Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What an idiot!

What an idiot!

I'm sorry, but this guy just pulls out all the stops - he didn't just "earn" the label, he went looking for it.

More:

Please pass this on to your friends! "The gun lobby is not invincible, but it has won a disproportionate share of its battles." Ok, that's just stupid, as our Second Amendment rights were never thus proportioned in the first place. This HUA "news" person would have you believe climate change information based on VERY errant 2A (that's "Second Amendment" for the newbies) misinformation. Since WHEN do gun laws have ANYTHING to do with climate change? If you agree, please pass this on, along with "Get a grip on reality, Walker, and if you can't just freakin' grow up and start telling the truth, then get a different line of work aside from fact-based journalism."

- Source
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Every time someone says "retard" I think of this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8ftMh4MKKw

Quote Originally Posted by gsx1138 View Post
    Every time someone says "retard" I think of this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8ftMh4MKKw
    You do know that word is insulting to those that have handicapped loved ones... right?

Banned
    He was responding to the original title of the thread which has since been changed.

I think this whole thread should be deleted, or at least locked.

If someone wants to discuss the original article, let him start a new thread with a more rational reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by buster81 View Post
    You do know that word is insulting to those that have handicapped loved ones... right?
    Please don't tell me we have to be politically correct. I'm really sick of it.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodbender View Post
    In this case, the better word would be "considerate." I know for a fact from direct personal observation that we have at least one member on this forum with a child who has developmental disabilities. Out of 20K registered users, I imagine there are more.
    Last edited by Citizen; 08-24-2010 at 09:10 PM.

Banned
    The irony is that the word "idiot" that replaced the offensive word in the original title had essentially the same technical meaning until it was corrupted by vulgar use. IIRC, idiot, moron, and imbecile were formal classifications for varying levels of low IQ scores.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    The irony is that the word "idiot" that replaced the offensive word in the original title had essentially the same technical meaning until it was corrupted by vulgar use. IIRC, idiot, moron, and imbecile were formal classifications for varying levels of low IQ scores.
    Thus the phrase, "Some village has lost its idiot." What you say makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by rodbender View Post
    The word is offensive to a group of people who did not ask to be born that way. I was simply asking the individual if he was aware of that. Do you insult people out of a desire to not be politically correct?

No, its going along the lines of someone's feelings being hurt vs. someone's individual right to free speech.

I am also tired of this political correctness bulllsht. say what it is, don't try and dance around the issue.
    Taurus PT1911 .45 ACP. Carried in condition 1, with a total of 25 rounds.

Vice President of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, ECU Chapter

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Citizen makes some good points but the political correctness in this country drives me nuts. We are changing the english language to placate peoples feelings.

Although I don't purposefully go out of my way to hurt peoples feelings, throughout history there are always those who have been more feeble minded than others. Everyone took care of the town simpleton. In the past there was no shame that was just the way he was born.

And as brought out it's not the person with the condition that gets offended it is usually his family. I think sometimes they just need to learn to deal with it and not be oversensitive.

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    SNIP...
    And as brought out it's not the person with the condition that gets offended it is usually his family. I think sometimes they just need to learn to deal with it and not be oversensitive.
    That is a very true statement. People need to relax. You're getting upset because of certain words people are using yet you would deride those that take offense at us being armed. "No one has a right to not be offended." I see that thrown about a lot on this forum. Well, a right is a RIGHT, feelings and opinions be damned.

Oh, and for the record, I have a cousin that is handicapped. Guess what, the words retard and cripple are still in my vocabulary. I don't treat him much different than anyone else. It's not always just the words, but the context they are used in. Keep that in mind and you might suffer less emotional distress in your life.

-Gruu

Smile Speech

Glenn Beck talks about PC in his book" An Inconvenaint Book" and he an expert of a speech given by George H.W. Bush. That speech talk about losing our identities because of PC.

"If we hope to make full use of the optimism I discussed earlier, men and women must feel free to speak their hearts and minds. We must build a society in which people can join in common cause without having to surrender their identities.

You can lead the way. Share your thoughts and your experiences and your hopes and your frustrations. Defend others' rights to speak. And if harmony be our goal, let's pursue harmony, not inquisition.

The virtue of free speech leads naturally to another equally important dimension of freedom, and that is the freedom of spirit"
    Patrick Henry didn't say "Give me safety , or give me death". Liberty is what America is about.

I am also terribly tired of political correctness,,like saying someone is vertically challenged when in truth they are SHORT. It's not a sin being short, nor is it one to say someone is. I reckon I've just always gone with my Gramps old saying; "If ya don't have nuthin nice to say, don't say nuthin at all/
    ‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’ Thomas Jefferson

I learned something very important as a child. Sticks and stone may break my bones, BUT WORD MAY NEVER HURT ME. The last part is important. What it says is that when you hear a word YOU the listener are the one who gives it power. NOT the person saying it. Someone says something offensive to you. Just smile and walk away. They have just been disarmed. Only the weak allow words to hurt them. The exception would be the mentally challenged and really young who can not understand of course.

Way to stick it to the mentally handicapped. We'll show those worthless jerks.

Quote Originally Posted by buster81 View Post
    You do know that word is insulting to those that have differentially enabled persons of emotional significance ... right?

Banned
    I hate PC.

However, when people with children who are so afflicted say that they prefer I not use the word "retarded" as an insult, I will exercise my right not to use the word in that way. Others, of course, are free to use the word (except in places such as OCDO where private property rights are justifiably exercised to exclude the word) in any way they choose. Folks who witness one's use of the word are then free to judge one's character as a result.

Folks are also free to ask others not to use the word. They should just be prepared to get a lot of I-got-my-rights in return.

Ain't Liberty wonderful?

I think it's great that John and Mike let us continue the conversation even though the thread title was changed and we went way off topic.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    I also despise political correctness. It has altered the language which has worked perfectly well for quite some time. The feminists got their panties in a wrinkle with the word "sex" when it was used to describe males and females. So enter "gender"; a word used for language identification and not human sexuality. Then we have all of the "????-challenged" descriptions. I once used the word "dumb" to describe an individual who could not speak and one of my daughters, a high school student at the time, was taken aback by this. I had to explain that this word was a perfectly fine word for the context in which I had used it. She was still not so sure about this.

The hyphenated classifications really get to me. And some of these have dropped their hyphens perhaps to gain credence, but their still in error. Take the term "African-American" used to describe a black American and actually can wind up describing any black person in this country. The ones who use this term are no more African Americans that am I - and I'm a white person, speficially an English-Irish-Welsh-American (sounds rather stupid, doesn't it). African-American, or African American, is a correct term IF the person immigrated to this country and became a naturalized citizen. I have only known three African Americans in my life... and one was white. Those who choose to be identified as hyphenated Americans and who are native to this country are a curious lot. And I refuse to succumb to this ridiculous bastardization of the language. Incidentally, I included this idea in a speech I gave to some high school students once. They gave me a standing ovation - their parents weren't to sure what to do.

Political correctness is not simply a smoothing over and cleansing of our language; it is more ominous than that. By altering and changing the language, policies and even laws can be introduced to punish those who stray outside of the accepted "norm". In today's climate, it is hard to keep from using these terms and when we refuse to do so, it is WE who are held in question. Strange, isn't it.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

When someone corrects me for using my terms and want me to use hyphenated terms. I ask does that mean I have to be called European-American, why perpetuate the double standard that sets people apart? The only term I do use like that is Native American ( I am 1/4) seems to be the only one applicable. Early in our country's history the term American referred to the Indians otherwise they called themselves by their state, Virginian, Georgian, etc. when referring to their "citizenship"

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    When someone corrects me for using my terms and want me to use hyphenated terms. I ask does that mean I have to be called European-American, why perpetuate the double standard that sets people apart? The only term I do use like that is Native American ( I am 1/4) seems to be the only one applicable. Early in our country's history the term American referred to the Indians otherwise they called themselves by their state, Virginian, Georgian, etc. when referring to their "citizenship"
    I refer to American Indians in the historical sense as either aboriginal or indigenous peoples because the term Native American can be applied to those of us born here as well (perhaps another perversion of the language??). In fact, the Indians in this land who were indigenous were not Americans at all, but rather members of Indian tribes and nations across the land. And of course was no "America" until European settlers got here and named it. The land mass was just that... a large land mass, unnamed and inhabited by numerous Indian nations and tribes who at times, fought amongst themselves for food, land, power, and other reasons.

Most American Indians I have encounter in my life have been just like myself. They refer to themselves as Americans and/or by their state residences. If it happens to come out about their heritage, then they will generally tell me which tribe or Indian nation is their lineage. Just like myself. I never say anything about my lineage because it is not important and I am certainly not an Anglo-American. I am an American and specifically, a Virginian and a Southerner. It doesn't mean squat to me where my ancestors came from except as a general curiosity.

You are right about the colonists referring to themselves as citizens of the several states prior to the outbreak of the Revolution. And they also considered themselves British citizens as well with some (about a third) thinking of themselves as subjects of the crown.
    Last edited by SouthernBoy; 08-30-2010 at 07:45 AM.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    COMMENTS REMOVED BY MODERATOR: Personal attack
    Last edited by PaxMentis; 08-30-2010 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PaxMentis View Post
    And yet, you will probably get offended when you are refered to as an ignorant a-hole...
    eye95 is correct with the statement to which you responded with a less-than-civil comment. He was simply stating a fact. Over the years, actually in my lifetime, these definitions have come to wear a derogatory meaning when in fact, that was not their original meaning at all. I well remember in school learning and discussing this.

America First!

Banned
    Since someone has taken my attempt at posting facts as an opportunity to call me a vulgar name, I thought I would post some support for that fact and see what reaction that gets.

Goddard used the terms moron for those with an IQ of 51-70, imbecile for those with an IQ of 26-50, and idiot for those with an IQ of 0-25 for categories of increasing impairment. This nomenclature was the standard of the field for decades.
    http://psychology.wikia.com/wiki/Henry_Goddard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast