• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carjackings don't happen in nice neighborhoods do they? WI needs vehicle carry:

xenophon

After my experience on 04JUL, I have changed how I handle vehicle transport.
I have added a lock on my carrying case, which will be secured in the event of any potential interaction with The Law [TM].
I believe this method will aid me in defending myself if need be, both from bad guys & police.

Maybe not so much from bad guys, where I'd prefer not to go through a lock!

GQflyboy

Years back in Goose Creek, SC I was riding shotgun with a friend in his convertible corvette. We stopped at a traffic light and a guy comes running towards us holding a big knife. It was obvious what his intentions were. My friend pulled out his Glock 19, pointed it at him when he was about 10 feet away and said "You don't want to do that". The guy turned and ran back into the woods.

I carry my gun IAW the transport law: unloaded and encased and on the seat next to me.

Wow, So I posted here about a year ago, when I was coming home on leave to WI, and it was my understanding that even in a case, it had to be out of reach. Has this changed recently? I'm a little behind the times on WI laws, and looking to catch up again, as I'll be in Milwaukee Sep 6-29, and plan to OC everywhere.

On a side note, and Kind of OT, It felt really weird popping open the truck, locking the slide back, dropping in a Mag, and sending her home, right in plain sight of everyone. It would make me feel alot better if I could legally keep my case on the passenger seat.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Transport VS Concealed Carry

We have had this discussion many, many times on this forum and there are some of us who transport with the firearm next to us and some that keep it "out of reach". The gun laws here in Wisconsin are just plain stupid to put it bluntly. The transport law just states "Unloaded and encased". It says nothing about out of reach.

Here is a link on the State Troopers FAQ page. Scroll down to misc and see the answer for transporting firearms.

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/statepatrol/enforcement/faqs-enforcement.htm

Now if you read the concealed weapons law it says it must be out of reach (one of three elements). OK. So if that is the case we can NEVER meet the concealed weapons law legally. NEVER. It is impossible to abide by the letter of the law. Whenever you know the weapon is within reach, and it is hidden and one other element (too tired to remember it or look it up) then you violate the concealed weapons law. So EVERY time you put your gun in the transport case and close that lid or zip it up you just violated the law. Every time you purchase a gun in Wisconsin and put it in a bag or box or whatever you just violated the law. Every time you put the gun in your gun safe you just broke the law. The law for concealed weapons in Wisconsin is illogical. "To go armed doesn't mean you have to go anywhere". There is actual case law of a school kid getting charged and arrested for having something in their locker inside a coat pocket as a concealed weapon. I think it was a rock. Can't remember. It went all the way to the Wisconsin Supreme court before it was overturned. It is impossible to abide by the gun laws in Wisconsin 100% of the time. Impossible. Imagine the police waiting at the doors to Gander Mountain, Dicks Sporting Goods, Cabela's, Walmart, etc...and arresting every single person who just bought a firearm because they have it in a box, bag, etc...not in strict accordance with the law. We could all be charged with a violation of the concealed weapons statute.
So, I follow the law for transport which simply states "Unloaded and encased". It states nothing about out of reach. So I keep it on my seat next to me. Others put it "out of reach" and others put it on the dash of their vehicle so it can be seen from outside and therefore is not "hidden from normal view".

I'm sure Doug or Gleason or someone who has direct links to the statutes will come along and post them or post links to the other forum threads about his.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Black letter law is for chicken-citizens only.

Nyaaah, why bother. Black letter law is for chicken-citizens only. Some Anony Mouse will come along and quibble that OCDO Rule (15) is meaningless.
RULES said:
(15) WE ADVOCATE FOR THE 'LAW-ABIDING' ONLY: Posts advocating illegal acts of any kind are NOT welcome here. Even if you feel that a law is unconstitutional we do not break it, we repeal it or defeat it in the courts.
The law abides the law abiding only.

Here's the link URL to Wisconsin Statutes

http://www.legis.wisconsin.gov/rsb/stats.html

Here's the link URL to Wisconsin Administrative Code

http://www.legis.state.wi.us/rsb/code.htm