• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about OC..

office888

The difference with OC vs CC.

With CC, the perpetrator does NOT know you're armed. So the only way to establish that you're armed and can/will respond with lethal force if required, is to either draw your weapon, or to push your concealment aside revealing your holstered firearm.

With OC, it is already known that you're armed. If the aggressor has obviously noticed this, it is for sure that either he or she has no regard for her own life / others, or he / she SERIOUSLY means you harm and does not care what harm befalls of him / herself.

It's a situational basis. If you feel as though your life is threatened, by all means, unholster your pistol, and prepare for the worst.

-Richard-

sprinklerguy28

I don't open carry yet but as soon as I buy a firearm I will, just wanted to know the experience just oc people had while getting pulled over in a vehicle and having there firearm stored in legal manner, and wat do u say to the officer if ask y do u have a firearm in the vehicle?

If the firearm is secured and is being transported you have no duty to disclose, no matter if you do or do not have a CPL.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
If the firearm is secured and is being transported you have no duty to disclose, no matter if you do or do not have a CPL.

The only time that I've ever been asked is the one time I was pulled over after I received my CPL, which required I disclose. He asked where it was and where my wallet was. He never asked to see either the firearms or the CPL.

hopnpop

When I OC, and my SA tells me that something's off, I just keep my hand very close to it... often times partially in my pocket. However, after practicing my draw a million times, I haven't noticed any percievable difference in the speed of my draw by altering where my draw hand starts. Keep in mind, too, that I'm drawing from a retention holster. Using a different type of holster may alter the speed of the draw.

Bailenforcer

I use and askins avenger style holster where it rides high under my arm so it's is in the perfect position for a forearm rest. If you watch many police officers also do this placing their forearm on the weapon. It is not drawing nor grabbing the gun but it makes it far easier to draw if all goes bad. But in saying all that when I feel uncomfortable I make distance between me and that person. Most police officers do the same thing if they feel a threat could be ready to jump off. I also position myself on their strong side where I can see any attempt at a draw giving me ample time to respond. But distancing oneself from potential idiots is the best policy. Also keeping your strong side away from their eyesight is an advantage. I turn sideways to a certain degree it makes me a smaller target and they can not see my hand and where it is at. There is never a fool proof method and nothing goes by the books, it takes a keen eye to develop a strategy in each case.

While I haven't OC'ed yet anywhere but the range, my house and while camping on friends property.

I CC every day. I can easily slip my hand in my pocket and put my hand on my gun if I want to or feel un-comfortable. With out anybody knowing..

What happens if I I feel threatened and put my hand on my pistol while I am open carrying?