• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Northern Virginina "Porcupine 411" 571-482-1411

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
You can use Porcupine 411 to participate in our growing 2nd Amendment movement. Some things which Porcupine 411 can be used for include:
AMBER ALERT Sightings/Information
Locations of speed traps and sobriety checkpoints
http://porcupine411.com/signup/
- - - -
Start Your Own Porcupine 411
Bringing people together.
Whether it’s to document police misconduct, rescue a stranded traveler, or simply to get together for dinner, Porcupine 411 has proved itself indispensable in helping people connect and improve their activism. Now you can bring Porcupine 411 to your local organization, activist group, or geographic area.
We handle all of the technical aspects of Porcupine 411 for you, letting you focus on your activism.
Set up your Porcupine 411 now!
Here’s how it works:
First, we will do an exhaustive search of your local area for an appropriate phone number. For obvious reasons, we prefer numbers ending in 411, but if none are available, we will search for the most memorable and appropriate phone number we can find in your area.
Second, we set up a mailing list and a section of the porcupine411.com web site just for you. Your phone number, mailing list and web site are totally integrated, providing you with instant delivery and publication of audio messages, including your own blog and a podcast of the Porcupine 411 messages.
Third, we send you your usernames, passwords and login information. You give the phone number and subscription information to your local activists, and you have Porcupine 411!
Based on tested, mature open source technology, Porcupine 411 has revolutionized New Hampshire liberty activism since 2006. Now it can revolutionize yours.
Get started now!
Our forward-facing platforms are ones you’ll almost certainly recognize:
WordPress MU, which also serves high profile blogs for wordpress.com, the New York Times, Wired, the Wall Street Journal, CNN, and more.
GNU Mailman serves our mailing lists. Mailman serves a wide variety of mailing lists all over the Internet.
Asterisk is our telephony software. It answers the phones, records the calls, and passes them off to the rest of the system. Asterisk is capable of serving VoIP as well as landlines.
After you sign up, we will contact you to request information about the geographic area which you want your phone number to serve. Then we will search for your phone number, set up your Porcupine 411 site, and email you all of the information you need to get started.
Over the years that I’ve run Porcupine 411, the absolute most frequently asked question has been, “How can I get a number for my area?” Now you can. And I’m taking care of all the technical stuff so you don’t have to.
For just $20 per month you and your local activists will have everything you need to stay connected: Porcupine 411 records callers’ messages and immediately forwards the audio recording to every subscriber’s email address, mobile phones, podcast, and also posts it to your new blog.
If you act fast, you can forget $20. The first 20 activists who sign up will receive their own Porcupine 411 service for just $15 per month, for as long as you keep the service. (14 remaining)
You can use it as an ongoing service, like the original Porcupine 411, or set up a new line for special events, such as presidential campaigns and large one-time protests.
But you need to act quickly if you want the ongoing discount of just $15 per month. Once the first 20 activists have set up their Porcupine 411, it will go back to the full $20 per month price!
Start the Porcupine 411 signup process now »
- - -

Reporting unusual or improper police activity (Live Negative Encounters /Copwatch)
Distress calls in case of roadside detention or imminent arrest
Upcoming 2A social events, 2a activities or almost anything else of immediate interest to the Open Carry Community

Here’s how it works:
To notify people of something, call 1-XXX-XXX-X411 and leave a message after the beep. Porcupine 411 will then distribute an audio file containing your message to everyone who is subscribed to the list.
To receive the audio notifications when someone leaves a message, subscribe to the mailing list using the form below.
In addition to email, you can receive messages via podcast or iTunes).

mrt6812

I don't think it would be a bad idea. I'm sure it's a valuable tool for the "Free State Project" folks. If more states get this type of thing, it could help to rein in over zealous LE types and rent-a-cops who think they are sworn cops.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I don't think it would be a bad idea. I'm sure it's a valuable tool for the "Free State Project" folks. If more states get this type of thing, it could help to rein in over zealous LE types and rent-a-cops who think they are sworn cops.

I think the cost would limit participation a lot. This would only be beneficial if there were a lot of recipients.

ed

NOVA Porcupine 411 is now LIVE :)

I might try it out in NOVA.. if it works.. maybe a Richmond one will form too.

http://nova.porcupine411.com/

Porcupine 411 is a rapid message distribution network.
You can use Nova Porcupine 411 to participate in our 2A and Open Carry movement. Some additional things which Porcupine 411 can be used for include:
  • Locations of speed traps and sobriety checkpoints
  • Reporting unusual or improper police activity (Copwatch)
  • Distress calls in case of roadside detention or imminent arrest
  • Upcoming social events, activities or almost anything else of immediate interest to NOVA gun activists.
Here’s how it works:
  1. To notify people of something, call 1-571-482-1411 and leave a message after the beep. Porcupine 411 will then distribute an audio file containing your message to everyone who is subscribed to the list.
  2. To receive the audio notifications when someone leaves a message, subscribe to the mailing list using the form below.
In addition to email, you can receive messages via podcast or iTunes.

user

Accomplished Advocate
Seems like a good thing to me. We'd need to define the specific information we want to have relayed, though, and some ground rules about actually showing up at the scene of a detention. Don't need to get anyone arrested for obstruction of justice etc. So many people have GPS units, I wonder, for those of you familiar with such things, is there a convenient way to specify a location in terms of GPS? If the person in trouble could state his location conveniently, then someone else having such a device might be able to translate and broadcast a more coherent statement of where the person is, possibly with directions, since he'd presumably have more time to do so. How's that for a run-on sentence?

ed

Seems like a good thing to me. We'd need to define the specific information we want to have relayed, though, and some ground rules about actually showing up at the scene of a detention. Don't need to get anyone arrested for obstruction of justice etc. So many people have GPS units, I wonder, for those of you familiar with such things, is there a convenient way to specify a location in terms of GPS? If the person in trouble could state his location conveniently, then someone else having such a device might be able to translate and broadcast a more coherent statement of where the person is, possibly with directions, since he'd presumably have more time to do so. How's that for a run-on sentence?
The instructions are on this page: http://nova.porcupine411.com/