Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does your dress/atire change your OC encounters?

Does your dress/atire change your OC encounters?

Hey guys, I was just thinking about something. I dress to impress when I am out so my reactions are at minimal when OCing. What do you guys think? Does what you wear change the reactions you get when OCing?

Joe~

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by joejoejoe View Post
    Hey guys, I was just thinking about something. I dress to impress when I am out so my reactions are at minimal when OCing. What do you guys think? Does what you wear change the reactions you get when OCing?

Joe~

Dress may affect the impression people will have, but it shouldn't.

Dress

I don't dress to impress, but I do try to present a professional non- gang type image. Usualy a polo or button down shirt.

I wear whatever my other activities for the day dictate. My days off I'm most likely wearing jeans and a t-shirt. However my jeans are at waist level and the t-shirt is my correct size. I don't think I look like trash, but then again, beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Usually Blue jeans and T-Shirt, or button shirt with an old school wheel gun. Usually curious commentary, mostly all positive so far. i try not to look crusty or shady, but other than that i just wear whatever i feel like.

~ ENCLAVE vmc ~
    The Enclave is looking for patriotic motorcycle riders in Washington State who support liberty and freedom for all. ~ Check us out!
    ~
    * " To be swayed neither by the opponent nor by his sword is the essence of swordsmanship." - Miyamoto Musashi.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    I believe in normalizing OC. So I dress however I feel like and what I would normally wear. Well except now I wear a damn belt. But this whole summer it's t-shirts and shorts, often in slippahs (flip flops for you haoles). It is amusing to see the confused look on someones face when asking if I am a cop?

69Charger
    The way you dress will affect someones first impression of you, gun or no gun.
    So I say, YES.
    The way you dress will affect the way you are seen.
    And when your pants are around your knees, Its real hard to draw your weapon. LOL
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by kwikrnu View Post
    Dress may affect the impression people will have, but it shouldn't.
    Why shouldn't the choices you make affect the impression other people will have? You wear trash and I have no right to form my own opinion? Certainly the choices you make in your appearance and dress do affect and should affect others impression.

Now when you talk, communicate (both verbally and non-verbally) with others they will add to their initial impression of your appearance. You might modify their initial thoughts, they may not.

How you dress and groom yourself is part of your behavior.

I have always said, be polite, be professional, be nice, be kind while you OC.

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    I believe in normalizing OC. So I dress however I feel like and what I would normally wear. Well except now I wear a damn belt. But this whole summer it's t-shirts and shorts, often in slippahs (flip flops for you haoles). It is amusing to see the confused look on someones face when asking if I am a cop?
    I agree with SVG, normalize OC, dress how you would normally (except you need a belt), I wear anything from jeans and t shirts, to polos, to shorts....
    Live Free or Die!

What, you one local boy? You evah get the tie undone on your slippahs so can walk ok?

Anyone just roll out of bed, throw on some clothes, and strap on the gun? I feel I at least need to have my hair combed. Anything that draw attention to me WITHOUT a gun is probably worth correcting... lol

Joe~

I don't "dress up" but I at least try to look presentable. If I've been out in the shop all day marinading in motor oil & what not, and need to run up the local Ace, then I'll usually conceal. I think all the local sheeple already know me as "the wingnut with the gun" anyway.
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

Being an older gentleman (the Vancouver group pointed that out to me) and the fact that I am a Marine, my dress is always important to me. First impressions DO make a difference in how you are treated, like it or not, how you are perceived is most likely how you will be treated. Even if I wear jeans and a t-shirt, they are clean, serviceable (no holes) and presentable. I wear my hair short, am clean shaven and carry myself in a manner that does not cause alarm in on lookers. With OC in the lime light right now, I think we should be putting our best foot forward. My .02
    Semper Fi
    I am a Sheep Dog, ... Wolves Beware !

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oneeyeross View Post
    What, you one local boy? You evah get the tie undone on your slippahs so can walk ok?
    Haha nah I just take small steps.
    Local Haole here. (1/4 Injun)

Quote Originally Posted by joejoejoe View Post

Joe~
    Yes, what you wear will influence how people react to you and to the fact you are carrying
    a firearm.

It has been shown that conservative attire, even while carrying a S&W 29 with a 6" barrel holstered on your hip, does not draw unwanted attention.

Yet, when the same person dresses down to more intimidating clothing and switches to an unconventional weapon and carry method, peoples reactions change drastically. People met in the same location previously while conservatively attired, react much, much differently.

When open carrying, I personally dress to fit into the surroundings, neither too dressed up, nor too under dressed.

Before retiring, I dressed in public in a way that if I met a business client, it would reflect well on me and my company. I guess I still do that. I dress well to project a good image of the open carry community.
    Freedom has a taste to those who fight and almost die, that the protected will never know.

Haha nah I just take small steps.
    I'm from here, HERSELF, however, is from the islands, so I know all about taking little steps & stuff...
    Last edited by oneeyeross; 08-22-2010 at 11:14 AM. Reason: corrected spelling

Is that enough to get the annual "per capita" check from the tribe and a big discount at their gas station?

Banned
    Most people I see begging for money aren't recently bathed nor do they wear nice clean clothes. I don't think they should carry guns for self-defense. It is only reasonable to expect those who want to carry a gun for self-defense should look clean, smell good, and have nice clean clothes. "Shall not be infringed" has and continues to be misinterpreted by gun nuts. "Shall not be infringed" really means reasonable regulations are fine.

It is only reasonable to expect those who want to carry a gun for self-defense should look clean, smell good, and have nice clean clothes.
    and carry AK-47's with orange on them too, maybe?

BTW, most of the "beggars" I see around here are recently bathed, wear worn but not ragged clothes, and probably don't smell to bad (although I never get close enough to sniff). They should because when they are done begging they go home to their house or apartment. Begging at intersections is often more profitable than holding down a job.

First opinions are everything. I am recently out of college so I still dress the part a bit. In summer its often khaki cargo shorts and a button down or polo, untucked, with the gun on. Wintercomes around and the shorts get swapped out for jeans. I look presentable but not like I do at work with the shirt and tie on. I am also clean shaven and keep my hair short and styled a bit. When I OC I don't wear a basic t-shirt, always a button down or polo.

People really do look at and treat me differently based upon how I am dressed when I OC. That combined with both verbal and the non-verbal communication when OCing can make or break the experience for the general public and will have a large impact on how people perceive the OCer.

Most people I see begging for money aren't recently bathed nor do they wear nice clean clothes. I don't think they should carry guns for self-defense. It is only reasonable to expect those who want to carry a gun for self-defense should look clean, smell good, and have nice clean clothes. "Shall not be infringed" has and continues to be misinterpreted by gun nuts. "Shall not be infringed" really means reasonable regulations are fine.
    Who decides what "reasonable regulations" are? I ask this of you because what is reasonable to one person may be wholly unreasonable to another. The whole idea of "reasonable regulation" is flawed because it is entirely subjective. Every person deserves the right to life and the right to feel safe until they do something so heinous (such as taking someone else's life or feeling of safety without justification) that they ought not have their own rights about them any longer.
    Last edited by k.rollin; 08-23-2010 at 02:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by k.rollin View Post
    Who decides what "reasonable regulations" are? I ask this of you because what is reasonable to one person may be wholly unreasonable to another. The whole idea of "reasonable regulation" is flawed because it is entirely subjective. Every person deserves the right to life and the right to feel safe until they do something so heinous (such as taking someone else's life or feeling of safety without justification) that they ought not have their own rights about them any longer.
    Agreed!
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

It does matter how one is perceived when it comes to their demeanor and dress.
    People do dress and act on how they want to be perceived, yet some still whine because others perceived them as such.

So if ones does not want to be perceived as a threat or less then respectful to others then do not present yourself that way, pretty simple.

It is very good to see the majority dress in a clean respectful manner.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    ...yet some still whine because others perceived them as such.
    We "whine" because those who are different are subjected to illegal harrassment by cops. We don't "whine" because someone thinks we look different. There is a difference, one is an action the other a thought.

We "whine" because those who are different are subjected to illegal harrassment by cops. We don't "whine" because someone thinks we look different. There is a difference, one is an action the other a thought.
    Could it have something to do with carrying a Orange Painted AK-47 and in Camouflage in a Park wanting to look like Rambo, and when perceived as what you were portraying you call foul.

The example you set could not have been tailored made any better in this conversation.
    You wanted to be perceived in a way of your choosing, and when you were whine whine whine.
    Last edited by BigDave; 08-23-2010 at 05:36 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    Could it have something to do with carrying a Orange Painted AK-47 and in Camouflage in a Park wanting to look like Rambo, and when perceived as what you were portraying you call foul.

The example you set could not have been tailored made any better in this conversation.
    You wanted to be perceived in a way of your choosing, and when you were whine whine whine.
    If you've seen Rambo I he didn't wear any military clothing. He wore casual dress and was harrassed illegally by cops.
    I wore a camouflage jacket and was harrassed by cops.
    Neither of us deserved the treatment we received. I'm handling the harrassment through the courts he handled it in a different manner.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast