• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

iwb carry

KYKevin

Is IWB small of the back considered legal in kentucky? I have been carrying IWB on my side but it is a bit uncomfortable. It feels better in the small of my bck but I did not know if that would be considered leagal here in Kentucky.

neuroblades

You need to be more specific about this. Are you talking about a "Mexican " carry or IWB in a holster? Are you talking about OC or CC? It will make a difference to the LEO that you might encounter. I'll explain.

If you have CCDW and are carrying concealed then it doesn't matter, of course. I'm assuming thought that you're talking about OC thought anf that makes a world of difference.

If you're carrying OC IWB, COB as in "Mexican" carry, then don't be surprised when you become an LEO magnet! Of all the illegal weapons I've encountered, ALL were IWB "Mexican" carry! It will definitely draw attention from LEO!

If you're carrying OC IWB, COB in a holster, it's slightly less likely to draw negative LEO attention. Some people out there will no doubt huff in disbelief at this but the truth is the truth.

OK, now the truth about the IWB COB carry, it will almost always meant to be done as a concealed carry option under clothing due to the tactical disadvantage that it places you in. You wonder why? Well, to deply your sidearm, you have to intentionally twist your own arm behind your back to reach it and this places you at a major disadvantage in a life and death situation where you'll already be under enough stress. Granted, it does keep your weapon out of sight better in reference to being seen on the side carry but it's not enough of an advantage to make it worth the effort. Granted this is only possible in the best of situations as per concealed carry with CCDW.

If OC'ing then you have no tactical advantage at all and are in fact a danger to yourself and all around you. You wonder why? Your weapon is in the open, it is much easier to be taken away from you by a "bad guy", and even if neither one of those comes into play, then imagine deploying or worse, the misread motion of reaching into your back pocket by the sheeple around you.

This is not legal advice, just knowledge from years of carrying OC and CC. Use it as you will and happy carrying. :)

KYKevin

Thanks for the reply neuro. And yes I did mean holstered. I would never mexican carry. The holster I was using was very uncomfortable on my side IWB. I just found one today thought that I can OWB and not be to use the term floppy. lol. So I have switched to that. Did not really want to iwb cob. so least I have resolved the issue. Just took finding another holster that would work.

neuroblades

No problem Kevin. :) I'm glad I could help you out. I started with a strong side OWB holster before I had my CCDW. Once I got my CCDW though I went over to my shoulder rig, a Galco Jackass rig. I'd not suggest a shoulder rig without a CCDW either. This is based upon the advice of KSP directly. But I now OC & CC with my shoulder rig and I'll be adding a Galco Summer Comfort 2 in the future for my BUG (Back Up Gun).

You just have to think about how sheeple will see you when you're carrying though. I'm not saying that we shouldn't carry, just that we have to be very responsible. We have to be prepared for the possiblity of a MWAG call in addition to the other issues that might arise.