Thread: Carjackings don't happen in nice neighborhoods do they? WI needs vehicle carry:

Wisconsin Carry, Inc. Wisconsin Carry, Inc. - Chairman's Avatar

Carjackings don't happen in nice neighborhoods do they? WI needs vehicle carry:

http://www.wauwatosanow.com/news/101313194.html

Seat belt credited for preventing carjacking
    By STEFANIE SCOTT

Posted: Aug. 23, 2010 12:43 p.m. |(4) Comments

A seat belt thwarted an attempted carjacking at 112th Street and Blue Mound Road on Friday morning.

According to Wauwatosa police:

The female driver was approaching a flashing yellow light when she saw a man step off the curb across the street just before 6 a.m. She stopped the car to let him cross safely, but she became nervous when he started walking to her door.

She tried to roll up the car window, but wasn't quick enough. He punched her in the cheek and demanded she get out of the car. He opened the door and pulled on her arm, but the seat belt prevented him from pulling her out of the vehicle.

Excerpt ... read more at the link above
    Furthermore... "seatbelt credited with preventing car-jacking???"

How about "man with baseball bat prevents car-jacking"
    www.wisconsincarry.org Wisconsin Carry, Inc. is not affiliated with opencarry.org or these web forums. Questions about discussion forum policy or forum moderation should be directed to the owners of opencarry.org not Wisconsin Carry, Inc.

I agree the bat and the driver deserve the credit here. Could you imagine the headline if the bg was "scared off" by an Oc'r...

Wisconsin Carry, Inc. Wisconsin Carry, Inc. - Chairman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mlutz View Post
    I agree the bat and the driver deserve the credit here. Could you imagine the headline if the bg was "scared off" by an Oc'r...
    unfortunately, with Wisconsin's behind-the-times laws when it comes to right to carry and self-defense and corresponding behind-the-times news reporting when it comes to the same, the headline from Wisconsin media in this scenario would likely read:

"Gun activist frightens pedestrian with firearm"
    www.wisconsincarry.org Wisconsin Carry, Inc. is not affiliated with opencarry.org or these web forums. Questions about discussion forum policy or forum moderation should be directed to the owners of opencarry.org not Wisconsin Carry, Inc.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Big city advise on avoiding carjack victimhood.

When stopped in a line of vehicles, leave a car length from the car ahead to give you room to accelerate away from the BG, into the oncoming traffic or onto the sidewalk if need be. Obvious are lock doors and roll up windows.

In a state allowing car carry, I was taught to shoot a carjacker when his hand breaks the plane of the window. All of the elements of common law self-defense are met, innocence (unless you've really pimped yo' ride), minimum force from the tool at hand, it is common knowledge that carjackers' victims are often killed or maimed, a seatbelt obviates withdrawal.

If only she had a weapon to fight back with. If the trucker wasn't there, she'd be in trouble Seatbelt didn't save sh*t. It just delayed the guy. What if the jacker had a club or knife, etc.

Definitely need to change those car laws.

bhancock
    I have come close to being a victim twice in my life while in my vehicle;
    The first time a group of BG's had set up a late night bar time road block outside of Black River Falls and had already been credited with a couple severe beatings and robberies, after which they would retreat to the safety of the reservation. I accelerated the car, a 1973 Bonneville, and figured the injuries from the crash would be no less than the beating. They moved rather quickly and I continued home unharmed. By the way I had not been at a bar but was coming home from a friends house sober.
    The second time I rolled the man's arm up in the window and started driving. I released his arm when I felt I was going fast enough that he couldn't catch up.

Both times worked out OK, but maybe the next time I won't have those options. Now I usually have my family as passengers as well. Nowadays one of my options for defense is on the passenger seat or dash in a case. It could be taken out if need be for the privilege of self-defense, but it would be better if it could be at the ready!

Quote Originally Posted by bhancock View Post
    The second time I rolled the man's arm up in the window and started driving. I released his arm when I felt I was going fast enough that he couldn't catch up.

Should have hit about 30mph then released the window, that will teach em.
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

Campaign Veteran GlockMeisterG21's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
    When stopped in a line of vehicles, leave a car length from the car ahead to give you room to accelerate away from the BG, into the oncoming traffic or onto the sidewalk if need be. Obvious are lock doors and roll up windows.

In a state allowing car carry, I was taught to shoot a carjacker when his hand breaks the plane of the window. All of the elements of common law self-defense are met, innocence (unless you've really pimped yo' ride), minimum force from the tool at hand, it is common knowledge that carjackers' victims are often killed or maimed, a seatbelt obviates withdrawal.
    I completely agree. I can't wait to see that vehicle carry law taken off the books.
    “The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.” — Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002

When I graduate HS and was driving back and forth to college, my dad made me drive with a hatchet on the seat next to me for when I had to make those stops at lights while driving through Madison. Of course I was a small town kid just learning about the world and had no idea what to expect, so even though I laughed at it a bit I respected my dad and did as he told me. I'm glad I never had to do anything with it, but would have.

This may not be about firearms, but it is about making sure a person stays safe. And we have the right to, in a world where the bad elements are getting bolder.

[QUOTE=Doug Huffman;1338408]

(unless you've really pimped yo' ride)QUOTE]

I call B.S!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MN show.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	3696  

McX
    i know personaly 2 people who have been victims of attempted carjackings, in supposed nice parts of town; one drug the attacker down the street before feeding him to the concrete, he got away, they got away, the other got the hell beat out of him, he got away, they got away.....hmmm, i notice a reoccuring theme here; they got away.

Castle Doctrine

Wisconsin needs a Castle Doctrine law with extension to personal vehicles.
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

Banned

Wisconsin needs a Stand Your Ground Law

Wisconsin needs a Stand Your Ground Law to cover anywhere a citizen legally happens to be - like his company car, a rental car and his friend's house.

Quote Originally Posted by jpm84092 View Post
    Wisconsin needs a Castle Doctrine law with extension to personal vehicles.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    i know personaly 2 people who have been victims of attempted carjackings, in supposed nice parts of town; one drug the attacker down the street before feeding him to the concrete, he got away, they got away, the other got the hell beat out of him, he got away, they got away.....hmmm, i notice a reoccuring theme here; they got away.
    They got away to commit the crime on someone else now.........

Quote Originally Posted by GlockMeisterG21 View Post
    I completely agree. I can't wait to see that vehicle carry law taken off the books.
    Right on. Having to dissarm to get in a vehicle is one of the biggest pains to deal with. With the being said I will not let that stop me from oc'ing everyday. Every day the public gets an education at no charge.

Witnessed An Attempted Car Jacking Once

Years back in Goose Creek, SC I was riding shotgun with a friend in his convertible corvette. We stopped at a traffic light and a guy comes running towards us holding a big knife. It was obvious what his intentions were. My friend pulled out his Glock 19, pointed it at him when he was about 10 feet away and said "You don't want to do that". The guy turned and ran back into the woods.

I carry my gun IAW the transport law: unloaded and encased and on the seat next to me.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by rcawdor57 View Post
    Years back in Goose Creek, SC I was riding shotgun with a friend in his convertible corvette. We stopped at a traffic light and a guy comes running towards us holding a big knife. It was obvious what his intentions were. My friend pulled out his Glock 19, pointed it at him when he was about 10 feet away and said "You don't want to do that". The guy turned and ran back into the woods.

I carry my gun IAW the transport law: unloaded and encased and on the seat next to me.
    Why didn't you use the shotgun?

bhancock

Exacltly

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    Why didn't you use the shotgun?
    In my house if you call shotgun, you better be holdin one.

After my experience on 04JUL, I have changed how I handle vehicle transport.
    I have added a lock on my carrying case, which will be secured in the event of any potential interaction with The Law [TM].
    I believe this method will aid me in defending myself if need be, both from bad guys & police.

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    After my experience on 04JUL, I have changed how I handle vehicle transport.
    I have added a lock on my carrying case, which will be secured in the event of any potential interaction with The Law [TM].
    I believe this method will aid me in defending myself if need be, both from bad guys & police.
    Maybe not so much from bad guys, where I'd prefer not to go through a lock!

Quote Originally Posted by rcawdor57 View Post

Wow, So I posted here about a year ago, when I was coming home on leave to WI, and it was my understanding that even in a case, it had to be out of reach. Has this changed recently? I'm a little behind the times on WI laws, and looking to catch up again, as I'll be in Milwaukee Sep 6-29, and plan to OC everywhere.

On a side note, and Kind of OT, It felt really weird popping open the truck, locking the slide back, dropping in a Mag, and sending her home, right in plain sight of everyone. It would make me feel alot better if I could legally keep my case on the passenger seat.

Transport VS Concealed Carry

We have had this discussion many, many times on this forum and there are some of us who transport with the firearm next to us and some that keep it "out of reach". The gun laws here in Wisconsin are just plain stupid to put it bluntly. The transport law just states "Unloaded and encased". It says nothing about out of reach.

Here is a link on the State Troopers FAQ page. Scroll down to misc and see the answer for transporting firearms.

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/statepa...nforcement.htm

Now if you read the concealed weapons law it says it must be out of reach (one of three elements). OK. So if that is the case we can NEVER meet the concealed weapons law legally. NEVER. It is impossible to abide by the letter of the law. Whenever you know the weapon is within reach, and it is hidden and one other element (too tired to remember it or look it up) then you violate the concealed weapons law. So EVERY time you put your gun in the transport case and close that lid or zip it up you just violated the law. Every time you purchase a gun in Wisconsin and put it in a bag or box or whatever you just violated the law. Every time you put the gun in your gun safe you just broke the law. The law for concealed weapons in Wisconsin is illogical. "To go armed doesn't mean you have to go anywhere". There is actual case law of a school kid getting charged and arrested for having something in their locker inside a coat pocket as a concealed weapon. I think it was a rock. Can't remember. It went all the way to the Wisconsin Supreme court before it was overturned. It is impossible to abide by the gun laws in Wisconsin 100% of the time. Impossible. Imagine the police waiting at the doors to Gander Mountain, Dicks Sporting Goods, Cabela's, Walmart, etc...and arresting every single person who just bought a firearm because they have it in a box, bag, etc...not in strict accordance with the law. We could all be charged with a violation of the concealed weapons statute.
    So, I follow the law for transport which simply states "Unloaded and encased". It states nothing about out of reach. So I keep it on my seat next to me. Others put it "out of reach" and others put it on the dash of their vehicle so it can be seen from outside and therefore is not "hidden from normal view".

I'm sure Doug or Gleason or someone who has direct links to the statutes will come along and post them or post links to the other forum threads about his.

Banned

Black letter law is for chicken-citizens only.

Nyaaah, why bother. Black letter law is for chicken-citizens only. Some Anony Mouse will come along and quibble that OCDO Rule (15) is meaningless.
    Quote Originally Posted by RULES
    (15) WE ADVOCATE FOR THE 'LAW-ABIDING' ONLY: Posts advocating illegal acts of any kind are NOT welcome here. Even if you feel that a law is unconstitutional we do not break it, we repeal it or defeat it in the courts.
    The law abides the law abiding only.

Here's the link URL to Wisconsin Statutes

http://www.legis.wisconsin.gov/rsb/stats.html

Here's the link URL to Wisconsin Administrative Code

http://www.legis.state.wi.us/rsb/code.htm