• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Search and Rescue

golddigger14s

Activist Member
I am a member of an all volunteer Search and Rescue team in Thurston County. In TC the SAR team are controled by the Sherrifs office. The current Sherrif will not let us carry open or conceled during a Sherrif run search. Which RCW or other document can I use to change his mind? They say it is a liability issue, because if something happens the couny/state could be sued. Thanks for any help.

daddy4count

I am unaware of an RCW that has anything to do with this... technically there is no law AFAIK

But, you could be looking at a case where TCSR has a policy against being armed and on search.

It seems odd to me... considering how often you are likely to be out in the middle of nowhere...

j2l3

That's correct, there is no RCW to reference. Having said that, even as a volunteer, it is an employer/employee relationship and they do get to set rules for their employees while working with/for them, even no guns.

devildoc5

I personally would ask the Sherriff if you could attend some sort of handgun class or demonstrate proficiency to him in order for him to allow you to wear your sidearm on searches. (All on your own dime and time of course). The worst he can say is no right?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Having done ride alongs and other work with LEO you will not be able to carry with their permission. If you want to CC, that will be your only option in a search and rescue situation. (Insurance dictates the answer)

While doing ride alongs with LEO who are friends of mine, they have always let me know how to remove their rifle/shotgun from the console as well as where there back up weapon was.

massivedesign

Both TC SAR and SPSMSAR in TC is unarmed. SPSMSAR was / could be armed by permission of the Sheriff and Mark at one point and time.

The reason is liability, you have not gone through training and firearms classification with Wash State Criminal Justice.

That being said...ifit were me, they call it concealed for a reason. Going through the woods searching for a person, I would prefer to be armed... There are wild animals out there.. If I have to draw and fire upon an animal to save myself, the Sheriff can remove me from SAR.. But at least I will be alive.

Supposedly Snaza is pro SAR and pro equipping SAR. It might be worthwhile to talk to him before elections about it. If he does get elected, it could be good things for TCSO and SAR units.

deanf

Are you in a 4x4 unit? These are normally the only ground-based SAR people who don't piss themselves around guns.

Other units are usually staffed with tree-huggers and other fascist types.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Thanks

Thanks for the replies. Yes I'm 4X4, but believe it or not most SAR people are not anti-gun tree huggers. Heck I call myself a tree hugger. (Don't shoot the tree, just the evil water melon hanging off the branch!). I heard about a horse unit that was allowed special permission to carry in case they had to put a horse down. Then of course there was the idiot that then somehow managed to shoot himself in the leg.

ARADCOM

Other units are usually staffed with tree-huggers and other fascist types.

I do quite a bit of backpacking and if I ever get in trouble I'll be glad that the "tree-huggers and other fascist types" are out looking for me. And whether they're armed or not, I'll be darned glad to see them.