• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

'Protecting The Force', DoD final report on Hasan - Fort Hood shooting. Defense.gov

squisher

So, instead of a short and sweet answer of allowing soldiers (who are trained in the use and care of) to carry arms while on base (not just MPs), they write a long-winded recommendation of further tightening regulations and control (not to mention spending more $$ we ain't got)?

Seriously...

Maybe my understanding is naive and incomplete, but is it illogical to recommend allowing our fighting men and women the equipment (again, that they are trained to be able to use) to fight back?

XDUser

COMMENTS REMOVED BY MODERATOR: Bashing of military gun owners

Jack House

I think it's fairly obvious that he meant that it is the military as an institution and not individual personnel.

eye95

I think it's fairly obvious that he meant that it is the military as an institution and not individual personnel.

It wasn't obvious to me, especially in the light of the general comments he made about the intelligence of military members following his comment that I questioned.

No matter, the comment is gone. I'll just move on.

Uber_Olafsun

Some of the provisions such as having to register every firearm of family members if you live off base are nuts. I am sorry as ex Air Force I remember swearing an oath. I don't remember spouses having to do the same. Having to register property that is in someone else s name is a little crazy. When I got out and while still married to my ex if we were living off base and they said you need to register my gun I would have told them to kiss my grits.

I always thought that part of the uniform should be at least a sidearm. When I was in I was stationed at Andrews and there were cases of shootings right outside the base were the SPs were the first to respond to it. The irony that we trust 18 year old to go overseas give them a mini-gun and no one questions if they are responsible enough to handle it yet we could have an E-9 who can not carry on base.

Another great irony is for Air Force at least you don't get basic pistol training unless your job requires it. Flight crew,Security etc. I was medical and kept thinking if I am having to run around a field hospital help with litters etc I can carry a pistol a hell of a lot easier then an M-16. Heck with a 4 man litter carry I could actually use the pistol if I needed to at the same time. I could probably do that with a M-16 but a few people I know could barely do it with two hands.

So sad when the people protecting our rights have to give up so many of theirs in the process.