Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 185

Thread: OC Advocate Arrested

  1. #1
    Regular Member ARADCOM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW Washington, Washington, USA
    Posts
    317

    Unhappy OC Advocate Arrested

    Tyler Visser was arrested in Lynden yesterday for brandishing and firing a shot into the ground according to a story in todays Bellingham Herald. Tyler organized the North Fork cleanup in May of this year.

    The article doesn't mention whether he was OC'ing at the time of the incident which involved a ex-girlfriend.

    http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2010...t-on-lynn.html
    Last edited by ARADCOM; 08-21-2010 at 01:11 PM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member gsx1138's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Bremerton, Washington, United States
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by ARADCOM View Post
    Tyler Visser was arrested in Lynden yesterday for brandishing and firing a shot into the ground according to a story in todays Bellingham Herald. Tyler organized the North Fork cleanup in May of this year.

    The article doesn't mention whether he was OC'ing at the time of the incident which involved a ex-girlfriend.

    http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2010...t-on-lynn.html

    Need more info.

    But if the article is true. Why can't people just leave sh!t alone? I mean, you really have to drive over to your Ex's house? This sounds like stupid middle school crap that adults should be ashamed of. And of course this is an example of where one guy is going to paint our entire community with the batsh!t crazy brush.
    Last edited by gsx1138; 08-21-2010 at 01:21 PM.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Snohomish County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    117
    I wonder if he had his recorder going...

  4. #4
    Regular Member ARADCOM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW Washington, Washington, USA
    Posts
    317

    Unhappy More Info

    Quote Originally Posted by gsx1138 View Post
    Need more info.
    More info is that it's going to be some negative publicity for OC. This is the last comment on the Herald site:

    I just wanted to note that Mr. Visser has appeared in these pages before for his good works in connection with opencarry.org - it's under the subhead "GUN-LOVERS DE-LITTER SHOOTING AREA" in this June 6 article: http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2010...-benefits.html. Opencarry.org describes itself as "a pro-gun Internet community focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life." For example, those occastions when you need to drive your wife to somebody's house so she can beat them up.

    Read more: http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2010...#ixzz0xGIOCx4B

  5. #5
    Regular Member amlevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,953
    Words just can't describe this guy. This will have to do:



    If people continue doing things like this they WILL make "Stupid" a felony.
    Last edited by amlevin; 08-21-2010 at 02:26 PM.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pleasant Grove Utah
    Posts
    47

    Thumbs down Ha ha

    There goes his option of gun ownership! What a great example he has been for Open Carry!
    Really !!

    Thanks alot Dickhead!

  7. #7
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828
    I have heard that Abraham Lincoln said, "I will stand by a man as long as he is right, but if he is wrong he will stand alone."

    IF the incident is as reported then I am afraid he shall stand alone!

  8. #8
    Regular Member Aryk45XD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    513
    You've got to be kidding me.
    I wouldn't be surprised if it was woman to woman and he got thrown in the middle. Hopefully there was a recording. I'll wait for more information to come out.

  9. #9
    Regular Member sultan62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    1,319
    Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    Thanks amlevin. Had to steal it, and reiterate.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Winlock, , USA
    Posts
    501
    This could easily turn into a domestic violence arrest and then, the stuff will really overwhelm him....

    Don't go over to your ex's house with your hand gun! Don't do it! NEVER!

  11. #11
    Opt-Out Members BigDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Yakima, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,463
    Professional Training could have stopped this before it happened but then you CANNOT FIX STUPID.

  12. #12
    Regular Member ARADCOM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW Washington, Washington, USA
    Posts
    317

    People who live in glass houses shouldn't...

    Quote Originally Posted by flicker View Post
    There goes his option of gun ownership! What a great example he has been for Open Carry!
    Really !!

    Thanks alot Dickhead!

    I think if you want to see a "Dickhead" you need only look in a mirror, but you'll probably need a magnifying glass also.

    Did he make a mistake? You betcha!
    Was it a stupid mistake? No doubt about that.
    Will he end up paying for it and regretting it for a long time? No doubt about that.

    But, all he did was make a stupid mistake. And I'm pretty sure I've made a couple of those in my lifetime. I've never met Tyler but from what I read about the North Shore cleanup he organized and his other posts he sounds like a regular guy who shares a lot of views with the rest of us. He's a family man (although it appears his wife might have a few issues) with a 6 year old son and I don't think he deserves some of the comments that are being posted.

    You don't want to stand up for him or stand behind him? Well, I probably don't either. But I'll be damned if I'm going to kick him just because he's down.
    Last edited by ARADCOM; 08-21-2010 at 05:57 PM. Reason: spelling

  13. #13
    Opt-Out Members BigDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Yakima, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,463
    Quote Originally Posted by ARADCOM View Post
    But, all he did was make a stupid mistake. And I'm pretty sure I've made a couple of those in my lifetime.
    It is more then stupid it is criminal ! and there is no justification if this is how it played out.

    If you say you have made mistakes at this in the past, then you are in the same boat. Sink or Swim as there is usually no second chances in these cases.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Gravel Switch, KY
    Posts
    544
    Quote Originally Posted by ARADCOM View Post
    Did he make a mistake? You betcha!
    Was it a stupid mistake? No doubt about that.
    Will he end up paying for it and regretting it for a long time? No doubt about that.

    But, all he did was make a stupid mistake. And I'm pretty sure I've made a couple of those in my lifetime.
    I've made some stupid decisions in my life, but none were mistakes. Each was a deliberate decision on my part, but I have NEVER placed a loaded gun to someone's head.

    If the news report is accurate, then he deserves to be locked up for a while.

  15. #15
    Regular Member rotty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis Minnesota
    Posts
    217
    Before people get all worked up .. are we sure what we are reading in this article is ALL THE FACTS ? I do not know the man in question but I do know I would expect my peers to be sure the whole story was told before judgement was passed on me. I'm pretty sure the news outlet responsible did not have a chance to get both sides before writing this article.

    Treating someone how you want to be treated seems like common sense to me.
    - Knowledge is power and there IS strength in numbers -

    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    - Thomas Jefferson

  16. #16
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Psssst. Guys. This sort of thing is gonna happen.

    We advocate for the right of all to possess the means to defend themselves. Naturally, a small percentage of "all" are going to abuse that right.

    The solution is to be ready for it, to have thought through on what position you are going to take.

    Bear in mind we really don't know much about the event, so we don't really know whether Tyler abused the right.

    Even if some of the information is true, it could be a much smaller abuse/offense than alleged. Consider that your wife gets into an argument, then a fight, then is being injured enough to need hospital treatment. Is it really all that unnatural to seize the beater and put a gun to their head. Or, fire a shot into the ground to snap everyone out of their rage and call a halt to the proceedings? Before you learned all the angles about armed self-defense from thoughtful authorities familiar with the law, would such actions, under stress, be totally outside your snap-decision making? If this was the scenario that played out, and I am not saying it was, I would suspect an untrained person who unconsciously relied in the stress of the moment on the only other source of "education" in our culture--TV and movies. Again, I am not saying any of this is what happened. I am literally only offering it as perspective to show that allegations are not facts. Don't forget, we've all seen some government try to twist simple open carry into brandishing. There is no reason to think government would not twist a misguided self-defense scenario into something it wasn't.

    So, lets wait and see. Or, try to find out.

    In the meantime, I think we play into the anti-gunners hands if we get defensive over allegations. Or, if we abandon Tyler before we hear the whole story. No sense in reacting, or feeling guilty or tainted just because our opponents gleefully convict someone before the facts are in. Its their premature conclusion, not ours.

    For myself, I might only write, "If the facts turn out to fit the allegations, such actions are not condoned by open carriers. I find it interesting that some people have already concluded the allegations are true in all regards, before the investigation is complete and before anybody has heard from the arrestee. I wonder what is their agenda, with the understanding that having an agenda is still better than believing everything they hear."
    Last edited by Citizen; 08-21-2010 at 06:50 PM.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,339
    Quote Originally Posted by oneeyeross View Post
    This could easily turn into a domestic violence arrest and then, the stuff will really overwhelm him....

    Don't go over to your ex's house with your hand gun! Don't do it! NEVER!
    No it won't. Domestic violence is defined as acts of violence between one family member or household member and another. An assault on an ex-girlfriend who does not reside with him does not qualify.

    Remember guys people embellish stories and until this guy is given his fair trial the outcome will remain unknown.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Long gone
    Posts
    2,575
    Quote Originally Posted by ARADCOM View Post
    Tyler Visser was arrested in Lynden yesterday for brandishing and firing a shot into the ground according to a story in todays Bellingham Herald. Tyler organized the North Fork cleanup in May of this year.

    The article doesn't mention whether he was OC'ing at the time of the incident which involved a ex-girlfriend.

    http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2010...t-on-lynn.html
    If the reporting is accurate (big If) Mr Visser is not an OC advocate he is a crimminal and needs to spend some time in jail and lose his ability to own firearms forever.

    ARADCOM thanks a lot for the title of your post, your post title does as much harm to OC as Mr Visser just did. You could have used a lot of things for a title except for "OC advocate Arrested". Simply reporting the arrest and supplying a link would have been great.

    No amount of training can repair a lack of common sense, you probably believe hard core criminals can be rehabilitated too, there are some things you just cant fix.

  19. #19
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Psssst. Guys. This sort of thing is gonna happen.

    We advocate for the right of all to possess the means to defend themselves. Naturally, a small percentage of "all" are going to abuse that right.

    The solution is to be ready for it, to have thought through on what position you are going to take.

    Bear in mind we really don't know much about the event, so we don't really know whether Tyler abused the right.

    Even if some of the information is true, it could be a much smaller abuse/offense than alleged. Consider that your wife gets into an argument, then a fight, then is being injured enough to need hospital treatment. Is it really all that unnatural to seize the beater and put a gun to their head. Or, fire a shot into the ground to snap everyone out of their rage and call a halt to the proceedings? Before you learned all the angles about armed self-defense from thoughtful authorities familiar with the law, would such actions, under stress, be totally outside your snap-decision making? If this was the scenario that played out, and I am not saying it was, I would suspect an untrained person who unconsciously relied in the stress of the moment on the only other source of "education" in our culture--TV and movies. Again, I am not saying any of this is what happened. I am literally only offering it as perspective to show that allegations are not facts. Don't forget, we've all seen some government try to twist simple open carry into brandishing. There is no reason to think government would not twist a misguided self-defense scenario into something it wasn't.

    So, lets wait and see. Or, try to find out.

    In the meantime, I think we play into the anti-gunners hands if we get defensive over allegations. Or, if we abandon Tyler before we hear the whole story. No sense in reacting, or feeling guilty or tainted just because our opponents gleefully convict someone before the facts are in. Its their premature conclusion, not ours.

    For myself, I might only write, "If the facts turn out to fit the allegations, such actions are not condoned by open carriers. I find it interesting that some people have already concluded the allegations are true in all regards, before the investigation is complete and before anybody has heard from the arrestee. I wonder what is their agenda, with the understanding that having an agenda is still better than believing everything they hear."
    +1
    Thanks for being a voice of reason.

    I am not sure what happened here, but do know Tyler's ex has been harassing him and his family for sometime now. And I know Tyler personally and know he is a good guy. Maybe he was there to pick up his child. Damn this worries me on so many levels.

    The rest of you who love to be so judgmental may you be judged the same way someday.
    Last edited by sudden valley gunner; 08-21-2010 at 07:06 PM.

  20. #20
    Regular Member j2l3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    871
    joeroket posted:

    No it won't. Domestic violence is defined as acts of violence between one family member or household member and another. An assault on an ex-girlfriend who does not reside with him does not qualify.

    __________________________________________________ ________________________

    This is actually incorrect. The correct definition of a domestic relationship where one can be arrested for domestic violence is....

    RCW 26.50.010

    Definitions.


    </B>As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings given them:

    (1) "Domestic violence" means: (a) Physical harm, bodily injury, assault, or the infliction of fear of imminent physical harm, bodily injury or assault, between family or household members; (b) sexual assault of one family or household member by another; or (c) stalking as defined in RCW 9A.46.110 of one family or household member by another family or household member.

    (2) "Family or household members" means spouses, domestic partners, former spouses, former domestic partners, persons who have a child in common regardless of whether they have been married or have lived together at any time, adult persons related by blood or marriage, adult persons who are presently residing together or who have resided together in the past, persons sixteen years of age or older who are presently residing together or who have resided together in the past and who have or have had a dating relationship, persons sixteen years of age or older with whom a person sixteen years of age or older has or has had a dating relationship, and persons who have a biological or legal parent-child relationship, including stepparents and stepchildren and grandparents and grandchildren.

    (3) "Dating relationship" means a social relationship of a romantic nature. Factors that the court may consider in making this determination include: (a) The length of time the relationship has existed; (b) the nature of the relationship; and (c) the frequency of interaction between the parties.
    Last edited by j2l3; 08-21-2010 at 08:55 PM.
    CZ 75B 9mm, Ruger P94 .40 S&W, Bersa Thunder .380, AR-15 Homebuild

  21. #21
    Regular Member ARADCOM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW Washington, Washington, USA
    Posts
    317

    Thumbs down What??

    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan View Post
    If the reporting is accurate (big If) Mr Visser is not an OC advocate he is a crimminal and needs to spend some time in jail and lose his ability to own firearms forever.

    ARADCOM thanks a lot for the title of your post, your post title does as much harm to OC as Mr Visser just did. You could have used a lot of things for a title except for "OC advocate Arrested". Simply reporting the arrest and supplying a link would have been great.

    No amount of training can repair a lack of common sense, you probably believe hard core criminals can be rehabilitated too, there are some things you just cant fix.
    That's why I love this forum! We not only get busted for what we post, but also the way we post it!

    Get real dude!. He IS a OC advocate. This kind of post by Orphan happens all the time. People don't read the THREAD, they read one or two posts and then get on their high horse and start typing.

    Read the 4th post in the thread Orphan and follow the link.! And then come back and tell me he wasn't an OC advocate.

    But I know you've been around for a while and are active in the movement, so I'll cut you some slack and from now on I'll PM you my potential posts to get a critique of my "common sense" and a OK to post. ;–))
    Last edited by ARADCOM; 08-21-2010 at 08:18 PM. Reason: spelling

  22. #22
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    No one at the Visser home I just checked, no Visser in the hospital and no Vissers are answering their phones.

    I am hoping and know there is more to this story. I know how slanted Bham paper can be and Mr. Slodysko's word means nothing. I have had personal dealings with him.

    Some things are not making sense, who called police? Why did Martha go to the hospital if she was the one giving the beat down? Many missing details, where and when did they arrest, Tyler.

    I am going to presume Tyler innocent until proven guilty, but this whole situation is making my stomach turn and my ulcer to act up.

    Also they I don't believe they drove over to his ex's, the Visser's live right down the road from them so that odd bit of reporting does make sense.

    f

    Case #: 10B31585 Bellingham Police Activity - interesting here is the complaint made by Vissers for harassment the same day.
    Last edited by sudden valley gunner; 08-21-2010 at 09:12 PM.

  23. #23
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Quote Originally Posted by ARADCOM View Post
    SNIP Get real dude!. He IS a OC advocate.
    The point is not whether the thread title is 100% accurate or truthful. The point is the public-relations image conveyed in the thread title. However, I do think Orphan's concern is stronger or worded more strongly than perhaps genuinely needed for actual situation. A bit of a forgiveable over-reaction. The title of the thread is not a PR disaster. It could attract more attention, I think. But, its just a thread title. Its the thread that tells the tale. Anyone citing the thread title against us without reading and citing the thread posts is easily shot full of rhetorical holes. The thread title does not "admit" the allegations are true, does not endorse the alleged actions, etc.

    Remember, everyone, that your recent thread titles can show up early on google returns. I recently discovered this when I posted a thread about a nexus between the 5th Amendment right to silence and the 2nd Amendment--self-preservation. Two days later I went looking for the original source of the quote by a US Supreme Ct justice that established the nexus. I was surprised out of my socks when my own thread showed up as the third google return on a search of the judge's name and the 5th Amendment.

    A better thread title, from a PR point of view, might be something like, "Arrestee Charged With Brandishing", or "OCer Seized in [city]", "Good Use of Firearm?", or "Unproven Allegations Against OCer." But, again, I don't think the current thread title a huge deal. I just searched a few keywords that a curious non-member might use when looking for us just in general, and not specifically in relation to the thread, and got no google returns to this thread in the first 2-3 pages of returns. Almost as though the keywords for this thread title have so much in common with other, more numerous, net items that the keywords do not lead here.
    Last edited by Citizen; 08-21-2010 at 09:22 PM.

  24. #24
    Regular Member ARADCOM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW Washington, Washington, USA
    Posts
    317

    Thumbs up OK, so you're mostly right.

    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    The point is not whether the thread title is 100% accurate or truthful. The point is the public-relations image conveyed in the thread title. However, I do think Orphan's concern is stronger or worded more strongly than perhaps genuinely needed for actual situation. A bit of a forgiveable over-reaction. The title of the thread is not a PR disaster. It could attract more attention, I think. But, its just a thread title. Its the thread that tells the tale. Anyone citing the thread title against us without reading and citing the thread posts is easily shot full of rhetorical holes. The thread title does not "admit" the allegations are true, does not endorse the alleged actions, etc.

    Remember, everyone, that your recent thread titles can show up early on google returns. I recently discovered this when I posted a thread about a nexus between the 5th Amendment right to silence and the 2nd Amendment--self-preservation. Two days later I went looking for the original source of the quote by a US Supreme Ct justice that established the nexus. I was surprised out of my socks when my own thread showed up as the third google return on a search of the judge's name and the 5th Amendment.

    A better thread title, from a PR point of view, might be something like, "Arrestee Charged With Brandishing", or "OCer Seized in [city]", "Good Use of Firearm?", or "Unproven Allegations Against OCer." But, again, I don't think the current thread title a huge deal. I just searched a few keywords that a curious non-member might use when looking for us just in general, and not specifically in relation to the thread, and got no google returns to this thread in the first 2-3 pages of returns. Almost as though the keywords for this thread title have so much in common with other, more numerous, net items that the keywords do not lead here.
    OK, so I can tell I'm intellectually outgunned on this one given your well reasoned response. So, maybe a different title might have been more appropriate.

    However, methinks that if I had used the same title on a link to a legal OC'er getting illegally arrested for legally OC'ing... Well, probably no ones panties (or thong, as the case might be) would be bunched up.

    My posts have not been negative on this and I only have issues with the people that are forming the lynch mob.

  25. #25
    Regular Member Ajetpilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Olalla, Kitsap County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,410

    Thank you for your voice of reason!

    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Psssst. Guys. This sort of thing is gonna happen.

    Bear in mind we really don't know much about the event, so we don't really know whether Tyler abused the right...

    Even if some of the information is true, it could be a much smaller abuse/offense than alleged...

    So, lets wait and see. Or, try to find out...

    For myself, I might only write, "If the facts turn out to fit the allegations, such actions are not condoned by open carriers. I find it interesting that some people have already concluded the allegations are true in all regards, before the investigation is complete and before anybody has heard from the arrestee. I wonder what is their agenda, with the understanding that having an agenda is still better than believing everything they hear."
    Jumping to conclusions before the real facts are known is ridiculous. Reporters have a deadline to meet. They get their information from arrest reports. Allegations are easy; proof is hard.

    Let's wait and see if we can discern what really happened.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •