• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hopitals and malls.

beanoboy7

I do know that the Westfield Shopping Town Malls and Buckland Hills Mall don't allow firearms. They have the rule listed in fine print in a few banners throughout the mall. Nothing actually listed on any of the doors for us to see.

As for hospitals, I haven't seen anything saying that firearms are outright banned, but after asking both Hartford Hospital and Bridgeport Hospital they both stated that firearms aren't allowed. However, if you carry concealed, what they see can't hurt.

btw...I'm an open carry guy, just saying.

KIX

I'd forget calling and asking. Just see if you see any posted signage on the property.

If you just outright ask, you might just get someone that is anti-gun and not really speaking for the organization.

Think about Rich's post about Cabellas is a good example. One person at the store says it's an issue, but they clearly have a policy that it's OK.

I'm just sayin'......

Jonathan

Rich B

I'd forget calling and asking. Just see if you see any posted signage on the property.

If you just outright ask, you might just get someone that is anti-gun and not really speaking for the organization.

Think about Rich's post about Cabellas is a good example. One person at the store says it's an issue, but they clearly have a policy that it's OK.

I agree. Asking is only asking for trouble. Just go about your business. Know the state laws, and carry in confidence.

If it isn't posted, and there is no statute, there is no problem.

Alex.EastHartford.

This is when open carry gets you in trouble. because they see it. don't get me wrong i like O.C. you have to look for SIGNS and NO PRINTING SHOWING in theses places. you have pick your form of carrying some concealment and some openly its a two way street. thank you guys for your comments. CARRY ON ANY WHICH WAY YOU WANT!

dbegin87

I don't think hospitals can out right ban firearms because if you get into a bad car accident while open carrying and get sent in a ambulance they cant stop you at the door bleeding to death from injuries of the car accident

aadvark

Neither of the two practices are Illegal, however, both places do Constitute Private Property, unless; in the Case of Hospitals, the Hospital(s) in question happen to be Publicly-owned.

However..., if you make a pracitce of asking..., then, [they] might make a pracitce of placing signs, or worse yet, confronting you asking you to leave or threating Law Enforcement Intervention.

Last edited:

Rich B

This is when open carry gets you in trouble. because they see it. don't get me wrong i like O.C. you have to look for SIGNS and NO PRINTING SHOWING in theses places. you have pick your form of carrying some concealment and some openly its a two way street. thank you guys for your comments. CARRY ON ANY WHICH WAY YOU WANT!

I have been all over the state to many different types of places open carrying and you all know of my only issues which represent a very good success rate. Open carrying is not what will get you in trouble. Stupid and ignorant people who deem themselves in a position of authority when they don't understand the basic laws of the state will get you in trouble.

Yes, you take on more responsibility and visibility when you open carry, but you should be assuming that when you conceal as well. I believe concealed carry only gives us a false sense of confidence anyway. All open carrying is doing is being a bit more honest and open about the fact that you are 'one of those people' who carry a firearm.

I follow your sentiments to encourage people to carry however they want, but be realistic, open carry is not the problem. Ignorant people who are willing to break the law instead of admitting wrong doing and their own ignorance are the problem.

Rich B

I don't think hospitals can out right ban firearms because if you get into a bad car accident while open carrying and get sent in a ambulance they cant stop you at the door bleeding to death from injuries of the car accident

In my experiences, the paramedics will call the police over who will disarm you before you enter the ambulance, along with all of your other personal property usually. I am surprised you think they would transport you to the hospital with your firearm intact.

Rich B

However..., if you make a pracitce of asking..., then, [they] might make a pracitce of placing signs, or worse yet, confronting you asking you to leave or threating Law Enforcement Intervention.

Agreed, if there is nothing that makes it outright illegal to begin with, just carry how you normally would in regular life. No further discussion is needed. That is how these things become common place rather than banned.

The vast majority of place with 'no guns' signs did not become that way because they had a problem with people open carrying or concealed carrying. They became that way because the ignorant property owners assume that only criminals carry firearms and that putting a magic sign up will somehow stop them from being criminals on their property.

Very wrong on both accounts.

KIX

In my experiences, the paramedics will call the police over who will disarm you before you enter the ambulance, along with all of your other personal property usually. I am surprised you think they would transport you to the hospital with your firearm intact.

Not necessarily.

When I was an EMT (we're talking over two decades ago!), I would transport with the firearm. My argument is this.... how does the person I'm transporting know where is firearm is? Though, it's never been a totally unconscious person.

My logic is, he'll assign someone to take care of his firearm when he gets there.

For the record, we didn't take ANY of their belongings - that was the job of the Hospital.

And we're talking Hartford here....

Jonathan

KIX

The vast majority of place with 'no guns' signs did not become that way because they had a problem with people open carrying or concealed carrying. They became that way because the ignorant property owners assume that only criminals carry firearms and that putting a magic sign up will somehow stop them from being criminals on their property.

Very wrong on both accounts.

Kinda like a certain beer distributorship in Manchester......

Rich B

When I was an EMT (we're talking over two decades ago!), I would transport with the firearm. My argument is this.... how does the person I'm transporting know where is firearm is? Though, it's never been a totally unconscious person.

In most bad accidents I have seen all personal effects are removed from the person, including clothes. To get the clothes off, they are going to have to remove the belt and most likely the holster. At that point, they have to give the firearm to someone. That will most likely be the police.

Not only that, but there is no way for the paramedics to know whether or not the patient is legally in possession of the firearm or whether the firearm may be evidence in what happened. They certainly would not want the liability involved in it either. I have never heard of a paramedic knowingly transporting a patient to the hospital with a firearm without at least notifying police. And I cannot imagine an officer who would not take control of the firearm until that patient was released or could send someone to pick it up.

KIX

In my case, the person was conscious and did have their permit.

That was all I needed.

The officers didn't even know. I was fine that he was legal and that was that.

"he" being on the 3 times I can recall doing this (gotta remember...thousands of calls!).

If he was unconscious..... I'd then probably go to the cop, but my overall first responsibility is to make sure he's OK.

Jonathan

KIX

Reading Lenny's comments in that thread echoes a post I had here a week or two ago.

An open carry event in New Britain!!!!

Would be interesting if there were a few members, open carrying with CCDL shirts and carrying leaflets and letting people know about this INSANE ordinance.

Jonathan

Rich B

Would be interesting if there were a few members, open carrying with CCDL shirts and carrying leaflets and letting people know about this INSANE ordinance.

a) Why? Worst case, the ordinance makes you open carry. I don't think anyone has been cited for a violation of this ordinance, so it is pretty useless.

b) Bringing further attention to this ordinance may result in the opposite of what we want occurring. What if they just modify the ordinance to say "No carrying of firearms" which is likely what they meant from the start?