Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37

Thread: Ok you Glock guys win....

  1. #1
    Regular Member 25sierraman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Alexandria , Virginia, USA
    Posts
    144

    Ok you Glock guys win....

    Usually I'm a die hard Sig fan but lately my wallet just isn't up to the challenge. This guy comes along selling a barely touched Glock 22 3rd gen in excellent shape. There's not a single blemish on the slide or anything so about 340 dollars later i have a nice new (to me) Glock 22 in my hands. I think my Sigs are jealous and probably my XDM as well but i can't put this thing down. The grip angle is still something I'm getting used to but I think somethings wrong with me. The blocky "old" Glock is really attractive to me all of a sudden. It's so much easier to clean than my XDM with all of its little annoying crevices and what not. Much like my Sigs all i have to do with this one is just take the slide off of the frame and wipe it down. No swabs or anything required really. Now as much as I hate to admit id im looking at possibly getting a 10mm from Glock..... is something wrong with me? am i a Sig Traitor? haha
    HOOAH?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    514
    My cousin had a Glock 10mm with a ported barrel and slide... one of the best shooting guns I've ever fired.

    ... and I don't like Glocks.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Puyallup< WA
    Posts
    285
    That's funny, I just bought a glock on Saturday and it may replace my xd. I'll second the glock in 10mm accuracy. My good friend has had on for a few years and I'm really amazed at how accurate it is. It's actually the most accurate stock pistol I've shot. Plus, who doesn't like firing off a few hundred hot 10mm rounds? It's a blast, pun intended.

  4. #4
    Regular Member rotty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis Minnesota
    Posts
    217
    LOVE my 22c .. by far my favorite firearm to shoot.

    Currently selling my XD.45 so I can get a G17.
    - Knowledge is power and there IS strength in numbers -

    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    - Thomas Jefferson

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by irish52084 View Post
    That's funny, I just bought a glock on Saturday and it may replace my xd. I'll second the glock in 10mm accuracy. My good friend has had on for a few years and I'm really amazed at how accurate it is. It's actually the most accurate stock pistol I've shot. Plus, who doesn't like firing off a few hundred hot 10mm rounds? It's a blast, pun intended.
    Just curious, is 10mm ammunition at all common? And generally how much is the cost?

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    514
    Define common... around here it is about the same as .45ACP, a tad harder to find, a tad more expensive... but comparable.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Puyallup< WA
    Posts
    285
    I went to 3 local shops Saturday, and all had 10mm ammo for$20-$30. However I never did find any 357Sig fmj. 10mm pricing is about inline with 45acp right now.

  8. #8
    Regular Member 25sierraman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Alexandria , Virginia, USA
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by irish52084 View Post
    I went to 3 local shops Saturday, and all had 10mm ammo for$20-$30. However I never did find any 357Sig fmj. 10mm pricing is about inline with 45acp right now.

    you're not making it any easier for me to resist the 10mm temptation....
    HOOAH?

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Puyallup< WA
    Posts
    285
    give in to the dark side and buy a an evil black tupperware gun in 10mm. It's way too much fun on this side with a 10mm. What's not to like? Awesome ballistics, loud bang, big flash and lots of fun. Everyone has a 45, 9mm or 40, get a 10mm and be different, plus chicks dig the 10mm.

  10. #10
    Regular Member 25sierraman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Alexandria , Virginia, USA
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by irish52084 View Post
    give in to the dark side and buy a an evil black tupperware gun in 10mm. It's way too much fun on this side with a 10mm. What's not to like? Awesome ballistics, loud bang, big flash and lots of fun. Everyone has a 45, 9mm or 40, get a 10mm and be different, plus chicks dig the 10mm.
    lol well i guess as long as the chicks dig it.....
    HOOAH?

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Puyallup< WA
    Posts
    285
    Kinda funny, my girlfriend doesn't like to shoot my xd sub compact in 40, but she'll shoot the glock 20 10mm and not a bit op problem with the recoil. What's with that? lol. Maybe a bit of small gun = small recoil and big gun = big recoil?
    I have to admit the 10mm glock with 16 round mags is a formidable carry weapon. The 10mm is a great round in my opinion and seems to be gaining popularity again. I'm glad it's gaining traction, it requires a 45acp sized gun, but usually gives more capacity and I think it's far more versatile than 45acp. No real facts to back that up, just general assumption.

  12. #12
    Regular Member 25sierraman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Alexandria , Virginia, USA
    Posts
    144
    I just got back from the range! and ******* i suck with this weapon. I need more practice. This grip angle is killing me. I'm used to my XDM or my Sigs and this is quite different in the hands. It's still pleasant to shoot i just need more practice.
    HOOAH?

  13. #13
    Regular Member t33j's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    King George, VA
    Posts
    1,384
    Quote Originally Posted by 25sierraman View Post
    I just got back from the range! and ******* i suck with this weapon. I need more practice. This grip angle is killing me. I'm used to my XDM or my Sigs and this is quite different in the hands. It's still pleasant to shoot i just need more practice.
    Used to own a Glock... I sold it only because of the grip angle. I want no part of that.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

  14. #14
    Activist Member swinokur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Montgomery County, MD
    Posts
    984
    Quote Originally Posted by irish52084 View Post
    Kinda funny, my girlfriend doesn't like to shoot my xd sub compact in 40, but she'll shoot the glock 20 10mm and not a bit op problem with the recoil. What's with that? lol. Maybe a bit of small gun = small recoil and big gun = big recoil?
    I have to admit the 10mm glock with 16 round mags is a formidable carry weapon. The 10mm is a great round in my opinion and seems to be gaining popularity again. I'm glad it's gaining traction, it requires a 45acp sized gun, but usually gives more capacity and I think it's far more versatile than 45acp. No real facts to back that up, just general assumption.
    no matter what they say, size still matters;

  15. #15
    Regular Member VAopencarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The 'Dena, Mаяуlaпd
    Posts
    2,147
    Quote Originally Posted by 25sierraman View Post
    I just got back from the range! and ******* i suck with this weapon. I need more practice. This grip angle is killing me. I'm used to my XDM or my Sigs and this is quite different in the hands. It's still pleasant to shoot i just need more practice.

    Why fight with the gun? Stick with what works for you.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

  16. #16
    Regular Member 45acpForMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Yorktown, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,803
    Quote Originally Posted by 25sierraman View Post
    Usually I'm a die hard Sig fan but lately my wallet just isn't up to the challenge. This guy comes along selling a barely touched Glock 22 3rd gen in excellent shape. <snip>
    My first handgun was a Sig P220 Carry. I have since added other Sigs to my collection. As good as the Sig is I was always curious as to other models/manufacturers. I bought some 1911's, H&K and FNP-45 and like them all but when you start with something as good as a Sig you can find faults with the others.

    I kind of think about it as if you started dating a Victoria Secret model, then started wondering how life would be with a girl next door. You may stray but I think your love and appreciation of your Sig will never leave. :-)

    In my case I was in search for the perfect gun but started out with one of the best so I wasn't overly impressed by others. With that said, I love my H&K USP, like my FNP-45 (waiting for a SERPA holster to be available) and like my 1911's (Para Big Hawg & others).

    As far as the 10mm, either you want it or you don't. I prefer to standardize on 45acp but will never say never. :-) I think if I were drooling over a high speed over-penetrating round, I would prefer the 50S&W.
    Last edited by 45acpForMe; 08-24-2010 at 08:47 PM.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Puyallup< WA
    Posts
    285
    It's good to expand your knowledge base. If the grip angle gives you fits after a concerted effort, then move on to something you're more comfortable with. Maybe a Colt delta elite 10mm? lol

    One of the great things about the 10mm is flexibility, if you're worried about over penetration, you go to a 135 grain double tap load at 1600 fps. If you want tons of penetration you can use a 200 grain at 1250fps or even a 230 grain at 1140.

  18. #18
    Regular Member simmonsjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mattaponi, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    1,664
    The problem has more to do with the really high grip, and low trigger. Instead of pulling back on a Glock trigger, your pulling UP and back. When you start pulling the mushy trigger, you encounter resistance @ the plunger, then at the connector, THEN you have to pull some distance to get the crucifix to release the firing pin.

    The biggest problem is when you reach the connector. You should practice taking all the slack out of the trigger, then pause slightly to readjust your sightpicture, then squeeze for your first shot. For all follow-up shots, only let the trigger forward enough to reset, but to not allow for any take-up.

    Honestly the Glock trigger, in it's stock form is really tough to deal with. Try a 3.5# connector. It's a drop-in part and helps a bunch. You can also remove the take-up, but that requires decent knowledge of how the firearm works.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

  19. #19
    Regular Member 25sierraman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Alexandria , Virginia, USA
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by 45acpForMe View Post
    My first handgun was a Sig P220 Carry. I have since added other Sigs to my collection. As good as the Sig is I was always curious as to other models/manufacturers. I bought some 1911's, H&K and FNP-45 and like them all but when you start with something as good as a Sig you can find faults with the others.

    I kind of think about it as if you started dating a Victoria Secret model, then started wondering how life would be with a girl next door. You may stray but I think your love and appreciation of your Sig will never leave. :-)

    In my case I was in search for the perfect gun but started out with one of the best so I wasn't overly impressed by others. With that said, I love my H&K USP, like my FNP-45 (waiting for a SERPA holster to be available) and like my 1911's (Para Big Hawg & others).

    As far as the 10mm, either you want it or you don't. I prefer to standardize on 45acp but will never say never. :-) I think if I were drooling over a high speed over-penetrating round, I would prefer the 50S&W.
    Haha i got a good laugh out of your victoria's secret model analogy. I think I'll use that when I explain the greatness of Sig to the guys in my platoon from now on. I really don't think I'll ever leave Sig behind. The Glock is just testing new waters for me and I've been pleasantly surprised so far. I think 45acpforme really hit it on the head here. I've just been picking apart Glock based on my experience with Sig. I'm not trying to start an argument here it's just my personal preference. I'll keep on shooting this Glock and see if i can get comfortable with it and if not, well i got an awesome deal with it so i can always just resell it. I really appreciate the input though guys.
    HOOAH?

  20. #20
    Regular Member simmonsjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mattaponi, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    1,664
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbitone View Post
    I don't understand this. Maybe its just me. Maybe its because I honestly don't target shoot often, more drilling for self defense type situations where it might not be so much aiming and more reflex shooting. I've never noticed any issues with the Glock trigger system. Granted it seemed foreign at first just due to moving components but as far as positioning and the pull itself, it has seemed the most natural of anything I've shot.
    I don't target shoot. I shoot mostly IDPA and some USPSA.

    everyone is different. People who learn to shoot with the Glock tend to have a much different reaction than those who transfer to it. Notice the OP is switching from a SIG. Switching from a DA or SA pistol to a Glock can be a challenge for many people. Not only the long pull AFTER takeup, but If you look at a SIG, it has a lower beavertail. This means your trigger finger is parallel to the barrel. The Glock's high grip causes the finger to be at a significant downward angle. Everyone's hands are different and everyone's experiences vary, of course.

    Just because you shoot a stock Glock well, doesn't change the fact it has a horrible trigger feel. It's the geometry of the crucifix/disconnect/firing pin. The benefit is an extremely simple, low parts, easy to work on lightweight reliable pistol.

    I carry a G19 and love it. I switched from a 1911.
    Last edited by simmonsjoe; 08-27-2010 at 02:29 AM.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

  21. #21
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849
    Quote Originally Posted by simmonsjoe View Post
    I don't target shoot. I shoot mostly IDPA and some USPSA.

    everyone is different. People who learn to shoot with the Glock tend to have a much different reaction than those who transfer to it. Notice the OP is switching from a SIG. Switching from a DA or SA pistol to a Glock can be a challenge for many people. Not only the long pull AFTER takeup, but If you look at a SIG, it has a lower beavertail. This means your trigger finger is parallel to the barrel. The Glock's high grip causes the finger to be at a significant downward angle. Everyone's hands are different and everyone's experiences vary, of course.

    Just because you shoot a stock Glock well, doesn't change the fact it has a horrible trigger feel. It's the geometry of the crucifix/disconnect/firing pin. The benefit is an extremely simple, low parts, easy to work on lightweight reliable pistol.

    I carry a G19 and love it. I switched from a 1911.
    Glock triggers can be improved upon dramatically but as all things mechanical, care should always be taken when doing this. For a very light trigger, go for a quality 3.5# connector, a six pound trigger spring, and a 4# striker spring. This setup should NOT be deployed for a carry gun, but rather reserved for range and competition use.

    However, if you make one change to the above, as in staying with the OEM striker spring, you will still have a decent Glock trigger that is good for carry use. Throw in the 25 cent trigger job (which is cleaning and polishing), and you're good to go.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  22. #22
    Regular Member simmonsjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mattaponi, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    1,664
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    Glock triggers can be improved upon dramatically but as all things mechanical, care should always be taken when doing this. For a very light trigger, go for a quality 3.5# connector, a six pound trigger spring, and a 4# striker spring. This setup should NOT be deployed for a carry gun, but rather reserved for range and competition use.

    However, if you make one change to the above, as in staying with the OEM striker spring, you will still have a decent Glock trigger that is good for carry use. Throw in the 25 cent trigger job (which is cleaning and polishing), and you're good to go.
    You can use a reduced power plunger spring for carry as well.

    You can get this all in a kit from Ghost for less than $30 bucks.
    Last edited by simmonsjoe; 08-27-2010 at 02:00 PM.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

  23. #23
    Regular Member 25sierraman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Alexandria , Virginia, USA
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by simmonsjoe View Post
    You can use a reduced power plunger spring for carry as well.

    You can get this all in a kit from Ghost for less than $30 bucks.
    I looked on that site and now I'm really considering a kit from them once the army gives me my bi weekly bag of beans and some pocket lint. How would that look in court though if my Glock was used in Self defense? Would that be something that they could use against me? I remember reading a few articles warning against lightening trigger pulls on carry weapons. I guess if i stuck with their "patrol" package i could always use the argument that it is used by a major law enforcement agency.
    HOOAH?

  24. #24
    Regular Member simmonsjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mattaponi, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    1,664
    Quote Originally Posted by 25sierraman View Post
    I looked on that site and now I'm really considering a kit from them once the army gives me my bi weekly bag of beans and some pocket lint. How would that look in court though if my Glock was used in Self defense? Would that be something that they could use against me? I remember reading a few articles warning against lightening trigger pulls on carry weapons. I guess if i stuck with their "patrol" package i could always use the argument that it is used by a major law enforcement agency.
    Read on Ghost website about the trigger weight issue.

    Know that even after modifying your Glock, it's trigger is no where NEAR what many 1911's or some DA's are out of the box. I believe this fear to be a non-issue. My carry glock uses the Ultimate 3.5 kit w/ stock striker spring, and all but 1mm of takeup has been removed, and the trigger safety has been re-profiled to continue functioning.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Riverside County, California, USA
    Posts
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by 25sierraman View Post
    Usually I'm a die hard Sig fan but lately my wallet just isn't up to the challenge. This guy comes along selling a barely touched Glock 22 3rd gen in excellent shape. There's not a single blemish on the slide or anything so about 340 dollars later i have a nice new (to me) Glock 22 in my hands. I think my Sigs are jealous and probably my XDM as well but i can't put this thing down. The grip angle is still something I'm getting used to but I think somethings wrong with me. The blocky "old" Glock is really attractive to me all of a sudden. It's so much easier to clean than my XDM with all of its little annoying crevices and what not. Much like my Sigs all i have to do with this one is just take the slide off of the frame and wipe it down. No swabs or anything required really. Now as much as I hate to admit id im looking at possibly getting a 10mm from Glock..... is something wrong with me? am i a Sig Traitor? haha
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To me, guns only have one type of beauty, and that is function. So to me the beauty of a Glock isn't if it looks like the same gun your grandpa had, it is if it functions well for you. I like 45 but Glocks in 45 have too long of a trigger reach. So, not so pretty to me. But I see them do things of beauty in the hands of others all the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •