• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does your dress/atire change your OC encounters?

tombrewster421

Who decides what "reasonable regulations" are? I ask this of you because what is reasonable to one person may be wholly unreasonable to another. The whole idea of "reasonable regulation" is flawed because it is entirely subjective. Every person deserves the right to life and the right to feel safe until they do something so heinous (such as taking someone else's life or feeling of safety without justification) that they ought not have their own rights about them any longer.

Agreed!

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
It does matter how one is perceived when it comes to their demeanor and dress.
People do dress and act on how they want to be perceived, yet some still whine because others perceived them as such.

So if ones does not want to be perceived as a threat or less then respectful to others then do not present yourself that way, pretty simple.

It is very good to see the majority dress in a clean respectful manner.

kwikrnu

Banned
...yet some still whine because others perceived them as such.

We "whine" because those who are different are subjected to illegal harrassment by cops. We don't "whine" because someone thinks we look different. There is a difference, one is an action the other a thought.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
We "whine" because those who are different are subjected to illegal harrassment by cops. We don't "whine" because someone thinks we look different. There is a difference, one is an action the other a thought.

Could it have something to do with carrying a Orange Painted AK-47 and in Camouflage in a Park wanting to look like Rambo, and when perceived as what you were portraying you call foul.

The example you set could not have been tailored made any better in this conversation.
You wanted to be perceived in a way of your choosing, and when you were whine whine whine.

Last edited:

kwikrnu

Banned
Could it have something to do with carrying a Orange Painted AK-47 and in Camouflage in a Park wanting to look like Rambo, and when perceived as what you were portraying you call foul.

The example you set could not have been tailored made any better in this conversation.
You wanted to be perceived in a way of your choosing, and when you were whine whine whine.

If you've seen Rambo I he didn't wear any military clothing. He wore casual dress and was harrassed illegally by cops.
I wore a camouflage jacket and was harrassed by cops.
Neither of us deserved the treatment we received. I'm handling the harrassment through the courts he handled it in a different manner.

DoomGoober

I did notice the most everyone at the OC picnic was dressed the same way: Casually but a little bit smarter than average. Jeans, button down or at least collared shirt.

I OC as a political statement, so when I OC I often wear clothing that proclaims I'm OCing. Either OpenCarry.org clothing or a shirt i'm making with iron on letters that says, "Open Carry. Ask me about it."

However, I do feel that people should be allowed to open carry wearing whatever they want. Just expect different reactions from different clothing (open carrying while wearing a ski mask is probably not a good idea, though certainly legal.)

Interesting aside: I wonder what reaction one would get wearing a burqa and obviously open carrying?

amlevin

If you've seen Rambo I he didn't wear any military clothing. He wore casual dress and was harrassed illegally by cops.
I wore a camouflage jacket and was harrassed by cops.
Neither of us deserved the treatment we received. I'm handling the harrassment through the courts he handled it in a different manner.

What version did you watch. In case you hadn't noticed that "casual green jacket" he was wearing was commonly referred to by those it was issued to as a Fatigue Jacket or Field Jacket. Every bit as "Military" then as the cammo is today. I had to turn mine in when I got out but back in "John Rambo's day" (mine too) we didn't wear cammo like every "wannabe" does today.

If you noticed in the movie, Rambo wasn't carrying an AK-47 and trying to call attention to himself. He was hassled by an a-hole county sheriff, just like the writer wrote. In his scenario, he wasn't looking for trouble. As I understand, "someone else" was trying to call attention to himself, orange paint and all.

kwikrnu

Banned
What version did you watch. In case you hadn't noticed that "casual green jacket" he was wearing was commonly referred to by those it was issued to as a Fatigue Jacket or Field Jacket. Every bit as "Military" then as the cammo is today. I had to turn mine in when I got out but back in "John Rambo's day" (mine too) we didn't wear cammo like every "wannabe" does today.

If you noticed in the movie, Rambo wasn't carrying an AK-47 and trying to call attention to himself. He was hassled by an a-hole county sheriff, just like the writer wrote. In his scenario, he wasn't looking for trouble. As I understand, "someone else" was trying to call attention to himself, orange paint and all.

You're right he did wear a military jacket. I like wearing the military camouflage jacket and so do many others. We're not "wannabes".

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
You're right he did wear a military jacket. I like wearing the military camouflage jacket and so do many others. We're not "wannabes".

That is right it was OD GREEN Field Jacket, just like the one I wore for 7 years while on active duty and have never wore one since nor camo for that matter.

We dress to project our personalities and well your projection comes out loud and clear.

And I have never been accused of being a wannabe nor Rambo lol for that matter.

There is no need to agree with me, the way we dress and carry ourselves speaks volumes and like in this case, it is not how you want to be seen, it just is how you are seen!

Get the Point?

The photos I see on here of members Open Carrying all have one thing in common, clean, well dressed and conducting themselves in a civil manner, my hat is off to them.

Last edited:

Jayd1981

Why do you like wearing military camo?

I wear camo on occasion even though I'm no longer in the military. My BDU's are often used for paintball now. And I wear my field jacket on cold mornings when going to the range (often while open carrying). I don't wear camo when going to the mall or grocery shopping, but if someone wants to that is their choice. Wear what you want, thats one of the great things about being individuals, we do not have to look, dress, talk exactly like one another.

amlevin

I wear camo on occasion even though I'm no longer in the military. My BDU's are often used for paintball now. And I wear my field jacket on cold mornings when going to the range (often while open carrying). I don't wear camo when going to the mall or grocery shopping, but if someone wants to that is their choice. Wear what you want, thats one of the great things about being individuals, we do not have to look, dress, talk exactly like one another.

I understand your point and am sure others do likewise. Unfortunately some wear theirs for the purpose of calling attention to themselves thus my "wannabe" comment. My disdain for attention getting was primarily directed to a certain party that, when his screen name is "googled", it yields a long list of sites he has been banned from. Perhaps more than any of us even knew existed. It would appear that attention getting in his case is more important than the 2A message. So far the attention received is less than complementary to the cause.

Last edited:

69Charger

I wear my camo speedo and have never had a prob.
Well, there was that 1 time.
Dave

sudden valley gunner

Along these lines, how many people have you stereotyped and been wrong about?

+1
Even if someone is a wannabe,who cares? And why would you? It isn't breaking any laws and does you no personal harm.

On another note I am not military or ex military, but I used to buy the green military coat and the green military "woolies"(?) because they were comfortable and kept me warm in the winter and were well designed and dirt cheap at the army surplus store.