• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CZ-82 for daily carry, opinions?

Metalhead47

For a long time now my wife has been looking for "her" carry gun. She started with a Taurus revolver & HiPoint 9mm. She liked the revolver but we had too many issues with it so we sold it and got her a KelTec P11. The gun fits her well but she doesn't like to shoot it (neither do I for that matter). The light weight of the gun makes heavy trigger pull really awkward (and it bites both of us on our thumb knuckles). She likes shooting the HP and does well with it, but being an HP it's a friggin' brick to carry around. She likes my Tanfoglio 45, but that's a bit of a brick too and not good for purse carry.

Anyways, we were looking thru some C&R guns yesterday and she kinda took a liking to the Cz-82. Now I know I saw someone on here has one for a daily carry weapon, but the search is failing me. Can I get some input here from those familiar with it? From what I've dug up so far, it's got a DA pull on the lighter side, very smooth trigger, heavier than the KelTec but still light enough not to be a burden like the HP. Does it have a decocker or just a safety?

Edit to add:

9x18 Makarov: Not impressive. Better than a .380 but not nearly a 9mm Loogey right?

Last edited:

amlevin

This isn't a bad pistol but is kind of a "relic". Even qualifies as a C&R (curio and relic) under BATFE rules which is usually reserved for 100 year old firearms.

I am a big fan of CZ pistols but not of the 9X18 Makarov round. I select all my pistols on the basis of reliability, accuracy, and an equally important factor, that of ammo availability. If you are going to carry a 9mm, make it a 9X19 (Luger, Parabellum). More choices of ammo for SD.

Take a look at the CZ2075 RAMI:

CZ_2075_RAMI%20copy%20copy_png_637x200_q85.png

May cost a little more but as I understand, you have already been through two pistols that she didn't like. It's not always how much you pay, it's how often you have to pay it.

If you are looking for a good compact handgun, this is just one of many good choices. If you are looking for a $200 gun, stick with the Kel-Tec's. At least you will be able to get parts if anything breaks.

Last edited:

oneeyeross

I carry a CZ vz 82. I love it.

It doesn't have a decocker, you have to hold the hammer like on a revolver. Easy money when you get used to doing it.

By the way, the vz82 is NOT a relic, it is a CURIO, listed as such because the curator at the West Point Museum (yes, that West Point) wanted to have one in his museum. Also, to qualify as a "relic" a firearm only has to be 50 years old, so some model 10 S&W revolvers are now "relics"...does that mean they aren't any good anymore?

The vz82 is a great hand gun, with a wonderful trigger in both double and single action. It has a 13 round magazine, polygonal rifling, all steel - just a great weapon. Built to be GI proof. What more could you want?

(I know, some people who have never shot one or owned one will tell you all the reasons not to get one. But, it is like a High Point, inexpensive doesn't mean cheap or bad. Further, how does it feel in YOUR hand, or your wife's hand?)

Some people will tell you that 9x18 is too "whimpy" to use for self defense. The KGB didn't find it to be that bad. I feel perfectly comfortable and safely protected carrying it on a daily basis. In fact, it has replaced my Makarov as my concealed carry, as well as my open carry weapon of choice.

Get one. You won't be disappointed.

I do also carry a .38 special with a four inch barrel, at times. I think both are perfectly acceptable as self defense rounds. Without starting caliber wars, the sequel, it's about SHOT PLACEMENT.

Last edited:

devildoc5

once again doing my default and playing devils advocate.

The OP DID NOT state anything about the 9x18 being an inadequate self defense round. He did however state that when COMPARED to the 9x19 it is not readily available.

There is a difference. In a pinch a .22 would work as a decent self defense round (it isn't about killing, just about neutralizing the threat) however is there an abundance of the availability for the ammo?

Thsi is another reason why I have yet to obatin one of the FN fivesevens. They are pretty awesome pistols, however how available are the rounda and how much do they cost????

irish52084

I own and have CC'd my CZ82 quite a bit. It's a fantastic pistol and very accurate. The trigger on mine is a fairly light and smooth double action and a light crisp single action.

First range trip with it and my girlfriend decided it was hers, she shoots it exceptionally we for some reason, lol. I have noticed the makarovs and cz 82's seem to be really popular with female shooters.

If you feel the need to add night sights to it, I believe the 82 uses the same sights as a cz 75. THe cz 82 is an improvement to the makarov because it was designed much later, has a very positive safety, 12+1 capacity and better sights. I paid $245 for mine after tax and ammo is readily available online if you cant find it at a retailer near you.

The 9x18 is not quite a 9mm luger/parrabellum/9x19/NATO in power. It has served a long time in eastern bloc nations as a military and police round and seems to be adequate, though that is subjective.

irish52084

If you would like to fire one before making a decision, PM me and maybe we can work something out.
I forgot to mention they are really simple to maintain as well. Another thing often forgotten about the 9x18 is that it's bullet diameter is actually .363"-.365" versus the 9mm luger diameter of .355"-.356".

amlevin

The 9x18 is not quite a 9mm luger/parrabellum/9x19/NATO in power. It has served a long time in eastern bloc nations as a military and police round and seems to be adequate, though that is subjective.

Just about any round will seem adequate when dealing with an essentially "disarmed" society. I lived in Germany for two years when the Polizei were all carrying PPK's chambered for 7.65X17 (also called 7.65 Browning, or .32 ACP). Their pistols were merely there for backup as the most common used weapon was a rubber club called a truncheon. It had great "stopping power".

I shot in a pistol match with three different German Politzei units (national, state, and waterway unit). They loved our 45's but not a single one of them wanted to have to carry one all day on duty. They liked their compact PPK's.

That was then, and this is now. Just about all European police have abandoned the small pistols and gone for standard sized versions mostly in 9mm.

Metalhead47

Thanx for the input guys

As Official Ammo Supplier for the household, the supply of 9x18 seems pretty adequate to me. That caliber actually sticks in my head as the one I'm always tripping over looking for something else, the cheap Russian pinking stuff is all over the place. Honady & Corbon both make defensive rounds too. Yeah, *I'm* certainly not crazy about it as a defensive round, I'd rather my wife carried a good ol' dependable .45 (actually I'd rather she carried a 35mm armor-piercing explosive lazerguided nightvision OMIGAWWWWWD, but I digress...)

BUT...

The three most important things are shot placement, shot placement, & shot placement. The key to shot placement is PRACTICE, and the key to practice is a gun she likes to shoot as much as the AR-15. The Keltec is easy to carry, but no fun to shoot anymore. Irish, think I might take you up on that offer.