1. school grounds. Say for instance, you have a kid playing a soccer game/football/etc on school property. legal to carry? event doesn't even have to be a school sponsored event. local YMCA league even....but on school property.

2. one step further...buddies like to fly RC planes...great place to do this is on school property on their fields. legal to pack?

3. This question has to do with Federal buildings/offices. co worker's wife works for a bank in an office building. just so happens the FBI offices are in the same building....legal to carry in that building at all? since the FBI is there...does it fall under being a Federal building?

thanks guys n gals!

1) Read RCW 9.41.280 here: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.280 and then tell me what you think.

2) See 1) above.

3) Read 18 US Code 930 here: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000930----000-.html paying particular attention to subsection (g)(1). Unless the Feds own or lease the whole builidng I think the restriction would only apply to the FBI offices. Last time I checked the FBI office in Spokane was located in the Bank of America building. There aren't any of the required signs posted on the main or second floor areas that are generally open to the public.

daddy4count

I'm no lawyer... thank god... but here is my best shot:

1. NO CARRY on school grounds unless you have a CPL, CC and are picking up or dropping off students. This also goes for school events on public grounds.

2. See #1, it doesn't matter if it is a school function or not... if it is on school grounds it is off limits. Certain things, like school sponsored events that have to do with your firearm and you are specifically invited or something like that, are exempt.

3. If it is a public (City/County) building, or a privately owned building... then only the space leased to the FEEBS should be "Federal" - But, if it is a Federal building that happens to have a bank in it... different story

AFAIK

Lammo

this may seem a stupid question...but am I reading right?

(d)(3)- does that mean that you can lawfully carry your hunting rifle into the Fed building if you just got back from hunting, or are going hunting? :eek:

Sure reads that way but I wouldn't advise it or want to be the test case. I believe "or other lawful purpose" from the same subsection would include concealed carry on a permit/license for self-defense, especially after Heller & MacDonald. Again I wouldn't want to be the test case. Also, there is a possible trap out there in the CFR = Code of Federal Regulations, which are the individual agency administrative rules. For example, and the argument about this has been beaten to death on other threads, the Postal Service has a rule that says no firearms in postal facilities, period. There are some that believe this rule supersedes the statute (I disagree). I imagine there are other similar rules out there for other agencies. I think a good analog for your bank in the same building as the FBI example would be the National Parks. You can carry in the National Parks consistent with state law. You cannot carry in the National Park Service Ranger Station, and probably also the Visitor Center, as those would be Federal facilities (unless, as you point out, you are there hunting, if you can do that in the National Parks). IAAL but none of the above should be construed as legal advice.

Lammo

1. NO CARRY on school grounds unless you have a CPL, CC and are picking up or dropping off students. This also goes for school events on public grounds.

2. See #1, it doesn't matter if it is a school function or not... if it is on school grounds it is off limits. Certain things, like school sponsored events that have to do with your firearm and you are specifically invited or something like that, are exempt.

3. If it is a public (City/County) building, or a privately owned building... then only the space leased to the FEEBS should be "Federal" - But, if it is a Federal building that happens to have a bank in it... different story

AFAIK

RE 1. & 2.: but how do you deal with this part: "while being used exclusively by public or private schools"? That's the last part of subsection (1). What if it's Saturday and the grounds aren't being used at all by the school?

devildoc5

Sure reads that way but I wouldn't advise it or want to be the test case. I believe "or other lawful purpose" from the same subsection would include concealed carry on a permit/license for self-defense, especially after Heller & MacDonald. Again I wouldn't want to be the test case. Also, there is a possible trap out there in the CFR = Code of Federal Regulations, which are the individual agency administrative rules. For example, and the argument about this has been beaten to death on other threads, the Postal Service has a rule that says no firearms in postal facilities, period. There are some that believe this rule supersedes the statute (I disagree). I imagine there are other similar rules out there for other agencies. I think a good analog for your bank in the same building as the FBI example would be the National Parks. You can carry in the National Parks consistent with state law. You cannot carry in the National Park Service Ranger Station, and probably also the Visitor Center, as those would be Federal facilities (unless, as you point out, you are there hunting, if you can do that in the National Parks). IAAL but none of the above should be construed as legal advice.

It could also be argued that OC in and of itself is a "lawful purpose" However I myself am too poor and too busy to even THINK of being the test case for this...

sudden valley gunner

AFAIK

You don't have to CC just have to have CPL. I have open carried on my motorcycle to pick up kids at school.