Thread: Looking for someone in NoVA that does DuraCote...

Question Looking for someone in NoVA that does DuraCote...

...without charging an arm or a leg. I am just courious about the process and the materials required, and if it would make my toys look better/last longer.

Anyone have DuraCote on their firearms? How's it look? Did you do it yourself? if so, was it a PITA or someone you'd suggest I try?
    I sell ObamaBlades: Single-edged razors you can use to either remove the bumper sticker off your car, or slash your wrists..whichever works best for you.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Why not DIY.
    It's not difficult!

Here's a good discussion:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=duracoat
    Last edited by peter nap; 08-23-2010 at 08:14 AM.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by vt800c View Post
    ...without charging an arm or a leg. I am just courious about the process and the materials required, and if it would make my toys look better/last longer.

Anyone have DuraCote on their firearms? How's it look? Did you do it yourself? if so, was it a PITA or someone you'd suggest I try?
    Hatfields Gunsmiffin' in Manassas http://www.hatfieldsgunsmithing.com/

There are a few guys on Vaguntrader.com that do it. Look in the accessories forum.

DuraCoat can be a VERY tough finish, but you have to do it right, and cure it properly to get the toughness if you're going to DIY.

If you're going to air-cure it at room temp, it takes almost 30 days before it's fully cured. You can heat-cure it, and that takes a few hours, and then another few days air-curing to make it right.

Anyone who says they can DuraCoat a gun in less than a week is either blowing smoke or probably won't guarantee the finish. It's just the nature of the beast.

When properly cured, Duracoat is about the most durable finish out there. But it takes some time to do correctly...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    DuraCoat can be a VERY tough finish, but you have to do it right, and cure it properly to get the toughness if you're going to DIY.

If you're going to air-cure it at room temp, it takes almost 30 days before it's fully cured. You can heat-cure it, and that takes a few hours, and then another few days air-curing to make it right.

Anyone who says they can DuraCoat a gun in less than a week is either blowing smoke or probably won't guarantee the finish. It's just the nature of the beast.

When properly cured, Duracoat is about the most durable finish out there. But it takes some time to do correctly...
    I don't think I'd want to air cure, although it's supposed to work. I used my heat treat oven but I expect you could use a conventional oven as long as it came up to temperature and was stable.