• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stop and Identify

TyGuy

Does Wisconsin have a stop and identify law? i.e. If I am confronted while OCing in WI do I legally have to provide my name or any other information?

I see section 968.24, but that is only supposed to apply when the officer reasonable suspetcs that such person is committing, is about to commit, or has committed a crime.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Yes, Wisconsin does have a stop and identify statute and it is § 968.24

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_a..._.E2.80.9Cstop_and_identify.E2.80.9D_statutes

And you are also right that the officer must have reasonable suspicion that such person is committing, is about to commit or has committed a crime, and may demand the name and address of the person and an explanation of the person’s conduct.

Please note that he must be satisfied with a verbal identification absent authority to seize your documents. Better, don't carry them unless you're driving. (I have put my DL in the registration and insurance packet in the car and don't carry my DL normally.)

Canard

Nope. And, at a Terry stop (RAS) you only have to verbally give your name and address. No 'papers please' unless you are driving.

I'm not sure you are even required to give them your name. Curious if anyone has insight on this. If I don't have to show ID why would i need to give them my name? Why show they be able to add any comments to my file if I'm doing nothing wrong?

paul@paul-fisher.com

As Doug's link said:

968.24 Temporary questioning without arrest. After having identified himself or herself as a law enforcement officer, a law enforcement officer may stop a person in a public place for a reasonable period of time when the officer reasonably suspects that such person is committing, is about to commit or has committed a crime, and may demand the name and address of the person and an explanation of the person's conduct. Such detention and temporary questioning shall be conducted in the vicinity where the person was stopped.

Canard

Yes but ONLY if you are suspected of currently, about to, or have committed a crime. If an leo trys to engage me in a concentual conversation he gets no conversation much less my name.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
No, you are not required to even speak in a consensual conversation. A perfectly adequate response to a request for identification is "Am I free to leave?"

If he wants to make the conversation non-consensual then it becomes a detention arrest and your Fourth and Fifth Amendment Rights kick in his teeth via § 968.24 reasonable suspicion. "I consent to no search or seizure. Call an attorney. I invoke my right to silence." Then STFU! He will search you. He will seize your papers. He may establish your ID. You may be incarcerated. Your firearm will be seized. You will have to sue for its return.

Note that there is no requirement to carry documentation of identification while armed. You have a right to be armed. Your drivers license establishes your privilege to drive.

Last edited:

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
Its good public relations to be nice to cops whenever possible. They are just trying to get through their day and back home again like all of us.

So, what are you saying? That invoking your rights is not being nice? I consider harassment from a government agent without reason as harassment.
So If I am doing nothing outside of the laws as written, why should I be stopped and questioned?

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
So, what are you saying? That invoking your rights is not being nice?

I think what he is saying is that you can be invoke your rights and still be nice.

I'm very polite to police. (you never know what their dash cam catches) ;)

I politely decline to give my name

I politely decline to answer questions

I politely ask if I'm free to leave

I politely repeat that process

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
Frank chose not to talk with police.

The police DID arrest him.

Frank did NOT have to sue to get his firearm back, that will differ with each municipality.

WCI, and Frank DID sue, $10K later the Racine police department has been educated.

I agree with Nik, politely REFUSE, ask if you are free to go, REPEAT. Once the cuffs come out, NOT ONE PEEP, that is what lawyers are for.

TyGuy

I guess I just don't know if I should provide my name/address if a LEO confronts me while OCing. Anything past name/address will not come out of my mouth.

I just don't want to get arrested for obstruction for not giving my name/address if I am legally obligated to give name/address.

xenophon

I've thought about this subject a lot. I'm of the opinion that I'd be gambling to assume they didn't have RAS. I'll be cordial and provide name/address, but no ID.

Other than that, about the only other thing I would say when asked why I'm carrying is "because Sherman and Doyle prevented me from concealing it.......".

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
I guess I just don't know if I should provide my name/address if a LEO confronts me while OCing. Anything past name/address will not come out of my mouth.

I just don't want to get arrested for obstruction for not giving my name/address if I am legally obligated to give name/address.

This battle has already been won.

YOU CAN'T BE CHARGED WITH OBSTRUCTION FOR REFUSING TO GIVE YOU NAME/ADDRESS.

REMAINING SILENT IS NOT A JUSTIFICATION FOR OBSTRUCTION.

Case law proves it so...

“Mere silence is insufficient to constitute obstruction. Henes v. Morrissey, 194 Wis. 2d 339, 533 N.W.2d 802 (1995)”

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
I agree.

One thing I might add is the polite refusal of consent. This throws the responsibility onto the cop for actually having genuine reasonable suspicion. You can always find out after the detention whether he really had valid reasonable suspicion and raise cane in a formal complaint or lawsuit.

Suggested polite refusal:

OCer: "I will tell you my name and address since you have demanded it officer. However, I do not consent. I am only doing it because you have demanded it."

Even better if it is an identity document demand. That is illegal in many states.

Remaining silent will NEVER get you in trouble.

not in Wisconsin (yet)

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Sounds good. But, I wasn't born yesterday. I'm betting there is another legal angle. While obstruction may not be the offense for silence, I am betting there is another penalty. The "law" just wouldn't leave that loophole open for very long.

Is there a penalty for refusing to verbally identify yourself right in the stop-and-identify statute?

I've got 10,000 and an acknowledgement from the Racine city counsel that says refusal to give your name is NOT grounds for obstruction...

Don't lie... Don't give a false name... SILENCE is never a crime (yet) in Wisconsin

http://www.youtube.com/wisconsincarry#p/a/u/1/PuiO8tixuKY