• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What some cops think of open carry and opencarry.org

makarov_9x18

I was reading a officer.com forum just to get there take on laws you know and came across this about a thread someone posted here and man some of the LEO's hate open carry by the citizens they have no duty to protect.

here is a quotes

Open Carry FAIL

Okay, so I know nobody likes the nuts at opencarry.org, but I had to share this hilarious story.

No open carry in Texas and I absolutely friggin love it. You open carry in Tx and aren't a LEO, you go to jail for a felony.

ect.

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?151846-Open-Carry-FAIL

These Leo's need some Education really.

Last edited:

eye95

We know that some LEOs over there hate OC and OCers. Yawn.

We know that some have no problem with OC and properly respect the law where OC is legal. More power to them.

But, let's leave the garbage that is over there over there and not drag it here. If you think that someone has said something off-base over there, go over there and refute it. I just recommend that you do so in an intellectual and respectful way. You will be a guest in their house, and it would not be helpful to feed any stereotype that some over there have for OCers.

BTW, welcome to OCDO.

makarov_9x18

Sorry it just makes me a little hot headed when you say,,, No open carry in Texas and I absolutely friggin love it. You open carry in Tx and aren't a LEO, you go to jail for a felony,,,

When you deal with some of these fine out standing Leo's in real life when OCing and they try to make a case on you plus down right nasty about you Ocing,,

I have been reading these forum for a long time and support you guys,,I didn't know if you guys knew about these forum full of ain't gun leo's

Sorry for the post if I was off base.

sultan62

makarov, I was a little hot under the collar myself after reading some of those posts. Then I remembered-I don't give a damn what they think. They can think whatever they want. Then, when I obey the law, they have two choices:

1. Follow the law, in which case I'm fine.

2. Ignore the law, in which case I will report them to the FBI, local Sheriff, news stations, and then sue them.

They need to remember that they are only one branch of a limited government.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Officer.com is a known quantity. We've known about them for a few years. At one point there was even a cross-forum war with some of our members over there posting hostility, and one or two of their members over here posting hostility.

Lets not open that can of worms again.

Just take their posts over there as an educational experience. And, keep it to our individual selves. No point in getting all hot under the collar unless we seen an LEO who works in a town harassing OCers and he's posting things useful in federal rights violation lawsuit or formal complaint, or something like that.

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
It matter's not what they think.

Here I am in Downtown Seattle with the head legal authority in the State of Washington, Attorney General Robb Mckenna (in the middle). Also note the Seattle PD in the background. This is who matters when it comes down to the facts in court.

IMG_0592.jpg

sultan62

Yeah, I have no intention of going over there to argue with them. I see no potential for a good outcome. Those who are anti, just like regular citizens who are anti, cannot back up their argument no matter how much they try to use the "well-regulated militia" part of the 2A. In all probability, they are of the same mind as anti-OC CCers. They just like being "part of the club".

eye95

...When you deal with some of these fine out standing Leo's in real life when OCing and they try to make a case on you plus down right nasty about you Ocing,,

I have been reading these forum for a long time and support you guys,,I didn't know if you guys knew about these forum full of ain't gun leo's...

If you have a bad dealing with a LEO, please share it. However, broad generalizations, such as the one above are LEO-bashing. Not all LEOs try to make cases against OCers. Not all are nasty about OCing.

Officer.com comes up from time to time here. I would just repeat the advice I gave you in my second post regarding that site.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Frankly, we shouldn't give a damn what some LEO thinks about OC'ing. He works for us... not the other way around.

Now while that is the approach that perhaps we should all take with power hungry LEO's, we also know that in reality (and this is sad), we are expected to acquiesce to their demands. I personally don't like this because as I said, they are our servants, but it is the way it is. Still I do admit that I enjoy seeing such an LEO get his butt in the wringer for overstepping his bounds.

And no, this is NOT LEO bashing.

Dreamer

Here in my corner of NC, most LEOs are vocally and openly PRO-OC. The only LEO interactions I've had were positive, and I've had several tell me they wished MORE people would OC, like they used to in NC...

Remember that on th Internet, it is often the "squeaky wheel" that gets heard. The "smooth-running" members of any given community just go about their business, and so their POV isn't often heard.

Same goes on this forum you speak of. I'm sure there are plenty of LEOs on that forum who are TOTALLY for OC, but just don't participate in these bash-fests, or are afraid to speak out in defense of OC, for fear of being ridiculed or ostracized by their peers...

Here on OCDO, we're lucky to have a lot of free-thinking people--people who believe strongly in their cause and don't give a flying foxtrot what others thing about them. That is an environment of intellectual openness that is essentialy non-existence in the LE world. Free thought is NOT a luxury that LEOs have in their line of work, due to th epolitical nature of many departments.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Here in my corner of NC, most LEOs are vocally and openly PRO-OC. The only LEO interactions I've had were positive, and I've had several tell me they wished MORE people would OC, like they used to in NC...

Remember that on th Internet, it is often the "squeaky wheel" that gets heard. The "smooth-running" members of any given community just go about their business, and so their POV isn't often heard.

Same goes on this forum you speak of. I'm sure there are plenty of LEOs on that forum who are TOTALLY for OC, but just don't participate in these bash-fests, or are afraid to speak out in defense of OC, for fear of being ridiculed or ostracized by their peers...

Here on OCDO, we're lucky to have a lot of free-thinking people--people who believe strongly in their cause and don't give a flying foxtrot what others thing about them. That is an environment of intellectual openness that is essentialy non-existence in the LE world. Free thought is NOT a luxury that LEOs have in their line of work, due to th epolitical nature of many departments.

Like you, I have never had a negative encounter with an LEO while carrying.. open or concealed. All have been above board and a few were even comical. But all were positive. I don't cop an attitude one bit (my above post might give that impression but I don't). I just go about my business and nothing has even come from OC'ing with me.

Re-reading my post makes it look as though I am anti-LEO and that is definitely not the case. I AM anti-government official/servant forgetting for whom they work and riding herd on their bosses (that would be us), however.

Last edited:

eye95

Which LEOs were right about what? The LEOs dealing with this guy were right that he broke the law by carrying on public transportation without a concealed carry license and by carrying as a prohibited person.

So?

The point of the thread was to complain about broad anti-OC statements by LEOs on officer.com.

Not that it matters. If they are not willing to come here and try to justify their positions in the face of the rationality they will find here, I don't care what they say at officer.com. If one does not like what they say there, don't go there.

Dreamer

Which LEOs were right about what? The LEOs dealing with this guy were right that he broke the law by carrying on public transportation without a concealed carry license and by carrying as a prohibited person.

I think he meant the LEO quoted in the OP, which was from TX.

In TX, public OC is illegal, unless you're on your own property. And it is a Felony.

Sort of like Florida with their egregious "printing" laws and OC prohibition. ..

This is particularly funny because all those antis who always say that less restrictive gun laws "up north" will make it "Like the Wild West, or like Texas". ost of them don't even realize that in TX, OC is flatly illegal, and that CC is relatively new there, and ONLY got put in place because of the public outrage after the Luby's massacre an the heart-wrenching testiony and action of Suzanne Huff.

I don't know how many anti's who have thrown that "where do you think you are, Texas?" line at me for OCing I've had to correct by informing them that OC is actually ILLEGAL in TX...

Antis are generally not only scared, brainwashed little sheeple. They are also largely uninformed, unknowledgeable about the law, and for the most part, voluntarily ignorant, and by and large, even when confronted with the FACTS (like showing them the AG's websites from states like TX and FL) they refuse to acknowledge their own stupidity and error...

I generally refuse to interact with anti's in public. The only people I spend my valuable time with are people who are genuinely curious, pro-OC, or are new to firearms but uneducated...

The anti's are a waste of my time--I'd be better off trying to educate a brick wall...