Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: CPL-Letter to the attorney general (Michigan)

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Jackson,Mi
    Posts
    8

    CPL-Letter to the attorney general (Michigan)

    1
    Last edited by GlockGuy21Sf; 09-02-2010 at 11:36 AM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member ken243's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Clio, MI
    Posts
    141
    In my opinion, you should start over if you have not already sent this letter out. Leave out opinion, state only facts. Leave out that your future goal is law enforcement. While it is good that you have legitimate questions to ask, questioning the top LEO in the state may get you a bad wrap. Ask questions, present facts, statistics and undeniable logic. Gun free zone are just localized gun control. Outlaw guns in those places and only outlaws will have guns. This leaves people defenseless. Also understand that some PFZ's are out of the control of the AG due to federal law. (schools, federal buildings, etc.) While Michigan allows open carry with a CPL in a school zone, federal law states no guns within 1000 feet of a school zone. My Dad lives 90 feet from a school zone. So you can see where this law interferes with the 2A. Many grey areas need to be addressed on both a state and federal level. Good for you on your efforts!

  3. #3
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lansing area, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    6,446
    The Attorney General doesn't make or change law, he only enforces it and a lesser degree opines on it. The letter in my opinion would serve better if you sent it to all of the Representatives and senators in the state..
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

    *The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

  4. #4
    Regular Member malignity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,101
    Also with my CPL, I can carry in a bank however I choose.
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

  5. #5
    Regular Member PDinDetroit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SE, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,336
    Quote Originally Posted by ken243 View Post
    In my opinion, you should start over if you have not already sent this letter out. Leave out opinion, state only facts. Leave out that your future goal is law enforcement. While it is good that you have legitimate questions to ask, questioning the top LEO in the state may get you a bad wrap. Ask questions, present facts, statistics and undeniable logic. Gun free zone are just localized gun control. Outlaw guns in those places and only outlaws will have guns. This leaves people defenseless. Also understand that some PFZ's are out of the control of the AG due to federal law. (schools, federal buildings, etc.) While Michigan allows open carry with a CPL in a school zone, federal law states no guns within 1000 feet of a school zone. My Dad lives 90 feet from a school zone. So you can see where this law interferes with the 2A. Many grey areas need to be addressed on both a state and federal level. Good for you on your efforts!
    I am in agreement with the above statements. I also concur with Venator about sending it representatives instead, as they are the ones who can change the law.

    I would point out FACTS about crimes committed with firearms still occur in PFZ's, especially mass shootings, as criminals do not follow the laws. One good example would be the Luby's Cafeteria Massacre. In Texas at that time, a person could not possess a firearm in a restaurant which changed after this incident. Suzanna Hupp's Testimony is on the web and IT IS MOVING.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luby%27s_massacre

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzanna...ath_of_parents

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Jackson,Mi
    Posts
    8

    Revised

    Would it be a good idea then to revise and foward to some other officials. I know the AG can do some things to make change.

    What we need is a pro gun Govenor to make gun laws less restrictive

  7. #7
    Regular Member eastmeyers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hazel Park, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,383
    Please have someone proof read your draft before you send it. I have already contacted my reps, and it lands on deaf ears, they do not care they are anti gun anyways. Also please get your facts strait. If you are incorrect in your facts how can someone take you seriously. CPL holders can carry in a bank both open or concealed. Also do not expect anyone to take you serious if your spelling and grammar is horrendous.
    Good luck, I hope this works for you, it hasn't for me, hopefully we have better luck after November.
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

    "Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Jackson,Mi
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by eastmeyers View Post
    Please have someone proof read your draft before you send it. I have already contacted my reps, and it lands on deaf ears, they do not care they are anti gun anyways. Also please get your facts strait. If you are incorrect in your facts how can someone take you seriously. CPL holders can carry in a bank both open or concealed. Also do not expect anyone to take you serious if your spelling and grammar is horrendous.
    Good luck, I hope this works for you, it hasn't for me, hopefully we have better luck after November.
    The letter is written in a context that the grammar is supose to convey my feeling. as for the spelling maybe you should take a spelling class because I deffinately spell checked what I wrote. On a further note. The bill of rights gives me the freedome to say whatever I want to whoever I want however I want. so who are you to bad mouth my spelling and grammar anyways?

    But on an even further not thank you for your opinion. I enjoy hearing everyones views on things even if they arent my own. thats how we learn as people

  9. #9
    Regular Member eastmeyers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hazel Park, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,383
    No problem, my advise is only worth what you pay for it. Anyways about the grammar and spelling it was only advise as to advise as a whole, you always want to have someone else check something before you send it. You want it to look and sound good and be backed up with facts that way who ever you are trying to get your point across to takes you seriously. I hope you don't have anti reps like I do.
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

    "Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Jackson,Mi
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by eastmeyers View Post
    No problem, my advise is only worth what you pay for it. Anyways about the grammar and spelling it was only advise as to advise as a whole, you always want to have someone else check something before you send it. You want it to look and sound good and be backed up with facts that way who ever you are trying to get your point across to takes you seriously. I hope you don't have anti reps like I do.
    Well I appriciate everyones advice. I don't think I will have to do anything. Gun rights a spreading like wild fire. Good job for arizona and vermont being constituional carry state. that is how all states should be

  11. #11
    Regular Member eastmeyers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hazel Park, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,383
    Quote Originally Posted by glockguy21sf View Post
    well i appriciate everyones advice. I don't think i will have to do anything. Gun rights a spreading like wild fire. Good job for arizona and vermont being constituional carry state. That is how all states should be
    amen
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

    "Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless

  12. #12
    Regular Member Bronson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Battle Creek, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,157
    Quote Originally Posted by GlockGuy21Sf View Post
    as for the spelling maybe you should take a spelling class because I deffinately spell checked what I wrote.
    Spell check will not help you when you use the incorrect word but spell the incorrect word correctly e.g. in the first line of your letter where you use "venerable" when, based on the context, it should have been "vulnerable."

    That's why you want to have a proof reader.

    Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

  13. #13
    Regular Member eastmeyers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hazel Park, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,383
    Some people are just naturally defensive and think you are out to get them, when they jump at you (me) you (I) just choose to ignore that part of what they said, remember we are about the same goal and continue to help.
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

    "Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Jackson,Mi
    Posts
    8

    not attacking anyone here.

    Just simply stating that it was slightly the wrong way to word something. the way it sounded was an attack on spelling and gramma. but in all seriouseness a person is not going to dismiss someones opinion based on a couple of errors. I am not mad at anyone I actually enjoy others opinions. If I did'nt I would not have shared it with EVERYONE. Its completely ok for you to feel the way you do towards a person with an inferior english level than yours. Must be an english teacher. But in all fairness. like I said it doesn't matter because with or without my opinion the law will change the way it should. so my grammar or spelling really isn't important.
    Really the whole point of this post wasn't to be proof read it was to see if I conveyed the right message.

    Everyone needs to smile and read it again and see if the point is made.

  15. #15
    Regular Member Yooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Houghton County, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by eastmeyers View Post
    No problem, my advise is only worth what you pay for it. Anyways about the grammar and spelling it was only advise as to advise as a whole, you always want to have someone else check something before you send it. You want it to look and sound good and be backed up with facts that way who ever you are trying to get your point across to takes you seriously. I hope you don't have anti reps like I do.
    I couldn't resist

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Jackson,Mi
    Posts
    8

    lol

    lol

  17. #17
    Regular Member Bronson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Battle Creek, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,157
    Quote Originally Posted by GlockGuy21Sf View Post
    but in all seriouseness a person is not going to dismiss someones opinion based on a couple of errors.
    In my experience they, unfortunately, will.

    Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

  18. #18
    Michigan Moderator DrTodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hudsonville , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,337
    Quote Originally Posted by GlockGuy21Sf View Post
    in all seriouseness a person is not going to dismiss someones opinion based on a couple of errors.
    In an email, I think you are correct. However, in a formal letter that is sent to convince the reader of something, you would be surprised how quickly it will get tossed into the trash.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

    Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

  19. #19
    Regular Member eastmeyers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hazel Park, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,383
    Quote Originally Posted by GlockGuy21Sf View Post
    but in all seriouseness a person is not going to dismiss someones opinion based on a couple of errors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    In my experience they, unfortunately, will.

    Bronson
    Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    In an email, I think you are correct. However, in a formal letter that is sent to convince the reader of something, you would be surprised how quickly it will get tossed into the trash.
    I agree with Bronson and Dr Todd on this. That is why I pointed this out in the first place. Most (NOT ALL) politicians think they are better than the average person, so if you start off with bad spelling and grammar it is going in the trash. Sorry this is how the world usually works, life is not fair. Plain and simple.
    Last edited by eastmeyers; 08-22-2010 at 05:33 PM.
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

    "Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Jackson,Mi
    Posts
    8

    Well aside from spelling and grammar

    How is the letter. everyone has been bashing the spelling and grammar of the letter when the question was. Did the message convey the right message???

  21. #21
    Regular Member eastmeyers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hazel Park, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,383
    Quote Originally Posted by GlockGuy21Sf View Post
    How is the letter. everyone has been bashing the spelling and grammar of the letter when the question was. Did the message convey the right message???
    Yeah, and I urge everyone to write their own letter to their reps! Hopefully you guys don't live in my city with my reps. Oh yeah and EVERYONE VOTE in November, and do your homework everyone!

    Also, you CAN carry in a bank with a CPL both open and concealed!
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

    "Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •