• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Range Time Again

OPS MARINE

Went to the range here in California, shortly after returning from Las Vegas. I have to admit that it felt weird to have a (relatively) unloaded weapon on my hip as I entered the store. Then again, I've lived here a while. One of the employees here at this range whom I've never spoken to before told me that I was asking for trouble because he had 30 years of LE and the cops were going to "stick a gun in my face." This is strange to me because I've been patronizing this outfit for years...I even did so while I was a Peace Officer. maybe he never saw that or cared. I didn't have the time or inclination to explain to him who I was, or show him evidence.

I probably should have taken the time to educate, but he was staunch in his view, I was on his turf, and although the age disparity shouldn't make a difference, I had to just respect him and not argue with him openly on the floor. I holstered my weapon and left the building.

I plan on returning in a little while and getting this bad taste out of my mouth. I enjoy shooting and shopping there, and absolutely no one else has ever approached me in that matter. I wonder if he was racist. Yes, I said it. Then again, I have no way of knowing his personal standpoint on race...it just seemed out of place that he would take it upon himself to tell me about "guns being pointed." Seems like I would know about such a thing.

Anyway...pics. I cannot resize these for some reason. I apologize in advance.

Walking In
photo.jpg

A teachable moment...
photo3.jpg

Gettin' some...
photo2.jpg

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
You are all over the state OPS. Sorry to hear about your most recent encounter. I had a customer tell me it was illegal to open carry when I had mentioned it to an employee of Jackson Arms once. I corrected him but he remained adamant that a CA Fish and Game Code made it unlawful. I knew what he was referring to, but had to leave it at that since I had guests who were waiting for me to bring them something to shoot.

Seems like everybody knows everything as soon as they enter a firearm establishment.

Tekniqe

I'm sure everyone has had to do it before, but you just gotta brush it off.

Explaining to him your position is good though. If he doesn't change his mind, at least you've done your best.

Keep doing you. =)

OPS MARINE

Thanks for the vote of confidence, guys. I don't know what I really would have said to him if i'd stayed in this particular instance. I mean, I'd already been there 2 hours, and did some classroom instruction before I put a friend on the range. I was hungry and just needed to be away from this negative Nelly quickly. Maybe it's better I left.

Oh, yes I will continue to "do me" because I do it legally. There is no way that guy would have stopped me anyway. Just best to be polite and move on sometimes.

"Seems like everybody knows everything as soon as they enter a firearm establishment." Yes, it does, and I just don't understand it. Read the law, Jackwagon. I don't know everything, but I have books, libraries, the internet and an inquisitive, absorbant mind. I try to learn so I know what I'm talking about. (Rant)

Iopencarry

OPS,
Way to go my friend. As long as you know the truth, he will never be able to sway you. Maybe he has had 'guns pointed at him". Maybe next time you go into that range, you can take some flyers with you, for the counter. Teach him (or try to), about the facts.
I have carried almost everyday for over 2 yrs. and have never had a LEO point his gun at me.

Maybe his attitude is what causes him problems with LEO's.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
I probably should have taken the time to educate, but he was staunch in his view, I was on his turf, and although the age disparity shouldn't make a difference, I had to just respect him and not argue with him openly on the floor. I holstered my weapon and left the building.

I respect your decision to withdraw. It's sometimes better to not make a scene out of it, though I might have been tempted to call him on his patently false assertions.

As representatives of the 'unfettered right' camp we do need to take more time to educate- but that doesnt mean you have to stand toe to toe with them to debate it- Take a fact sheet or flyer (this should be a part of your OC package-) with you and leave it with them. The worst thing they could do is throw it away, but I think most gun people are just curious enough to learn more when presented facts and anecdotes about open carry.

heliopolissolutions

Damn OPS you are up and down this state. You come this way to Merced and I'll take you out to Gunrunners.

They might try to e-check you there though! XD

OPS MARINE

Gunrunners, huh? Never been there. I may have to take you up on that sometime withing the next 30-45 days. Are you serious? Would they really try that there and risk a tongue lashing or snapped arm? Bold. :)

Do you have a dotcom on them? I've searched, but what I find comes up with broken links.

Come to think of it, I haven't been to Merced in about 4 years. I had to go to the Sheriff's Department on business, and was pressed for time. There was a delay, and I had time to eat at the Chinese restaurant that was across from a Wells Fargo at the time. Do you know where I mean?

Last edited:

coolusername2007

Good call Ops. Suggestion...keep some brochures in your car for just such occasions. As you already know, educating and convincing are two different things entirely. Some people just won't accept the truth. Some prefer to perpetuate what they believe vs. the truth. I suspect this comes from their not wanting to be hassled so they take it several extra steps. As far as the racist thing...I don't get it, are you illegal or something? :lol:

OPS MARINE

"I don't get it. Are you illegal or something?"

I suppose so, in his eyes. He was just an anus about it. I didn't deserve that. I brought 3 shooters who'd never been there and they went crazy buying sh*t in the store. Does that rate me getting preferential treatment? No. Should I even get a cookie? No. I didn't pay a cent into this. All I ask for is a little respect for my views that aren't harmful to you or anyone else. Don't just dismiss me because I don't (in your opinion) fit YOUR standard for someone carrying a gun.

Maybe he's seen me before, and just forgot because he's old. Oh, my. That was not cool to say.

Sidenote: I wonder if the Las Vegas cops that stood with me for the pics or sat in their car while an armed man pointed a camera at them ever thought of shooting me.

Back to edit again. You know, when I bought my last gun there, I showed my DD214 and DD215 (added awards). Don't recognize a legal citizen!?

Last edited:

markm

Thanks for serving our country as a U.S. Marine and a LEO.

Hey Ops Marine,

Sometimes I try to use sarcasm and it backfires. It backfires almost everytime I try it. Could the jerk be guilty of MarkM?

Maybe he was trying to be humorous and failed miserably? Dunno!

Just a guess.

Pictures are worth a thousand words. You should have been cast in "Predator." You would have been a good addition to the team. If you and Jesse were coming after me, I would drop a load.

Thanks again,

markm

OPS MARINE

No thanks necessary. It's what I was made to do.

I don't know what he's guilty of besides being an a-hole.

"Predator?" Hell, I sure could use the money.

heliopolissolutions

Gunrunners, huh? Never been there. I may have to take you up on that sometime withing the next 30-45 days. Are you serious? Would they really try that there and risk a tongue lashing or snapped arm? Bold. :)

Do you have a dotcom on them? I've searched, but what I find comes up with broken links.

Come to think of it, I haven't been to Merced in about 4 years. I had to go to the Sheriff's Department on business, and was pressed for time. There was a delay, and I had time to eat at the Chinese restaurant that was across from a Wells Fargo at the time. Do you know where I mean?

You get your butt up here, its on me.
I am serious.
http://gunhero.info/4701/11122.html?*session*id*key*=*session*id*val*

They are good people,truly, and a great range as far as I am concerned, but there are the same ignorances and errors of judgment made here as can be found in any gun shop.

When I was in Fresno I had Ron Sawl of "The Range" tell me that UOC in my car was illegal because it was concealed. I couldn't help but stare. The mans a doggone attorney and a former LEO. But I digress.

OPS MARINE

You get your butt up here, its on me.
I am serious.
http://gunhero.info/4701/11122.html?*session*id*key*=*session*id*val*

They are good people,truly, and a great range as far as I am concerned, but there are the same ignorances and errors of judgment made here as can be found in any gun shop.

When I was in Fresno I had Ron Sawl of "The Range" tell me that UOC in my car was illegal because it was concealed. I couldn't help but stare. The mans a doggone attorney and a former LEO. But I digress.
:shocker: He said whaaaat? Thanks for the link...I'll talk to you offline.