• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CPL-Letter to the attorney general (Michigan)

ken243

In my opinion, you should start over if you have not already sent this letter out. Leave out opinion, state only facts. Leave out that your future goal is law enforcement. While it is good that you have legitimate questions to ask, questioning the top LEO in the state may get you a bad wrap. Ask questions, present facts, statistics and undeniable logic. Gun free zone are just localized gun control. Outlaw guns in those places and only outlaws will have guns. This leaves people defenseless. Also understand that some PFZ's are out of the control of the AG due to federal law. (schools, federal buildings, etc.) While Michigan allows open carry with a CPL in a school zone, federal law states no guns within 1000 feet of a school zone. My Dad lives 90 feet from a school zone. So you can see where this law interferes with the 2A. Many grey areas need to be addressed on both a state and federal level. Good for you on your efforts!

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
The Attorney General doesn't make or change law, he only enforces it and a lesser degree opines on it. The letter in my opinion would serve better if you sent it to all of the Representatives and senators in the state..

PDinDetroit

In my opinion, you should start over if you have not already sent this letter out. Leave out opinion, state only facts. Leave out that your future goal is law enforcement. While it is good that you have legitimate questions to ask, questioning the top LEO in the state may get you a bad wrap. Ask questions, present facts, statistics and undeniable logic. Gun free zone are just localized gun control. Outlaw guns in those places and only outlaws will have guns. This leaves people defenseless. Also understand that some PFZ's are out of the control of the AG due to federal law. (schools, federal buildings, etc.) While Michigan allows open carry with a CPL in a school zone, federal law states no guns within 1000 feet of a school zone. My Dad lives 90 feet from a school zone. So you can see where this law interferes with the 2A. Many grey areas need to be addressed on both a state and federal level. Good for you on your efforts!

I am in agreement with the above statements. I also concur with Venator about sending it representatives instead, as they are the ones who can change the law.

I would point out FACTS about crimes committed with firearms still occur in PFZ's, especially mass shootings, as criminals do not follow the laws. One good example would be the Luby's Cafeteria Massacre. In Texas at that time, a person could not possess a firearm in a restaurant which changed after this incident. Suzanna Hupp's Testimony is on the web and IT IS MOVING.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luby's_massacre

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzanna_Hupp#Death_of_parents

GlockGuy21Sf

Revised

Would it be a good idea then to revise and foward to some other officials. I know the AG can do some things to make change.

What we need is a pro gun Govenor to make gun laws less restrictive

eastmeyers

Please have someone proof read your draft before you send it. I have already contacted my reps, and it lands on deaf ears, they do not care they are anti gun anyways. Also please get your facts strait. If you are incorrect in your facts how can someone take you seriously. CPL holders can carry in a bank both open or concealed. Also do not expect anyone to take you serious if your spelling and grammar is horrendous.
Good luck, I hope this works for you, it hasn't for me, hopefully we have better luck after November.

GlockGuy21Sf

Please have someone proof read your draft before you send it. I have already contacted my reps, and it lands on deaf ears, they do not care they are anti gun anyways. Also please get your facts strait. If you are incorrect in your facts how can someone take you seriously. CPL holders can carry in a bank both open or concealed. Also do not expect anyone to take you serious if your spelling and grammar is horrendous.
Good luck, I hope this works for you, it hasn't for me, hopefully we have better luck after November.

The letter is written in a context that the grammar is supose to convey my feeling. as for the spelling maybe you should take a spelling class because I deffinately spell checked what I wrote. On a further note. The bill of rights gives me the freedome to say whatever I want to whoever I want however I want. so who are you to bad mouth my spelling and grammar anyways?

But on an even further not thank you for your opinion. I enjoy hearing everyones views on things even if they arent my own. thats how we learn as people

eastmeyers

No problem, my advise is only worth what you pay for it. :D Anyways about the grammar and spelling it was only advise as to advise as a whole, you always want to have someone else check something before you send it. You want it to look and sound good and be backed up with facts that way who ever you are trying to get your point across to takes you seriously. I hope you don't have anti reps like I do.

GlockGuy21Sf

No problem, my advise is only worth what you pay for it. :D Anyways about the grammar and spelling it was only advise as to advise as a whole, you always want to have someone else check something before you send it. You want it to look and sound good and be backed up with facts that way who ever you are trying to get your point across to takes you seriously. I hope you don't have anti reps like I do.

Well I appriciate everyones advice. I don't think I will have to do anything. Gun rights a spreading like wild fire. Good job for arizona and vermont being constituional carry state. that is how all states should be

Bronson

as for the spelling maybe you should take a spelling class because I deffinately spell checked what I wrote.

Spell check will not help you when you use the incorrect word but spell the incorrect word correctly e.g. in the first line of your letter where you use "venerable" when, based on the context, it should have been "vulnerable."

That's why you want to have a proof reader.

Bronson

eastmeyers

Some people are just naturally defensive and think you are out to get them, when they jump at you (me) you (I) just choose to ignore that part of what they said, remember we are about the same goal and continue to help.

GlockGuy21Sf

not attacking anyone here.

Just simply stating that it was slightly the wrong way to word something. the way it sounded was an attack on spelling and gramma. but in all seriouseness a person is not going to dismiss someones opinion based on a couple of errors. I am not mad at anyone I actually enjoy others opinions. If I did'nt I would not have shared it with EVERYONE. Its completely ok for you to feel the way you do towards a person with an inferior english level than yours. Must be an english teacher. But in all fairness. like I said it doesn't matter because with or without my opinion the law will change the way it should. so my grammar or spelling really isn't important.
Really the whole point of this post wasn't to be proof read it was to see if I conveyed the right message.

Everyone needs to smile :lol: and read it again and see if the point is made.

Yooper

I couldn't resist :D

eastmeyers

but in all seriouseness a person is not going to dismiss someones opinion based on a couple of errors.

In my experience they, unfortunately, will.

Bronson

In an email, I think you are correct. However, in a formal letter that is sent to convince the reader of something, you would be surprised how quickly it will get tossed into the trash.

I agree with Bronson and Dr Todd on this. That is why I pointed this out in the first place. Most (NOT ALL) politicians think they are better than the average person, so if you start off with bad spelling and grammar it is going in the trash. Sorry this is how the world usually works, life is not fair. Plain and simple.

Last edited:

GlockGuy21Sf

Well aside from spelling and grammar

How is the letter. everyone has been bashing the spelling and grammar of the letter when the question was. Did the message convey the right message???