• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carjackings don't happen in nice neighborhoods do they? WI needs vehicle carry:

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
http://www.wauwatosanow.com/news/101313194.html
Seat belt credited for preventing carjacking
By STEFANIE SCOTT

Posted: Aug. 23, 2010 12:43 p.m. |(4) Comments

A seat belt thwarted an attempted carjacking at 112th Street and Blue Mound Road on Friday morning.

According to Wauwatosa police:

The female driver was approaching a flashing yellow light when she saw a man step off the curb across the street just before 6 a.m. She stopped the car to let him cross safely, but she became nervous when he started walking to her door.

She tried to roll up the car window, but wasn't quick enough. He punched her in the cheek and demanded she get out of the car. He opened the door and pulled on her arm, but the seat belt prevented him from pulling her out of the vehicle.

Excerpt ... read more at the link above

Furthermore... "seatbelt credited with preventing car-jacking???"

How about "man with baseball bat prevents car-jacking"

Mlutz

I agree the bat and the driver deserve the credit here. Could you imagine the headline if the bg was "scared off" by an Oc'r...

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
I agree the bat and the driver deserve the credit here. Could you imagine the headline if the bg was "scared off" by an Oc'r...

unfortunately, with Wisconsin's behind-the-times laws when it comes to right to carry and self-defense and corresponding behind-the-times news reporting when it comes to the same, the headline from Wisconsin media in this scenario would likely read:

"Gun activist frightens pedestrian with firearm"

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Big city advise on avoiding carjack victimhood.

When stopped in a line of vehicles, leave a car length from the car ahead to give you room to accelerate away from the BG, into the oncoming traffic or onto the sidewalk if need be. Obvious are lock doors and roll up windows.

In a state allowing car carry, I was taught to shoot a carjacker when his hand breaks the plane of the window. All of the elements of common law self-defense are met, innocence (unless you've really pimped yo' ride), minimum force from the tool at hand, it is common knowledge that carjackers' victims are often killed or maimed, a seatbelt obviates withdrawal.

xenophon

If only she had a weapon to fight back with. If the trucker wasn't there, she'd be in trouble :( Seatbelt didn't save sh*t. It just delayed the guy. What if the jacker had a club or knife, etc.

Definitely need to change those car laws.

B

bhancock

I have come close to being a victim twice in my life while in my vehicle;
The first time a group of BG's had set up a late night bar time road block outside of Black River Falls and had already been credited with a couple severe beatings and robberies, after which they would retreat to the safety of the reservation. I accelerated the car, a 1973 Bonneville, and figured the injuries from the crash would be no less than the beating. They moved rather quickly and I continued home unharmed. By the way I had not been at a bar but was coming home from a friends house sober.
The second time I rolled the man's arm up in the window and started driving. I released his arm when I felt I was going fast enough that he couldn't catch up.

Both times worked out OK, but maybe the next time I won't have those options. Now I usually have my family as passengers as well. Nowadays one of my options for defense is on the passenger seat or dash in a case. It could be taken out if need be for the privilege of self-defense, but it would be better if it could be at the ready!

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
When stopped in a line of vehicles, leave a car length from the car ahead to give you room to accelerate away from the BG, into the oncoming traffic or onto the sidewalk if need be. Obvious are lock doors and roll up windows.

In a state allowing car carry, I was taught to shoot a carjacker when his hand breaks the plane of the window. All of the elements of common law self-defense are met, innocence (unless you've really pimped yo' ride), minimum force from the tool at hand, it is common knowledge that carjackers' victims are often killed or maimed, a seatbelt obviates withdrawal.

I completely agree. I can't wait to see that vehicle carry law taken off the books.

opusd2

When I graduate HS and was driving back and forth to college, my dad made me drive with a hatchet on the seat next to me for when I had to make those stops at lights while driving through Madison. Of course I was a small town kid just learning about the world and had no idea what to expect, so even though I laughed at it a bit I respected my dad and did as he told me. I'm glad I never had to do anything with it, but would have.

This may not be about firearms, but it is about making sure a person stays safe. And we have the right to, in a world where the bad elements are getting bolder.

M

McX

i know personaly 2 people who have been victims of attempted carjackings, in supposed nice parts of town; one drug the attacker down the street before feeding him to the concrete, he got away, they got away, the other got the hell beat out of him, he got away, they got away.....hmmm, i notice a reoccuring theme here; they got away.

xenophon

i know personaly 2 people who have been victims of attempted carjackings, in supposed nice parts of town; one drug the attacker down the street before feeding him to the concrete, he got away, they got away, the other got the hell beat out of him, he got away, they got away.....hmmm, i notice a reoccuring theme here; they got away.

They got away to commit the crime on someone else now.........

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Witnessed An Attempted Car Jacking Once

Years back in Goose Creek, SC I was riding shotgun with a friend in his convertible corvette. We stopped at a traffic light and a guy comes running towards us holding a big knife. It was obvious what his intentions were. My friend pulled out his Glock 19, pointed it at him when he was about 10 feet away and said "You don't want to do that". The guy turned and ran back into the woods.

I carry my gun IAW the transport law: unloaded and encased and on the seat next to me.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Years back in Goose Creek, SC I was riding shotgun with a friend in his convertible corvette. We stopped at a traffic light and a guy comes running towards us holding a big knife. It was obvious what his intentions were. My friend pulled out his Glock 19, pointed it at him when he was about 10 feet away and said "You don't want to do that". The guy turned and ran back into the woods.

I carry my gun IAW the transport law: unloaded and encased and on the seat next to me.

Why didn't you use the shotgun?

MKEgal

After my experience on 04JUL, I have changed how I handle vehicle transport.
I have added a lock on my carrying case, which will be secured in the event of any potential interaction with The Law [TM].
I believe this method will aid me in defending myself if need be, both from bad guys & police.