• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tennessean goes to jail for carrying a couple handguns in his car

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussP

I can assure everyone here that this is not the first time nor will it be the last time that a person in power pulled strings to help a friend out. The only people that complain about it are the ones with no friends in power. If anyone here feels this isn't fair, maybe they should try to acquire different friends in more prominent positions.
Perhaps more people in general should ask those in power for help solving problems.

What makes the headlines? Stories about the power brokers, the influence peddlers, the special interest groups, corporate influence, financial contributions traded for special consideration make the headlines. Then there are the stories about members of Congress bringing Federal funding into their states for various projects. For some the projects equal jobs and improvements. Others see pork barrel spending. Guess it depends on whether you are the beneficiary of the spending.

Here Pastor Duncan's wife, Carolyn, calls a leader in their church who calls a friend who calls a member of Congress who mobilizes his staff on a Sunday who calls a former NRA attorney who goes into court and gets Pastor Duncan out of jail, gets the charges dismissed and may get his guns back and his record expunged, and that equates to an abuse of power.

A Congressman intervenes on behalf of a constituent when there's a clear infringement on that citizen's 2nd Amendment Rights by a government entity who flaunts its disregard for those Rights, and that's bad.

Like I said, more people need to involve those with the authority to change bad situations, bad laws more often. It needs to be before an incident like Pastor Duncan's, too.

kwikrnu

Banned
I disagree. While he did get favoritism, the outcome was proper. He was not penalized for exercising his right to self-defense.

The proper solution is for everyone else to get the same outcome, not penalize him like everyone else. Just because bad things are done to some people does not mean they should be done to all people just so everyone has equal misery.

This fish escaped the government net; the solution is to get rid of the net so all fish can swim free.

We'll never get rid of the net when the rich and connected get thrown back and the poor and down trodden with no resources get eaten.

slowfiveoh

Nothing like reading a thread on equality wherein people claim that the empowerment by proxy/friendship/family is appropriate.

Newflash: The "real world" is NOT "supposed to work that way".

Liberty and Justice for all.

Not "Liberty and Justice for the "connected".

Capiche?

Arguing that certain aspects of the world ARE that way does not mean they SHOULD BE, which is the purpose for the article. The configuration procarryguy says is "The real world" is nothing more than praising an oligarchy.

Thank you both, Procarryguy and RussP, for proving my assessment earlier regarding your emotive, socially driven world view. :D

Would it hurt for Tennesseans to contact Rep. Roe, thanking him for getting involved and encouraging him to pursue Mayor Fenty's assistance in loosening DC's gun laws?

Just pointing out that this is an assumption. Nothing more, nothing less.

Besides. It's not like Tennessee is the appropriate model of carry.

Better to talk to states like Alaska, or Arizona. Even Washington.

Last edited:

RussP

We'll never get rid of the net when the rich and connected get thrown back and the poor and down trodden with no resources get eaten.
You are saying Pastor Duncan and his wife are "rich and connected".

You say:
The pastor should have been convicted and then fought through the courts just like everyone else.
Why are you begrudging the good fortune of Pastor Duncan?

Procarryguy

Banned
Nothing like reading a thread on equality wherein people claim that the empowerment by proxy/friendship/family is appropriate.

Newflash: The "real world" is NOT "supposed to work that way".

Liberty and Justice for all.

Not "Liberty and Justice for the "connected".

Capiche?

Arguing that certain aspects of the world ARE that way does not mean they SHOULD BE, which is the purpose for the article. The configuration procarryguy says is "The real world" is nothing more than praising an oligarchy.

Thank you both, Procarryguy and RussP, for proving my assessment earlier regarding your emotive, socially driven world view. :D

Just pointing out that this is an assumption. Nothing more, nothing less.

Besides. It's not like Tennessee is the appropriate model of carry.

Better to talk to states like Alaska, or Arizona. Even Washington.

You're the perfect example of what I was saying. You think it "should" be this and it "should" be that. You think it's so unfair that life isn't the way you think it "should" be. Life simply is what it is because people made it that way. I'm not saying its right, I'm only saying that's the way it is.

Must be nice living in that fools paradise huh?;)

aadvark

I hope The Federal Congress 'wrangles' in Washington D.C. under Congressional Bill 5150.

slowfiveoh

You're the perfect example of what I was saying. You think it "should" be this and it "should" be that. You think it's so unfair that life isn't the way you think it "should" be. Life simply is what it is because people made it that way. I'm not saying its right, I'm only saying that's the way it is.

Must be nice living in that fools paradise huh?;)

When you're foolish enough to kick back and think this type of behavior is ok, you really enlighten people to the nature of your being.

We live in the same world indeed. The difference is, it did not earn its name from me, but from people like you.

Hang out with your friends and LEO buddies, and go crying to them when you are accused of some wrongdoing.

Whatever makes you feel like a real person. :)

Thanks for being the perfect example of why your mentality exists. :lol:

Last edited:

Procarryguy

Banned
When you're foolish enough to kick back and think this type of behavior is ok, you really enlighten people to the nature of your being.

We live in the same world indeed. The difference is, it did not earn its name from me, but from people like you.

Hang out with your friends and LEO buddies, and go crying to them when you are accused of some wrongdoing.

Whatever makes you feel like a real person. :)

Thanks for being the perfect example of why your mentality exists. :lol:

"I'm not saying its right, I'm only saying that's the way it is."

You must have missed that part. Reading really is fundamental.

The world is what it is. If you don't like it why don't you leave the safety of your computer screen and do something to make a difference instead of sitting there whining cause it's not the way you want it?

Just a suggestion.

Gunslinger

Good for the Pastor. Justice was done, and doing justice is not always in a straight line, pleasing to all observers. The TN congressman is PAID to represent and help his constituants. He earned his pay and did his job.

RussP

What does this have to do with Open Carry?
Perhaps this is one small step toward normalization of carry laws in DC by involving a Representative very much pro-2nd Amendment who may well engage the DC Mayor in constructive dialogue, setting the example for other Representatives and Senators by standing up for his constituents' Rights.

Kingfish

Perhaps this is one small step toward normalization of carry laws in DC by involving a Representative very much pro-2nd Amendment who may well engage the DC Mayor in constructive dialogue, setting the example for other Representatives and Senators by standing up for his constituents' Rights.

Shouldn't this go in "General Discussions" though?
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules
(8) KEEP IT ON-TOPIC: All gun rights discussions not directly related to open carry should take place in the "General Discussions" forum and topics that are not related to gun rights at all should take place in "The Lounge". Please police your own posts before posting them and help keep OCDO strong and focused.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
It seems that any thread which Kwik starts or which deals with his legal issues immediately leads to an argument. So ... my new procedure is to immediately close any Kwik thread when the first insult is thrown.

Thread closed!

Status
Not open for further replies.