• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry/ conceal carry

oliverclotheshoff

When and hopefully when the conceal carry bill passes in WI i am assuming that a saftey cert will be required I was wondering if anyone knew of a central database that show who offers these kind of courses throughout the state

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Certified in accordance with Wisconsin Statutes and Administrative Regulations

Print as wallet card. Notarize if desired. Laminate after signatures. Copyright © DBH
================================================== ==========
The undersigned certifies that the four precepts of safe gun handling are understood and memorized; LOADED FN:1, MUZZLE FN:2, TRIGGER FN:3, TARGET FN:4 and that firing a gun requires violation of one or more of these precepts of safe gun handling. FN:Footnotes overleaf.

The undersigned certifies that the four elements of common-law self-defense are understood and memorized; 1) be innocent of instigation, 2) be in reasonable fear of bodily harm, 3) use sufficient force only to deliver oneself from evil, 4) attempt to withdraw. The undersigned acknowledges that local statutes may further restrict or expand common law.

I,________________ certify this day, __________________ that the above is true

Signed:
========================OVERLEAF================== ==========
[1] LOADED- All guns are LOADED until they are not, proven to the satisfaction of all involved.

[2] MUZZLE - Cover with the MUZZLE only that which would be destroyed.

[3] TRIGGER - Keep your finger off the TRIGGER. Keep YOUR finger off the TRIGGER.

[4] TARGET - Know your TARGET and what is beyond.

One or more of these precepts of safe gun handling MUST BE VIOLATED to fire a gun.
================================================== ==========
There, you're certified in accordance with Wisconsin Statutes and Administrative Regulations on 08/21/2010

Last edited:

phred

Proposed: Anyone desiring state permitting of gun carry and having traffic citations be denied as unreliable.

Hmmm

No traffic citations as of today. Tomorrow is another gamble.

Thought you would knock me out of the pool, huh!

Doug, please send your certificate to Gov. Doyle so he won't need his body guards to defend him. He'll now be able to defend himself.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
When and hopefully when the conceal carry bill passes in WI i am assuming that a saftey cert will be required I was wondering if anyone knew of a central database that show who offers these kind of courses throughout the state

I don't know of any such database, and I'm not sure what good it would do at this point in time. For the sake of discussion, let's say the state does require a firearms safety certification-- would it be a specific certification? or would it be like, say, Florida, which will accept just about any sort of evidence of gun safety training-- a hunter's safety course, military training, an NRA certified course that includes firearms safety, some CCW classes required to receive other states' permits. Until and if it happens, not sure how useful the information would be. I'm a certified firearms safety instructor, but nothing would necessarily prevent the state from enacting a requirement that I take a specific course in order to get a CCW permit in WI. All previous classes, permits, certifications and experience could mean nothing if the state requires a specific class to be taken, such as in MN.

Hopefully Wisconsin will require no permit or license to CCW; or if it does, it is a permit issued simply on the basis of passing a records check similar to that done when purchasing a firearm. A drawback to both scenarios is that it would greatly limit the number of other states in which one could CCW without getting an out-of-state permit.

Side note: I noticed recently that Iowa's laws will change Jan. 1, 2011. On that date Iowa will become a shall-issue state and will honor all other state's CCW permits/licenses.

paul@paul-fisher.com

1. We are hoping that we will go to Constitutional Carry, which will require no permit or training.
2. If we are unsuccessful, since the law hasn't been passed, I do not believe we know what kind of training would be required.

The main reason why #1 would be awesome is that if we get #2, it would take some time for the state to setup the training requirements as well as the agency to process all the applications.

jpm84092

Best Scenario For Wisconsin

In the best possible scenario:

1) Wisconsin would go to "constitutional carry" and allow anyone already allowed by Federal Law to possess a handgun to do so in Wisconsin; whether open or concealed and without need for a permit.

2) Wisconsin would enact a concealed weapon permitting system that would be optional for those who choose to utilize it and structure it so that a maximum number of States would honor it.

3) Wisconsin would enact a Castle Doctrine Law with a "make my day" clause that allows any law abiding citizen to stand his/her ground both in his/her home, automobile, and anywhere he/she has a legal right to be.

4) The US Congress gets off its' ass and enacts a Nation-Wide concealed carry law based on the concept of Constitutional Carry.

If those 4 things can be accomplished, bad guys will think twice about their career choice.

Last edited: