• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A Day at Pike's Place Market

Bobarino

OC'ed today at Pikes Place. My Girlfriend wanted to go there to get some tea for her friend in AZ. We browsed the market for about an out and we ended up getting some "Knock Out" tea for me to hopefully help this insomniac sleep and some tea for her friend. Got some clams and shrimp from the fish thrower guys and make some Linguine with roasted red pepper Alfredo sauce. It was awesome.

We noticed a few hushed comments and a few people pointing and wisking themselves out of out way but not a word was said. We stopped at the Safeway that Deros frequents on the way home and I made a Donation for MS that were raising funds for. The cashier even announced it over the loudspeaker. I figure any good PR the OC crowd can get the better.

So that was it. No cop calls, no encounters, very few even noticed. I've been pretty leery of OC'ing in big public place before today. Seems to be no big deal for anyone. I'll keep up the good fight :)

Bobby

Last edited:

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
Boycott Seattle/Buycott Arizona

I'm on an economic boycott of Seattle. Since the Seattle Silly Council took themselves seriously enough to boycott Arizona I decided to boycott the downtown area. I no longer spend any money within the city limits.

sudden valley gunner

Last time I was there all the liberals I could see were too stoned to notice.

Let them get stoned. There's no constitutional basis for the illegality of that substance and I never have felt threatened by a stoner like I have by a drunk.

I been to Pike Place several times with no problems, glad the same went for you Bobarino.

Mainsail

This is from last year or the year before, at Pike Place Market buying some fish.

56e17073-8db4-4c0e-8ede-442ccd938f62.jpg

DoomGoober

Glad your encounter at Pike Place went well. I would expect some liberals to mouth off at me down there.

Is liberal a short hand for something? I consider myself a liberal, yet I Open Carry.

Jonathan Haidt proposes that the Liberal/Conservative divide actually splits among the valuations of morality that each group follows. Liberals concern themselves with no harm and fairness while conservatives care about no harm, fairness, in group loyalty, authority, and purity all equally. From this lens, liberals could just as easily be pro-open carry as not. Liberals, like myself, who care more about fairness are pro-open carry and pro-gun ownership -- that is, it is only fair if the Second Amendment is equally applied to all. Liberals who are concerned with "no harm" could also argue that open carry reduces the possibility of harm to everyone (though some liberals would argue that disallowing private gun ownership will reduce harm.) Either way, the argument is not one of liberals vs. conservatives, but rather, one of which has better utility of reducing harm -- allowing carry or not.

It could be more arguable that the issue is one of Democrat vs. Republican but this is specious as well as there are many pro-gun or at least moderate pro-gun democrats.

Why not just say, "Pro-gun" or "Anti-gun" and avoid all the problems, generalizations and assumptions about the political association and gun beliefs?

amlevin

Is liberal a short hand for something? I consider myself a liberal, yet I Open Carry.

Jonathan Haidt proposes that the Liberal/Conservative divide actually splits among the valuations of morality that each group follows. Liberals concern themselves with no harm and fairness while conservatives care about no harm, fairness, in group loyalty, authority, and purity all equally. From this lens, liberals could just as easily be pro-open carry as not. Liberals, like myself, who care more about fairness are pro-open carry and pro-gun ownership -- that is, it is only fair if the Second Amendment is equally applied to all. Liberals who are concerned with "no harm" could also argue that open carry reduces the possibility of harm to everyone (though some liberals would argue that disallowing private gun ownership will reduce harm.) Either way, the argument is not one of liberals vs. conservatives, but rather, one of which has better utility of reducing harm -- allowing carry or not.

It could be more arguable that the issue is one of Democrat vs. Republican but this is specious as well as there are many pro-gun or at least moderate pro-gun democrats.

Why not just say, "Pro-gun" or "Anti-gun" and avoid all the problems, generalizations and assumptions about the political association and gun beliefs?

Unfortunately, the term Liberal as it is used today refers more to a party's penchant for spending or giving things away. Like Liberal-ly spending our money, Liberal-ly raising our taxes, Liberal-ly spreading the wealth around, Liberal-ly taking from those who work and Liberal-ly giving it to those who sit on their @$$es.

Yes, it has become a generalized term, unfortunately.

grishnav

Indeed. All the blind liberal-hating is one of the reasons I don't spend a lot of time here anymore. As if the conservatives don't tax us to death, spend all our money, and "spread" the wealth around to the richest of the population.

Metalhead47

Here we go again. :rolleyes:

grishnav, Doomgoober, whether y'all like it or not the term "liberal" in its current usage has come to mean those who support left-of-center statism. Doesn't matter what the ORIGINAL meaning might have been, that's simply how it's recognized today. And those who self-identify as "liberal" or are deemed so by others, who actually support 2A rights, are in the EXTREME MINORITY. We're talking single-digit percentage here. A liberal who supports OC is like a rabbi who's a part-time pork distributor. Ya don't have to like it, but that's just the way it is.

And I would argue that when conservatives start taxing and spending, they are NOT acting like conservatives but are, in fact, behaving like liberals :p

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Here we go again. :rolleyes:

grishnav, Doomgoober, whether y'all like it or not the term "liberal" in its current usage has come to mean those who support left-of-center statism. Doesn't matter what the ORIGINAL meaning might have been, that's simply how it's recognized today. And those who self-identify as "liberal" or are deemed so by others, who actually support 2A rights, are in the EXTREME MINORITY. We're talking single-digit percentage here. A liberal who supports OC is like a rabbi who's a part-time pork distributor. Ya don't have to like it, but that's just the way it is.

This is false.

Nearly all the decline in support for stricter gun laws is from people who don't identify themselves as Democrats. Six in 10 Democrats still support stricter gun laws, but support has dropped 13 points among Republicans and 17 points among independents. Half of all independents supported stricter gun laws in 2007; now only a third of them do.

Though not all Democrats are liberals, and not all liberals are democrats, there's enough of a collected figure between the two to see that 40 percent of identified Democrats are not in support of stricter gun control. 20 years ago, that would have been south of ten percent.

Source:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/04/08/gun.control.poll/

A gentle reminder of the forum rules:

5) CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.

I add that though you made a statement of law, it's still a good idea to cite your sources.

(6) NO PERSONAL ATTACKS: While you may disagree strongly with another poster based upon their opinion, we will NOT tolerate any personal attacks or general bashing of groups of people based upon race, religion, sex, or choice of occupation (e.g., being a law enforcement officer, in the military, etc). NOTE THAT THIS RULE APPLIES TO PMs AS WELL AS FORUM POSTS!!!

Attacking liberals as being liberal (As opposed to being anti-gun) doesn't seem much different than the other protected choices above. There are conservative anti-gunners as well as liberal anti-gunners. There are liberal pro-gunners that was a small movement 2 decades ago but has been growing exponentially in the last 15 years and now standing at 40 percent. Most conservatives are pro-gun, but not all of them.

Not to mention, it pushes people away for no good reason. We need all of the allies that we can get in this fight.

(9) HATE IS NOT WELCOME HERE: Any posts attacking others based upon race, religions, national origin, sexual orientation, or anything other than opposition to gun rights is NOT WELCOME HERE! We reserve the right to impose immediate bans for such behavior.

John's rules are very clear here: Attacking people for anything other than opposition to gun rights is not welcome here.

EODGUY

Pike Place Market

I OC'd today in Pike Place Market. Had my 1911 on my hip as the family and I browsed for about an hour and checked out the gum wall. No issues or noticeable disgust.

acmariner99

I usually don't OC in Seattle city limits - on the rare occasion I actually go into the city. (I avoid it if I can and when I do go, it is usually for a ball game). I know other people have done it without issue and I think that is great! OC in Seattle is one of the only things that makes me a little skittish. Funny, I have OCed in the State Capitol no problem, but won't OC in Seattle :)

Last edited: