• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

E-Mail to Spark City Attorneys office.

john-in-reno

City Attorney
Chet Adams
431 Prater Way
Sparks, NV 89431
Phone: (775) 353-2324
Fax: (775) 353-1688
E-mail: cadams@cityofsparks.us
Mr Adams

Nevada originally passed a preemption law in 1989, meaning that counties
and municipalities such as sparks cannot pass gun laws that are more
restrictive than the state law. Some gun ordinances in some parts of the
state were “grandfathered” in at that time, I don't know if that was
true here in sparks. However, in 2007, Senate Bill 92 amended the
preemption law, removing all grandfathered ordinances with the exception
of a handgun registration ordinance. Which only applies to Clark County

This is now known as NRS 268.418 Limited authority to regulate firearms;
restrictions concerning registration of firearms in city in county whose
population is 400,000 or more.

1. Except as otherwise provided by specific statute, the Legislature
reserves for itself such rights and powers as are necessary to regulate
the transfer, sale, purchase, possession, ownership, transportation,
registration and licensing of firearms and ammunition in Nevada, and no
city may infringe upon those rights and powers. As used in this
subsection, “firearm” means any weapon from which a projectile is
discharged by means of an explosive, spring, gas, air or other force.

There is also sections NRS 244.364 and NRS 269.222 that deal with county
and unincorporated areas and are worded similar.

Section 12.24.070 of the Sparks Municipal code states that

A. Except as provided in subsection C, it is unlawful for any person to
carry or wear a firearm in a city park.

B. A "firearm" means any weapon with a caliber of .177 inches or greater
from which a projectile may be propelled by means of explosive, spring,
gas, air or other force.

C. Nothing in this section prohibits the carrying or wearing of a
firearm by a peace officer or the carrying of a firearm pursuant to the
terms of a valid concealed weapons permit.
(Ord. 1383 § 1 (part), 1983.)(Ord. 2339, Amended, 09/11/2006)

This is directly in violation of State preemption laws passed in 1989
and 2007, and Section 12.24.070 of the Sparks Municipal code should be
repealed in its entirety to bring it back in line with State Law.

I respectfully request that you advise all such departments that they
remove this signage and instruct law enforcement that there is no law
against such exercise of rights.

As a law abiding citizen I wish to go about my business without
interference with the comfort of knowing I am able to defend myself and
my family.

I look forward to your cooperation in this matter.

Lets See If I get and intelligent response or one like the Henderson City Atty's office sent "The Big Guy"

john-in-reno

Thank you very much for your input. I am away from my office today and have a full city council meeting on Monday.
I agree with you that this is a matter of great importance and one that deserves immediate attention. I was not aware of this potential conflict in the law and I appreciate you briniging it to my attention.
I have asked one of our attorneys to look into your concerns and report back to me with their research results. Please rest assured that I will independtly look into this as well and I will get back to you within a week with a response.
As a gun owner and a CCW permittee myself , I beleive that all of our citizens enjoy the right to self defense and protection. I can garantee you that if I believe the City's ordinances conflict with Nevada law, I will ask that the ordinances be repealed.
Thank you,
Chet Adams
Sparks City Attorney

Copied from my email, spelling errors and all

Sounds like this might be a good thing but we will see

paintsnow

So Clark County AG says that state preemption still allowes for "grandfathered" laws, but at the moment, Sparks AG initial (although not official) reaction is that city ordinances banning firearms in parks are invalid and should be removed from the books.

Interesting.

The Big Guy

Looks good so far...

Copied from my email, spelling errors and all

Sounds like this might be a good thing but we will see

Thank you for posting this. Assuming it turns out in our favor, I will use this against the City of Henderson, with your permission of course. I am still awaiting further response from the Henderson atty's office.

TBG

john-in-reno

Thank you for posting this. Assuming it turns out in our favor, I will use this against the City of Henderson, with your permission of course. I am still awaiting further response from the Henderson atty's office.

TBG

If it works out in our favor, by all means use it or anything else I do to help out the Open Carry Community.

Maestro Pistolero

So Clark County AG says that state preemption still allowes for "grandfathered" laws, but at the moment, Sparks AG initial (although not official) reaction is that city ordinances banning firearms in parks are invalid and should be removed from the books.

Interesting.

I believe that would be the state Attorney general, although we have this issue in Clark County Parks as well.

john-in-reno

The Response from the Sparks City Attorney

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 9:28 AM, Adams, Chet <cadams@cityofsparks.us> wrote:
Mr. john-in-reno,
The research conducted by this office indicates that the Nevada Legislature has preempted the ability of the City of Sparks to independently regulate the possession of firearms.
Accordingly, this office will take the appropriate steps to ensure that Sparks ordinances do not conflict with Nevada law.
Chet Adams
Sparks City Attorney

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

gunrunner1911

Nothing more to say than. Great Job!
I only wish I lived there to help keep this guy as the City Attorney.

Dangerfish

I think the others get it...They just have their own political opinions and thoughts on the matter and dont care what the law means or says.

calmp9

City Attorney
Chet Adams
431 Prater Way
Sparks, NV 89431
Phone: (775) 353-2324
Fax: (775) 353-1688
E-mail: cadams@cityofsparks.us

Lets See If I get and intelligent response or one like the Henderson City Atty's office sent "The Big Guy"

Is there anything in the Spark Municipal Code about regulating firearms discharges in city parks?

john-in-reno

Is there anything in the Spark Municipal Code about regulating firearms discharges in city parks?

Nothing about Discharge in the parks section but there is something for the city in section 9.66.020

PARKS

Section 12.24.070 Firearms prohibited; Exceptions

A. Except as provided in subsection C, it is unlawful for any person to carry or wear a firearm in a city park.

B. A "firearm" means any weapon with a caliber of .177 inches or greater from which a projectile may be propelled by means of explosive, spring, gas, air or other force.

C. Nothing in this section prohibits the carrying or wearing of a firearm by a peace officer or the carrying of a firearm pursuant to the terms of a valid concealed weapons permit.

(Ord. 1383 § 1 (part), 1983.)

Section 9.66.020 Discharging firearms.

A. Except as provided in subsections B and C of this section, it is unlawful for any person to discharge any gun, pistol or other firearm in or upon any street, highway, alley or other public place, or in, upon or about any building or vacant lot, or any other place within the city.
B. Nothing in this section prevents the establishment and running of a shooting gallery properly enclosed and permitted by license of the city council under the provisions of Title 5 of this code.
C. Nothing in this section applies to any sheriff, deputy sheriff, policeman or other peace officer who discharges any pistol or other firearm in the lawful exercise of his duties.
(1962 Code § 25.095.)

Here is the link to the Sparks Muni code if you would like to research it http://www.ci.sparks.nv.us/governing/muni_code/