• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry LEO non incident on Skyline Drive

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Me and another forum member were OCing and standing in the Dickey Ridge Picnic area parking lot this afternoon when a park ranger drove up to chat with our group for a minute, showed no concern or made any mention about the arms. He was friendly and polite and on his way in a minute. Really nothing to report other than a non incident.

longwatch

This is interesting, found in the parks newsletter.
http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/loader.cfm?csModule=security/getfile&PageID=265723
Firearms Permitted in Shenandoah
As of February 22, 2010, a new federal law allows people who can legally possess
firearms under federal, Commonwealth of Virginia, and local laws to possess
firearms in Shenandoah National Park.
It is the visitor’s responsibility to understand and comply with all applicable state,
local, and federal firearms laws. Federal law prohibits firearms in certain facilities in
this park; those places are posted with signs at public entrances. If you have questions,
please contact the park at (540) 999-3500.
The new law only affects the possession of firearms. Other weapons, such as
bows, slingshots, and compressed gas or spring-powered pistols and rifles are still
prohibited. Also, there is no change in the regulations prohibiting the use of
firearms, hunting, or transporting legally taken wildlife through the park.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
This is interesting, found in the parks newsletter.
http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/loader.cfm?csModule=security/getfile&PageID=265723

The new law only affects the possession of firearms. Other weapons, such as
bows, slingshots, and compressed gas or spring-powered pistols and rifles are still
prohibited. Also, there is no change in the regulations prohibiting the use of
firearms, hunting, or transporting legally taken wildlife through the park.

That still strikes me as silly. I can take my gun, any of my guns, but I can't take my Taser:banghead:

hometheaterman

I have noticed that many of the signs at the starts of the trails on skyline drive still have the sign up that mentions that you can't have any weapons on the park. These are the ones on the posts at the yellow chains that mark the starts of the trails. I wonder when they are going to get this fixed.

ed

Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
I have noticed that many of the signs at the starts of the trails on skyline drive still have the sign up that mentions that you can't have any weapons on the park. These are the ones on the posts at the yellow chains that mark the starts of the trails. I wonder when they are going to get this fixed.

Have YOU taken photo's of the signs and mailed them along with YOUR letter to the park authority asking for their removal?

longwatch

That does bring up a good point, the NPS has put up many recovery act signs around the numerous construction sites on the drive but it seems like they are a little slow taking down the no guns ones. I saw a few in early July in the area around Matthews Arm, OTOH I don't recall seeing any at Dickey Ridge this past weekend.