• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry in the National Rec Area/lake mead

Count

Founder's Club Member
With the new federal law bringing National Park lands in line with BLM and National Forests, has anyone one of you open carried around Lake Mead? Also, did you go to Lake Mead near Boulder City? I will be going to Vegas in two weeks and I don't have a ccw permit. I want to make sure it's legal.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

I have open carried on my motorcycle several times. I am left handed, so when I pull up to do the transaction to get into the recreational area, I am showing strong side.
I did that accross the Dam before the parks opened up to state firearm laws, as hwy 95 was not part of the Rec area just do not go off the hwy.
as far as carry in the parks without a ccw, i would not, other than accross the Dam.
It seems the federal law rides on allowable carry in the State parks, our state parks require a CCW. This does not mean that you cannot open carry, it just means that you cannot carry in the park without a CCW. This has been addressed in previous threads that are titled "open carry in national parks" etc. All of the Cites backing my statements are on those threads.

BionicJumpy

Didn't someone just challenge the need for a CCW to carry in Nevada State Parks? I'll look this up but if someone has the info on hand please post.

You can OC or CC in lake mead only with a CCW permit. I google before I went over there last weekend and also ask the ranger at the gate.

Count

Founder's Club Member
I have open carried on my motorcycle several times. I am left handed, so when I pull up to do the transaction to get into the recreational area, I am showing strong side.
I did that accross the Dam before the parks opened up to state firearm laws, as hwy 95 was not part of the Rec area just do not go off the hwy.
as far as carry in the parks without a ccw, i would not, other than accross the Dam.
It seems the federal law rides on allowable carry in the State parks, our state parks require a CCW. This does not mean that you cannot open carry, it just means that you cannot carry in the park without a CCW. This has been addressed in previous threads that are titled "open carry in national parks" etc. All of the Cites backing my statements are on those threads.

I understand the federal law copies the state law but it doesn't state it copies the state law for state parks. Is that the way they interpret it in Nevada as to copy state law for state parks?