• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does your dress/atire change your OC encounters?

Jayd1981

Wearing camo and impersonating military personel are two totally different things. I could care less if someone wants to wear camo clothing. If someone is going to pretend to be active military or a vet and wear awards they never earned, that is crossing the line. I wouldn't even think about wearing awards that I hadn't earned, since I am proud enough of the awards that I did earn. I do not think impersonation is the goal of those here who mentioned wearing camo clothing though.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
You dress the part you get treated the part! You may not like it but it is what it is.

The issue of stereotyping and then being wrong, nope they generally what they appear to be except when at Disneyland :banana: oh no I guess not even there as I expect them to be good people while entertaining our youth.
Oh I guess there was one at Disneyland that was dressed up and Goofy or Mickey anyways groped a young lady and was arrested, yep you got me, I thought he would have been a good guy and in reality he was bad.

Have you noticed the only ones whining about it is the ones that dress questionably!

BlueStarDad

Well, the other evening my wife and I were walking down by the channel (between Lake Michigan & Muskegon Lake) and one of the fishermen commented on the Detroit Tigers shirt I was wearing (they hadn't been playing too good) and we laughed....he said nothing about the holstered gun on my side.

Jayd1981

Have you noticed the only ones whining about it is the ones that dress questionably!

Thats kinda like saying I deserved to be ejected from a park because I was wearing a leather vest like the rest of the MC I was with. Your manner of dress does not mean your rights are worth any less. As an ambassador to the cause, should you really be treating people differently simply because of their clothes?

Daath 474

While I am OCing I definitely get looks... I'm 25, shaved head with tattoos and piercings. I wear black metal t-shirts, jeans, a leather jacket and black boots. Does appearance matter? It shouldn't... Will people judge you? Yes! I prefer to actually interact with people personally if they want to know something about me. Otherwise, I really don't care. I obey the law, I have a clean record and I am of sound mind to own and operate a firearm. I am well within my rights. Of course if any cop really had a bug up his *** he could try to get me for "warranting alarm" based on my rather 'Satanic' appearance (pentagram tattoo, extreme metal t-shirts, etc.). Though, is that religious discrimination or not? Tricky situation I would suppose. Thankfully it has never happened...

RussP

Just for clarification...
Dress may affect the impression people will have, but it shouldn't.
Could it have something to do with carrying a Orange Painted AK-47 and in Camouflage in a Park wanting to look like Rambo, and when perceived as what you were portraying you call foul.

The example you set could not have been tailored made any better in this conversation.
You wanted to be perceived in a way of your choosing, and when you were whine whine whine.
We "whine" because those who are different are subjected to illegal harrassment by cops...
I wore a camouflage jacket and was harrassed by cops.
Neither of us deserved the treatment we received. I'm handling the harrassment through the courts he handled it in a different manner.
08-25-2009, 11:55 Post #37
kwikrnu

At some point I will be arrested for legally open carrying. I haven't met the right cop yet. Maybe I need to dress down or get a bigger handgun like a PLR-16...
Deliberately dressing to attract negative attention worked for Leonard, well almost. They didn't arrest him. That is still on his bucket list.

Last edited:

RussP

While I am OCing I definitely get looks... I'm 25, shaved head with tattoos and piercings. I wear black metal t-shirts, jeans, a leather jacket and black boots. Does appearance matter? It shouldn't... Will people judge you? Yes! I prefer to actually interact with people personally if they want to know something about me. Otherwise, I really don't care. I obey the law, I have a clean record and I am of sound mind to own and operate a firearm. I am well within my rights. Of course if any cop really had a bug up his *** he could try to get me for "warranting alarm" based on my rather 'Satanic' appearance (pentagram tattoo, extreme metal t-shirts, etc.). Though, is that religious discrimination or not? Tricky situation I would suppose. Thankfully it has never happened...
I met a gentleman at a gun show who was adorned and attired like you describe yourself. He carried a SIG220 in a custom holster with studs on it matching those on the vest he wore. Talked with him for a while. A really nice guy. Except he kept calling me "Sir." Turns out he's a former Marine.

Now, would I have just walked up to him on the street and introduced myself? Probably, yes. He projected nothing threatening, just confidence.

amlevin

I met a gentleman at a gun show who was adorned and attired like you describe yourself. He carried a SIG220 in a custom holster with studs on it matching those on the vest he wore. Talked with him for a while. A really nice guy. Except he kept calling me "Sir." Turns out he's a former Marine.

Now, would I have just walked up to him on the street and introduced myself? Probably, yes. He projected nothing threatening, just confidence.

In my experience I have found that people give off different "messages" beyond their manner of dress. Call it "vibe's", "aura", or "feelings", it is not hard to tell what they are all about. It's probably something buried in our "lizard brain" that is part of our survival instinct. The more people one interacts with over their lifetime, the better tuned this "sense" is. It also tends to help sort the wannabe's from the "real deal". For 2-1/2 years I worked at a retail sales counter and saw all types. It was easy to pick out the guy who wore his cammo's because they were comfortable from the guy who was posing. The biker's with tat's, "death metal" tee's, vests, boots, chains, long hair, etc were easy to pick out from the "slobs". Most of the bikers smelled better. Had one customer that came in regularly who had more metal than a scrap yard on/in his body. Huge guy with tat's as big as a mural. Most mild-mannered, well spoken person I have met in years. And then there were the punks in "wife-beater's" with a brand new "ball point pen tattoo" on their arm that thought everyone was named "dude". There are all types but they do have identifying characteristics beyond dress.

RussP

In my experience I have found that people give off different "messages" beyond their manner of dress. Call it "vibe's", "aura", or "feelings", it is not hard to tell what they are all about. It's probably something buried in our "lizard brain" that is part of our survival instinct. The more people one interacts with over their lifetime, the better tuned this "sense" is. ...There are all types but they do have identifying characteristics beyond dress.
True...

69Charger

TATS? Don't judge a book by its cover. :) Or maybe you can?
Dave
tat004.jpg

GetAttachmentaspx.jpg

CoupeDevil

Today I went with a buddy to drop his car off for new tires and then grocery shopping.
Bottom to top...
Suede Moccasins.
Blue jeans with 3 inch cuff.
.357 IWB holster, in 2 inch black belt.
Black, deep V-neck with sleeves rolled up.
chest hair.
Long, "elvis" sideburns.
Tats and septum piercing visible.

I get nothing but smiles and polite words.
All about how you carry yourself.