Thread: California Drop list

California Drop list

I have some questions that I had trouble finding the answer too.

Can a firearm that is NOT on the California drop list be possessed in the state of California?

If so, can that weapon be registered with a California CCW?
    "You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence."
    -- Charles A. Beard
    XD(m) 9mm

Presumably you are talking about the California Roster of not unsafe handguns.

This list ONLY applies to handguns for sale by a dealer.

It does NOT apply to handguns imported into the state
    It does NOT apply to handguns traveling through the state nor brought in temporarily
    It does NOT apply to intrafamilial transfers
    It does NOT apply to Private Parter Transfers

I think I covered all the major bases.

I believe he was asking if Californians are 'allowed' to qualify for a CCW with an off roster handgun and carry that off roster handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by heliopolissolutions View Post
    I believe he was asking if Californians are 'allowed' to qualify for a CCW with an off roster handgun and carry that off roster handgun.
    Thank you, this is what I meant to ask.
    "You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence."
    -- Charles A. Beard
    XD(m) 9mm

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bigtoe416's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flagellum View Post
    If so, can that weapon be registered with a California CCW?
    I don't know of any restrictions on which kind of handguns you can put on your CCW application. I think if you lawfully own it, you can put it on the application. CA PC 12050 is the CCW laws. If you really want to make sure you can always read through that section.

Quote Originally Posted by heliopolissolutions View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flagellum View Post
    Thank you, this is what I meant to ask.
    There is no statutory requirement to 'qualify' with a CCW weapon in CA.
    There are no statutory requirements about what types of concealable weapons may be added to a license.
    I can say that LA County does not require that a listed carry piece be on the roster.

But the sad reality is that there are 58 Sherrifs and 480 incorporated cities which might have their own Chief of Police. Because the issuing is discretionary (not 'shall issue') each issuing CLEO can basically get away with almost whatever they want. Some CLEOs do indeed use the roster as an 'approved list' of carry pieces.

Since your account shows you live in NV, I'm guessing you're asking on behalf of someone else. I would recommend you refer them to http://www.calccw.com/ and ask the question there in connection with a particular issuing authority.
    Last edited by mjones; 08-21-2010 at 12:31 PM.

Firearm on CCW License - Contra Costa County

I agree that there is no defined rule and that it is left up to probably any sheriff or Police Chief to decide how they will control your freedoms.

I know of an individual who possess one of the few California CCW permits here in Contra Costa County. He has told me that he can only list two firearms on his permit and that he can't carry a 1911 style firearm because he has been told that they aren't "Safe" carry firearms.

Interesting.

any idea what our CCSO considers safe?

He probably doesn't like wheel guns either. Well, maybe a single action.
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Iopencarry View Post
    any idea what our CCSO considers safe?
    Nope.

Just like no one knows what "Good Cause" is either.

We have a new sheriff in town as of the new year. I do not think he will change how he gives(lol) out CCW's but maybe he will let us know what he thinks.

Thank you for all your help thus far. My scenario is this: I own a firearm(not on the "safe" list) and I want to gift it to my Mom in California so that she could use it for concealed carry (we have a sheriff that understands the second amendment) what would be the lawful way to do so?
    -- Charles A. Beard
    XD(m) 9mm