• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Driving to Alaska

Freightdog

I'm moving up to Alaska next month from the lower 48. I had already planned on shipping my guns by air, but I have a lot of ammo reloading supplies. Does anyone know if Canada restricts possession of that sort of stuff, or can I bring it with me for the drive north?

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Canada Welcomes You!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.canadawelcomesyou.net/faq.html
Q. What do I need to bring my firearms into Canada?
A. ALL fully automatic weapons, handguns and pepper spray are prohibited in Canada.
You must obtain a gun permit for your guns. Refer to www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca. You may bring a hunting rifle or shotgun into Ontario for hunting or Competition purposes in you are 18 years of age or older. Firearms must be Registered for a fee of $25. This permit is valid for a period of 60 days. You can also bring up to 200 rounds of ammunition for hunting or 1,500 rounds for use at a recognized shooting competition. Any amounts of ammunition in excess must be tax paid.
For more information contact 1-800-731-4000 or (705) 329-7662 or visit the Canadian
Firearms Centre at www.cfc-caf.gc.ca

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

MadMax

"Non-restricted" long-guns may be simply presented at the border along with a properly completed Nonresident Firearms Declaration Form and $25 fee.

Last edited:

AyatollahGondola

I drove to, and around AK for some weeks back in '99. I read that transporting a handgun through canada was prohibited, so we only took a rifle and shotgun. Back in the 60's when we went the same route, one of my relatives had a revolver that he was allowed to take through on the way to AK, but the Canadian agents at the border placed it in a sealed baggie for the duration.

NOTFORLONG

Can you go by private plane flying over canada?
What about a boat/ cruise out of washington state?
Either way screw canada, i'm for boycotting everything made there.

Archsgurl

Dont believe anything you are told about Canada and guns. We called Canada law enforcement, US law enforcement, the Consulate and every other "authority" we could think of for when we were gonna drive through Canada to Alaska in 2005. They all LIED! and we were turned around at the border and not allowed to enter.

Just a fair warning.

From Bellingham WA to Alaska -- skip Canada completely and take the Alaska Marine Highway. http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/index.shtml
Owned by Alaska, and guns are no big deal on the ferry. :)

Last edited:

northstar65

Hassled at border for another reason ?

When driving to/from Alaska thru Canada has anyone ever been hassled by Canada Customs because the firearms they have were obtained privately and no 4473 exists ?