• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about OC/CC in Oregon Parks

Lord Sega

Oregon OC/CC in parks, legal or not?

1. National Parks in Oregon (I believe Crater Lake is the only one)
2. State Parks
3. County Parks
4. City Parks

Due to Oregon preemption, I believe that 2,3, & 4 are covered and that OC and CC is legal, same as anywhere else in Oregon, with the exception of: 4 a city park falls under 166.173 of unloaded carry if the city has it's own regulation (ie Portland and others), with CHL holders being exempt.

Not sure where we stand with National Parks at this time. I think I read that National parks are following state law where they are located, but not positive.

I did find where this issue was addressed in Washington, and that they were working on changing their signage in State parks to be within the state's preemption law, but due to money and time it's taking a while to get the signs redone, but that temp stickers were being put up.

I have not found any blog threads, here or elsewhere, about Oregon park signs being corrected.

In a previous thread I started you can read about me being asked to put my sidearm away in my car or leave, that I could not OC in a county park. I did send an email to Clatsop County Parks Foreman Steve Meshke about the signage, waiting for a reply.

I am looking for any links to official announcements, or official e-mails that members have received in response to their reporting of incorrect signs in Oregon parks, state or county (any county). The big question is: are state and county parks officials aware of and actively correcting park signs to be in compliance to state preemption 166.170?

jt59

Oregon OC/CC in parks, legal or not?

1. National Parks in Oregon (I believe Crater Lake is the only one)

You are allowed to carry in National Parks under the same rules as your state. The only exception is that you cannot carry (OC or CC) in any of the federal building where federal employee's work or have regular access for their job.

Due to Oregon preemption, I believe that 2,3, & 4 are covered and that OC and CC is legal, same as anywhere else in Oregon, with the exception of: 4 a city park falls under 166.173 of unloaded carry if the city has it's own regulation (ie Portland and others), with CHL holders being exempt.

Not sure where we stand with National Parks at this time. I think I read that National parks are following state law where they are located, but not positive.

I did find where this issue was addressed in Washington, and that they were working on changing their signage in State parks to be within the state's preemption law, but due to money and time it's taking a while to get the signs redone, but that temp stickers were being put up.

I have not found any blog threads, here or elsewhere, about Oregon park signs being corrected.

In a previous thread I started you can read about me being asked to put my sidearm away in my car or leave, that I could not OC in a county park. I did send an email to Clatsop County Parks Foreman Steve Meshke about the signage, waiting for a reply.

I am looking for any links to official announcements, or official e-mails that members have received in response to their reporting of incorrect signs in Oregon parks, state or county (any county). The big question is: are state and county parks officials aware of and actively correcting park signs to be in compliance to state preemption 166.170?

I have read the argument that basically the law pre-empts incorrect signage in any case, so, if your arrested or ticketed, you still have to defend yourself in court. However, this is a different issue from uneducated employee's to policy or law.

We are going through some version of this with a number of County and various City parks in WA, due in large part to many of the restrictive (and now illegal) laws being put in place 30/40 years ago, and current council's not aware of the discrepency to the law. When challenged, they have all pretty well folded up, but you need to keep pressure on to get it off the books and suggest follow on orientation training for the various agencies involved. There is a loosely focused effort on identifying the various local agency that are out of code or out of touch. For the most part, they are willing to comply once made aware of the discrepency. Our next looming issue is how local counties and towns are trying to back door some version of gun control under "emergency declared" that disallows the sale, transfer, carry, etc etc of weapons, ammo and more....also illegal, but unchallenged.

Last edited: