• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about OC..

MrEarp

While I haven't OC'ed yet anywhere but the range, my house and while camping on friends property.

I CC every day. I can easily slip my hand in my pocket and put my hand on my gun if I want to or feel un-comfortable. With out anybody knowing..

What happens if I I feel threatened and put my hand on my pistol while I am open carrying?

Yooper

I wouldn't do it unless a physical attack is imminent. A bunch of punks yelling and screaming at you, in my opinion, doesn't warrant (legally) putting your hand on your gun. Now, if they're approaching you, and you've told them to leave you alone, that's a different story.

stainless1911

Banned
You have to be careful here, although you aren't waving it around, you may be considered to be displaying it. Then again, its your word against theirs. You have a CPL, they are a bunch of thugs. Don't say too much, don't convict yourself.

lapeer20m

on a separate but related note: I often place my elbow on top of my pistol when it is in the holster. Good for retention, and also makes a good arm rest.

As a general rule, I would not grip my pistol while in public unless i was planning to use it.

I do agree that being able to put your hand on your gun without anybody noticing is one advantage of CC in a jacket pocket. I have a .38 special i have cc'd in the pocket of my coat during the winter.

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
As a general rule, I would not grip my pistol while in public unless i was planning to use it.
QUOTE]

I agree wholeheartedly with this statement. this is one reason I have decided to stay with a leg drop holster. My hand naturally hangs in line with the grip, and if I feel uneasy, my hand is often resting against the gun.

Well, if you want to learn, you have come to the right place :) Welcome aboard.

kubel

I do the same thing when I pocket carry. If I'm at the gas station and I feel even slightly uneasy about my security, my hand will casually go into my right pocket and I have a grip with no one knowing. If nothing else, it makes me feel safer. But with OC, you really can't do that without appearing threatening yourself. So I would advise against it.

DanM

What happens if I feel threatened and put my hand on my pistol while I am open carrying?

Never grip your pistol in public unless you imminently fear for the life of yourself or another innocent person. If you feel threatened to that degree, then you are ok to grip your weapon, because it is coming out and you are going to use it to stop the imminent threat.

MILK

I don't open carry yet but as soon as I buy a firearm I will, just wanted to know the experience just oc people had while getting pulled over in a vehicle and having there firearm stored in legal manner, and wat do u say to the officer if ask y do u have a firearm in the vehicle?

Taurus850CIA

I don't open carry yet but as soon as I buy a firearm I will, just wanted to know the experience just oc people had while getting pulled over in a vehicle and having there firearm stored in legal manner, and wat do u say to the officer if ask y do u have a firearm in the vehicle?

1) Nothing

2) As little as possible

3) Less than as little as possible

4) I do not wish to discuss the contents of my vehicle

5) How is that pertinent?

If you reply "yes", it can lead to more fishing. Many officers know when you're being honest, and treat you accordingly. However, if the officer has a tendency toward disrespect of the public, it can result in a ticket. As we all know, that's a bunch of crap, but logic doesn't stop a rogue officer. How you react is ultimately up to you.

Iopencarry

in a loud and commanding voice yell for them to stop what ever it is they are doing. Draw attention to yourself and the situation. The more witness' you have the better. If at all possible, call 911. leave the phone on speaker while you command them to STOP, BACK AWAY" "LAY DOWN NOW" etc.
The 911 call will be recorded, if you yell your commands, the tape will hear them. It will help you(prove defense) if you do have to use the firearm.

Tell the operator what is happening, step by step.

lapeer20m

I don't open carry yet but as soon as I buy a firearm I will, just wanted to know the experience just oc people had while getting pulled over in a vehicle and having there firearm stored in legal manner, and what do u say to the officer if ask y do u have a firearm in the vehicle?

If an officer has the legal authority to search your vehicle, or look in your trunk, they wouldn't be asking permission. They ask permission from people knowing that most people assume they have to allow the cops look in their trunk and the citizen will agree to the search.

The correct thing to say if you do not want an officer looking inside your trunk is: "I do not consent to any searches or seizures"

however.....how you treat an officer may depend on why you were stopped. For instance, if I were doing something wrong, ie 70 in a 55, I would be much more inclined to allow an officer to search my vehicle. An officer has the discretion to enforce or not enforce laws. Letting him search may get you out of a ticket, or at least a reduced ticket. Refusing the search will almost certainly net you a ticket for 15 over.

If you were stopped unjustly: ie: they have information that you have a gun stored in your trunk. Then it is a great time for wash rinse repeat.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?50010-WASH-RINSE-REPEAT

if you have not seen them, these are great video's! (you can watch them for free on youtube, but i cannot get the links at work)

http://flexyourrights.org/

Last edited:

eastmeyers

in a loud and commanding voice yell for them to stop what ever it is they are doing. Draw attention to yourself and the situation. The more witness' you have the better. If at all possible, call 911. leave the phone on speaker while you command them to STOP, BACK AWAY" "LAY DOWN NOW" etc.
The 911 call will be recorded, if you yell your commands, the tape will hear them. It will help you(prove defense) if you do have to use the firearm.

:question::question::question:
troll:question:

Iopencarry

not likely a troll,

Been OCing in CA for over 2 yrs.

why do you think this advice came from a troll? it is good advice and will keep you out of jail if/when you have to use your gun.

The last thing you want is to have a LEO come up on you while you have a gun in your hand pointed at the bad guy, or after shooting the bad guy, and habe that LEO shoot you. A simple phone call to 911 will help.

stainless1911

Banned
If you have a CPL there is no issue, except to disclose immediately. If no CPL, then there is no reason to disclose.
If asked the question of "any guns, drugs, dead bodies, hand grenades in the car tonight sir?" then the best response is to simply say, "There is nothing illegal in the vehicle sir/ma'am." The response will be, "Then you don't mind if I take a look?" You at this time say, "I do not consent to any searches." At which point they will usually ask why not, To which, you do not have to give a reason, but if you must reply, tell them that you don't see the relevance, and that you value your privacy. Get the subject back on the traffic issue that they stopped you for as soon as possible. Attitude body language nerve control, and facial expressions play an important role in these situations.

Also, know these two laws in particular inside and out. Especially the lawful purpose. Print them out, and take them with you if you do not have a CPL.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(bx...g.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-750-234d

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(bx...g.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-750-231a

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(bxxiwfn2u5hgslriqyhndyik))/mileg.aspx?page=home

Its not a comfortable thing to deny a search, but it could get worse. The 4th amendment is just as worth protecting as the second.

eastmeyers

To me it looked like you were answering this question. So yeah if you did this with a LEO, or advocate OCers to do so yes you are a troll. LOL, if this is not the question you were answering maybe we have a misunderstanding...

Iopencarry

the OP asked this in his first post, " What happens if I I feel threatened and put my hand on my pistol while I am open carrying?"

I was replying to this question.

my advice still holds.

IF you feel you need to pull your gun, call 911 and get them coming first(if possible). In that type of situation the LEO's will be your best friend. and the recorder the best witness.

eastmeyers

the OP asked this in his first post, " What happens if I I feel threatened and put my hand on my pistol while I am open carrying?"

I was replying to this question.

my advice still holds.

IF you feel you need to pull your gun, call 911 and get them coming first(if possible). In that type of situation the LEO's will be your best friend. and the recorder the best witness.

Thats cool. The quote button may work better for you than, than the reply button. The thread had already turned, and someone had already asked a new question, and people were answering that one. So if you were going back to the OP (which is fine, maybe even better to stay on topic) hitting the quote button may work better, and not cause confusion, than just hitting reply.