Thread: Driving to Alaska

Driving to Alaska

I'm moving up to Alaska next month from the lower 48. I had already planned on shipping my guns by air, but I have a lot of ammo reloading supplies. Does anyone know if Canada restricts possession of that sort of stuff, or can I bring it with me for the drive north?

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Canada Welcomes You!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.canadawelcomesyou.net/faq.html
    Q. What do I need to bring my firearms into Canada?
    A. ALL fully automatic weapons, handguns and pepper spray are prohibited in Canada.
    You must obtain a gun permit for your guns. Refer to www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca. You may bring a hunting rifle or shotgun into Ontario for hunting or Competition purposes in you are 18 years of age or older. Firearms must be Registered for a fee of $25. This permit is valid for a period of 60 days. You can also bring up to 200 rounds of ammunition for hunting or 1,500 rounds for use at a recognized shooting competition. Any amounts of ammunition in excess must be tax paid.
    For more information contact 1-800-731-4000 or (705) 329-7662 or visit the Canadian
    Firearms Centre at www.cfc-caf.gc.ca

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Freightdog View Post
    I'm moving up to Alaska next month from the lower 48. I had already planned on shipping my guns by air, but I have a lot of ammo reloading supplies. Does anyone know if Canada restricts possession of that sort of stuff, or can I bring it with me for the drive north?
    Some good information here:
    http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d...234828p2.html?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Thanks guys; good info on those links.

"Non-restricted" long-guns may be simply presented at the border along with a properly completed Nonresident Firearms Declaration Form and $25 fee.
    Last edited by MadMax; 06-12-2011 at 03:39 PM.

I drove to, and around AK for some weeks back in '99. I read that transporting a handgun through canada was prohibited, so we only took a rifle and shotgun. Back in the 60's when we went the same route, one of my relatives had a revolver that he was allowed to take through on the way to AK, but the Canadian agents at the border placed it in a sealed baggie for the duration.

Dont believe anything you are told about Canada and guns. We called Canada law enforcement, US law enforcement, the Consulate and every other "authority" we could think of for when we were gonna drive through Canada to Alaska in 2005. They all LIED! and we were turned around at the border and not allowed to enter.

Just a fair warning.

From Bellingham WA to Alaska -- skip Canada completely and take the Alaska Marine Highway. http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/index.shtml
    Owned by Alaska, and guns are no big deal on the ferry.
    Last edited by Archsgurl; 09-07-2010 at 02:29 PM.

Hassled at border for another reason ?

When driving to/from Alaska thru Canada has anyone ever been hassled by Canada Customs because the firearms they have were obtained privately and no 4473 exists ?