• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Disorderly Conduct with weapons enhancer then, now Guns Free School Zone, turnabout!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartacus

Banned
Right on. For some reason they think that we the people are not responsible enough to take care of ourselves. They are the professionals, they have special training that somehow makes them above us.

So cop bashing helps our cause now?

They are professionals. Most cops are highly trained in their PROFESSION and probably shoot more often and better than most here unless you happen to be a competitive shooter, in addition to all the other training they take.

A high percentage of Americans have become sheeple who cannot take care of themselves so you will have to forgive the officer who runs into you and assumes the same.

J.Gleason

Banned
Bull Puckey. Most cops shoot to qualify once a year. With the way the economy is most departments don't have the funds to pay officers for Range time. The only way they are shooting more than that is if they are doing it on their own time and to be honest most of them would rather spend that time drinking with their friends.

Quit sugar coating the facts. The fact is most of the members here get more shooting time in then LEO's. In fact the Department of Corrections has more training time then the average police department.

There typically is no set standard for training here in Wisconsin in regards to LEO's. They have to meet the initial requirements for firearms when attending the academy after that it is what ever the department requires from there on. Which could be nothing.

Wisconsin Department of Justice
Consistent Training Standards Met in Law Enforcement
A Wisconsin curriculum alignment initiative ensures law enforcement officers statewide consistently meet basic law enforcement training requirements set by the Wisconsin Department of Justice’s (DOJ) Law Enforcement Standards Board. Now, the aligned core of training courses share the same competencies and standards no matter where they are delivered in Wisconsin.

The core group of aligned courses, called "Advanced Standing" is an embedded element of police science associate degree programs offered in 14 Wisconsin’s technical colleges. It is the result of a collaborative effort by those colleges, the Worldwide Instructional Design System (WIDS) and the DOJ’s Training Standards Bureau.

Before this re-design, courses and standards varied from college to college, making it more difficult for students to transfer and for employers to know how future law enforcement officers had been trained. Now all law enforcement officers receive the same training to meet the same standards, according to Dennis Hanson, Director of the Training and Standards Bureau.

"Using WIDS to develop the aligned curriculum ensures the core courses of Advanced Standing have the same standards as those taught at any certified training academy," says Hanson.

In order to qualify for certification as a law enforcement officer in Wisconsin, the Standards Board requires completion of 60 college credit hours and 400-520 hours of basic officer training. Students can qualify for certification one of three ways: by mandatorily attending training after employment; by completing 60 college credits and then attending a 13-week training academy as a civilian student; or by completing an associate degree in criminal justice with an embedded Advanced Standing core.

The associate-degree option allows students to kill two birds with one stone, saving them time and making them marketable for law enforcement positions sooner, according to Hanson. "Many employers give priority to students who’ve gone through Advanced Standing," says Hanson, "because those students don’t have to take the 13-week training academy after they are hired."

Administrators and instructors from each of Wisconsin’s technical colleges worked with the Training and Standards Bureau and WIDS to pull the new core curriculum together, according to WIDS consultant Mike Thompson. In the fall of 2003, the new Advanced Standing core became part of every criminal justice associate-degree program offered in Wisconsin. The result is a curriculum that better facilitates transfers between schools; meets rigorous Law Enforcement Standards Board basic training requirements; better prepares officers for law enforcement work; and simplifies time spent on curriculum at individual colleges.

"Both instructors and deans saw the need for a re-defined curriculum," says Thompson, who led redesign efforts. "They were motivated to share resources, wanted a seamless integration between campuses, and were sensitive to students crossing district boundaries."

The old Advanced Standing core, developed in 1990, lacked modern performance assessments in which students were asked to demonstrate skills and knowledge, according to Hanson. The new core, developed using WIDS software, includes highly organized content and quality performance assessments, including simulations, evidence collection, role-play and more, he says.

The new aligned Advanced Standing core is available for download to all Wisconsin technical colleges at www.curriculumbank.org.

S

Sancho Panza

COMMENT REMOVED BY MODERATOR: Inappropriate

They are professionals. Most cops are highly trained in their PROFESSION and probably shoot more often and better than most here unless you happen to be a competitive shooter, in addition to all the other training they take.

A high percentage of Americans have become sheeple who cannot take care of themselves so you will have to forgive the officer who runs into you and assumes the same.

ODA 226

I'm an ex-Cop and will agree that most cops are very professional. Most cops that I know, however, DO NOT shoot on a regular basis and will only shoot once a year for qualification and have had only minimal training in firearms.

Spartacus

Banned
"Suck, suck, nuzzle, sluurp! Was it good for you, Deputy Dawg? The best this old convict slave ever had! Can I have a cigarette now, please?"

Sock Puppet Alert! Is that you Gleason? Or Dougie? Dougie has been known to use sock puppets in the past... just sayin'. If that is you Dougie I doubt John will let you back on here this time.

I know several cops that love the shooting sports and are nationally ranked shooters. The point being that they ARE PROFESSIONALS. It is their chosen profession which is what that means. They take all kinds of training to stay sharp.

Again, what the hell does cop bashing have to do with promoting OCing in Wisconsin???

Last edited:

sultan62

An extended family member of mine (cop) told me that a couple of years ago they have to qualify once per year, and that is the only range time/ammunition cost the department will reimburse. I'm sure some of them shoot in their free time, but I doubt even half of them shoot once a month.

Also, the cop-bashing isn't necessary. If there is a specific LE incident related to OC, great. If not, save it. There are plenty of good ones out there. Remember that they work in a flawed system and get publicity from the bad apples all the time.

Last edited:

cheezhed

I shoot between 5000 to 7000 rounds a year and I don't think this is an unusual amount for a lot of people. I have a neighbor that is in law enforcement and he shoots nowhere near as much as I do.

Max

Again, what the hell does cop bashing have to do with promoting OCing in Wisconsin???

It's cops that are the ones unlawfully harassing lawful open carriers, so bashing them is to be expected. My view of LEOs has been diminished greatly since getting involved in OC and watching videos of abusive police on youtube. My son was recently unlawfully harassed and ticketed for obstruction (case dismissed) by Milwaukee's storm troopers. The best defense from these thugs in uniforms is a citizenry well informed of laws and rights and audio/video recorders. Departments need to terminate these cops and blacklist them so they never have the authority of law again. That's my two cents.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
It's cops that are the ones unlawfully harassing lawful open carriers, so bashing them is to be expected. My view of LEOs has been diminished greatly since getting involved in OC and watching videos of abusive police on youtube. My son was recently unlawfully harassed and ticketed for obstruction (case dismissed) by Milwaukee's storm troopers. The best defense from these thugs in uniforms is a citizenry well informed of laws and rights and audio/video recorders. Departments need to terminate these cops and blacklist them so they never have the authority of law again. That's my two cents.
And worth much more!

J.Gleason

Banned
Sock Puppet Alert! Is that you Gleason? Or Dougie? Dougie has been known to use sock puppets in the past... just sayin'. If that is you Dougie I doubt John will let you back on here this time.

I know several cops that love the shooting sports and are nationally ranked shooters. The point being that they ARE PROFESSIONALS. It is their chosen profession which is what that means. They take all kinds of training to stay sharp.

Don't need a sock puppet to speak for me I am more than happy to do that personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.