• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My First Public OC Experience

k.rollin

So I lied, this wasn't my first time open carrying publicly, but it was the first time I did so when it was daylight and other people were out and about. Prior to this afternoon, I only OC'd when walking around at night by myself and relied on a blade all other time (no CPL yet).

Anyways, I decided to go for a short walk to the Walgreen's at Meridian and Bakerview in Bellingham to pick up some toiletries and snacks. I had been carrying in my apartment all day, and didn't feel like taking off my holster to go two blocks and putz around the store, so I just went out. I felt a little nervous at first, but it didn't take long to get used to the idea.

I only had one person aside from the cashier (who only asked me if I wanted to buy more candy) talk to me, and that was the girl working at the cosmetics counter. She seemed a little nervous, but only asked me if I needed help finding anything, so it wasn't anything out of the ordinary. The single mother with the excitable son said nothing, and nobody called the police. In short, it was open carry the way it ought to be - completely normal.

:monkey

skiingislife725

:banana: Yah! Awesome. Funny how we get all nervous and then NOTHING happens when we start to OC. Still have yet to have an actual negative encounter. Worst I've got is "Man you're packing! Any particular reason for that?" and "Is that a tazer?!"

jt59

Good on you!

The more often you do, the easier it gets...

We were campin on the east side this weekend...I was upriver, looking at the fish ladder on the Little Nacheeze with a bunch of families running around on the rocks...got talking to one of the Grampaws, with his g-kids...OC'ng the Kimber....He said nothing about it until they got ready to leave and then opened up his fanny pack to display his 1911...."I keep it here so people don't get too excited"... I gave him a pamphlet.

Holey 1

World of daylight

Welcome to the world of daylight. Soon you'll be OC'n like it was second nature.
Keep up the good work.

White_russian5

I carry in that store all the time and have never had any problems. The only time I have ever had a problem was at the mall and the rent-a-cops very rudely asked my date and I to leave the property, but I know for a fact you can carry at sears and I've never had any problems at target or any other stores you can access from the outside. Don't be afraid to OC around whatcom county it's a pretty cool place.

Jayd1981

99.9% of the time your OC sidearm will be a non-issue. But don't let your guard down. You may encounter an ingnorant or anti-gun police officer (or police chief in my case). Make sure you got your recorder and are prepared to stand up for your rights. Its indimidating to be surrounded by cops questioning you about your sidearm, but it is entirely possible to come out on top in the end, just keep your cool and be prepared.

k.rollin

I've already had to deal with ignorant LEOs once before, and I made my share of mistakes. I've learned from them, and feel that I am better prepared then I was last year when it happened. I don't have a recorder at the moment (it's on the list of things to get), but I have prior experience that should help me through in that event if and when it comes.

Wolfebane

Welcome to the club I was nervous at first when I first started to OC so I CC'd for a few days just to get used to it (my logic was to CC in crowded places like WalMart and the like).

Since you're from Bellingham you should check out this thread I made for our somewhat general area: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?79582-The-North-of-Everett-OC-Report

On a side note: I've read all the RCW's and the like that I can get my hands on and that I understand to be relevant, but I'm still wondering: Is it legal to OC into a Post Office?"

I just need to buy one stamp and mail a letter and I don't want to have to worry about some obscure RCW or Federal Law.

-Wolfebane

skiingislife725

Search and try to find the previous discussions on it. But from what I read, it's supposedly illegal because it's in a federal building...but then there is one code that says it might not be. Sounds like it needs a legal guinea pig to clear up the issue. I'd just leave it in the car off of the post office property or CC it (if you want to be the guinea pig).

Here's a good blurb on the matter: http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/Concealed-carry-in-a-post-office-may-lead-to-rude-awakening

Last edited:

jt59

On a side note: I've read all the RCW's and the like that I can get my hands on and that I understand to be relevant, but I'm still wondering: Is it legal to OC into a Post Office?"

I just need to buy one stamp and mail a letter and I don't want to have to worry about some obscure RCW or Federal Law.

-Wolfebane[/QUOTE]

Try this:

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/18/I/44/930

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

-Wolfebane

Try this:

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/18/I/44/930[/QUOTE]

Right on K.Rollin, we need to have another meet, maybe hike when I get back.

As far as post office go to independent mail rooms, I never have had any trouble with the ones in town.

Metalhead47

-Wolfebane

Try this:

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/18/I/44/930[/QUOTE]

PO is kind of a gray area. Supposedly it's legal to carry there for "other lawful purposes," or if there are no signs posted, but no one seems to want to be the test case.1093.gif