• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My gun proves itself worthy

Should I have shot him as soon as he entered my door(remember I have roommates)?

• Total voters

okboomer

Your girlfriend needs to have locked herself in somewhere after she calls 911.

Girlfriend doesn't get a gun, too? Aw, heck, can't she at least hold the high-powered flash light to blind the BG and light up the target?

Evidently a troll posted the first scenario ... I guess we are lucky he didn't come back to argue the point :D

Ruby

Girlfriend doesn't get a gun, too? Aw, heck, can't she at least hold the high-powered flash light to blind the BG and light up the target?

Evidently a troll posted the first scenario ... I guess we are lucky he didn't come back to argue the point :D

If this were a real scenario, I would want my loved one(s) in the safe room so I don't have to worry about them while I am dealing with the intruder. I would not want a family member wandering around the house; could accidentally shoot the wrong person.

Murray State Ag

Sorry to all the haters. Maybe you shouldn't be so impatent. I've been out of town and busy. To answer a few questions.

My girlfriend and a gun?
She wants a gun and get all excited about looking at them and learning how mine works, but when it comes to actually going to buy one she is very scared and makes up a bunch of excuses why she doesn't need it and it's not money cause I'm gonna pay for it. I can't figure out how to get her into it. She said she wants to keep one in her purse but not OC.

Why didn't call 911.
Honestly something that just didn't become a thought. All I could think was grab my gun. My girlfriend and I have talked about it and that is aomethig we need to work on with our plan.

Speculation on how did he get all the way to my kitchen door.
My kitchen door is not ten feet from my front door. He entered I shoved him. He wound up on the ground in the direction he was running.

Why did he hit my roommate and come to my house.
Just by chance. It's not uncommon for drunks to walk on the street past my house because I live right inbetween the bar and 4 apartment complexes filled with students.

I wasn't bullshitting and refusing to answer. Simply just busy with school starting and out of town.

Beerme

Banned
to everyone who voted yes.
You are all ******* idiots.
He has roommates
they were out drinking
why would you shoot someone you have yet to id, it could be the roommates messing with him while they are drunk.

OP
You did perfect good job.

DCKilla

I would have dropped that guy like sack of potatos as soon as he got through the door. I don't have the luxury of letting him proceed into my house with 3 kids under the age of 4 years of age and a scared wife calling 911. There is no room for a bad guy to stand in my house.

confedneck

Right and wrong

Right, you and the gf are still alive.

Wrong, you should have barked orders at him, loud enough for anyone to hear outside, no excuses, and you should have been ready to drop the hammer on his sorry tail the second he made that door open. You don't know what he's capable of, and you could have saved the lives of many people by putting that scum down.

Glad you made it ok, but ALWAYS call the law, even if you know they won't make it in time, which they won't, there is a recorded record that you tried to avoid the use of deadly force, and that you asked for help from the locals and didn't get it in time. CYA, or C-ya in jail.

.45acp

He has roommates
they were out drinking
why would you shoot someone you have yet to id, it could be the roommates messing with him while they are drunk.

OP

No, you would not shoot under any circumstances if you cannot identify the target.

Perfect...not hardly.....

Kirbinator

A broken door.

Perhaps hurt pride.

Everyone made it out safely, no body-bags needed.

Regardless of the martial art used, it was a good outcome.

What separates us from savages is that we believe human life has value.

confedneck

anyone who is holding a handgun, and decides on hand to man combat is putting him/herself in more danger than they were while the perpetrator was in their house and they were hiding :banghead: that baddie gets the gun and you're dead for sure

frommycolddeadhands

He has roommates
they were out drinking

OP

Shooting THROUGH the door would have been bad. Once the BG busted through the door it only takes a second at most to identify him as someone who does NOT belong in the house.

If the OP would have shouted a challenge at the window and again at the door it would have given any 'drunk roomies' the chance to ID themselves.

Glad everything turned out ok for the OP, but this was a FAR CRY from a perfect encounter.

OldCurlyWolf

This goes to show you never know when something will happen.

Living in a house off campus of Murray State University

Friday night my girlfriend and I went to a rodeo event got a blizzard and came home to watch a movie. While we went out, my roommates met up at the bars with their buddies for a regular night of safe and fun drinking. Went to bed after the movie around 11:30.

I am awaken at 2:30 AM to very loud banging on my window as if someone is trying to break it. I reach only a foot away from my head and grad my new Springfield XD .40 and assume the position that someone is coming through the window(I cannot see outside due to a closed blind and condensation. Seconds later the banging stops, followed by the sound of someone kicking the front door. I leave my bedroom and position myself behind the front door to have a position when he enters.

Almost immediately the door is kicked in and I am prepared to defend my life and that of my girlfriend. A man charges through the door and starts running into my kitchen. I run behind him and push him as hard as i can into the wall by the kitchen door. He hits hard, turns around, and runs out the front door as soon as he sees i have my gun drawn on him.

The man never returned. It was later found out that before he came to my house he had knocked out two innocent guys at the bar from behind(including one of my roommates) and was eventually picked up at the hospital with a broken hand.
When he came into my house I had my adrenaline flowing but my body was still not awake for a fight if it was to come about. If i did not have my firearm with me while I was sleeping something very bad could have happened considering the man was twice my size and under the influence of some substance.

I am proud my gun did its job even if it wasn't fired. This is why i believe law abiding citizens should be allowed to carry their guns on campus.

Faith, Freedom, and Firearms is the life I choose to live.

Actually you just got lucky. You were not prepared to do what was necessary. If he had been armed we might be reading your obituary.

I am probably nearly 40 years older that you are and under those circumstances my whole body and mind would have been ready to act. I can only surmise that you had imbibed somewhat too much in some adult beverages that evening.

All in all this should be posted as a warning, not something to brag about.

OldCurlyWolf

Wastelander

Glad it worked out okay. As for your poll, I don't know the laws in KY--are you allowed to shoot someone for breaking into your home if they haven't displayed a credible threat to you? I know that most people like to respond with "he would've been dead as soon as he stepped foot in my home" but that really is horrible legal advise in some states. If it is legal in your state to shoot and kill someone because they break into your home, then yes, you should have shot him as soon as he did so. If your state has one of those "if you have legitimate fear for your safety" laws then just make sure you have a phone number for a lawyer so you can shoot a BG when they break in and have some legal help ready right away. You may also want to work on your voice commands, because it seems like you just stood there silently while he broke down the door. A firm, strong command could have sent the BG running before he had the chance to hurt your door, and may save you from having to kill someone in the future. Also, reinforce your doorjamb so it can't be kicked in so easily

Obviously you haven't been there.

Quit giving advise that will get someone killed.

COMMANDER1911

Glad it worked out okay. As for your poll, I don't know the laws in KY--are you allowed to shoot someone for breaking into your home if they haven't displayed a credible threat to you? I know that most people like to respond with "he would've been dead as soon as he stepped foot in my home" but that really is horrible legal advise in some states. If it is legal in your state to shoot and kill someone because they break into your home, then yes, you should have shot him as soon as he did so. If your state has one of those "if you have legitimate fear for your safety" laws then just make sure you have a phone number for a lawyer so you can shoot a BG when they break in and have some legal help ready right away. You may also want to work on your voice commands, because it seems like you just stood there silently while he broke down the door. A firm, strong command could have sent the BG running before he had the chance to hurt your door, and may save you from having to kill someone in the future. Also, reinforce your doorjamb so it can't be kicked in so easily

Yeah because calling a lawyer directly after you shoot doesn't make you look guilty of an unjustified shooting at all.:uhoh:

eye95

Yeah because calling a lawyer directly after you shoot doesn't make you look guilty of an unjustified shooting at all.:uhoh:

I hope you're not implying it does. If I have to, God forbid, shoot a BG, my first call will be to 911, my second to my lawyer.

The call to 911 will be scant on details: "There's a man injured at [address]. Send the police and an ambulance right away. Click." My lawyer will advise me what to say next.

COMMANDER1911

If you are in the right, why feel the need to get a lawyer immediately? If you didnt commit a crime, then you certainly aren't going to incriminate yourself...Maybe I'm wrong. Oh well

eye95

I guess you haven't seen the video that gets posted here from time to time, but it illustrates how you should say as little as possible to the police, even if you are innocent, until you have the advice of a lawyer.

We had a guy posting on here a while ago who thought he was justified in killing his uncle who was attacking him with deadly force. I don't know if he's started his prison term yet, but he is going to jail for the shooting. Possibly speaking with a lawyer before he spoke to the cops might've changed that outcome.

Anyway, here's the video:

[video=youtube;6wXkI4t7nuc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc[/video]