Thread: Obama rifle ban?

Obama rifle ban?

Last edited by mik253; 10-23-2016 at 12:35 AM.

confirmed through secondary source...(Someone who wrote an amicus brief for Heller) However every article I find references the one source of The Korea Times. Not too sure how reliable that original source is.....

http://volokh.com/2010/08/18/obama-b...100000-rifles/
    "And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
    E nomine Patri, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti."

"If the rest of the world says: 'War,' I can only say: 'Very well. I do not want war, but no one, however peaceable, can live in peace if his neighbor intends to force a quarrel.'" - Adolf Hitler...

FWIW, these rifles are a bunch of worn out M-1 Garands that were "loaned" to South Korea in the 50's. Plenty of good ones for sale here already. Some are probably worn to the point of just plain being unsafe to shoot.

Could still be good for parts or collectables. I like antique firearms myself and would purchase an unfireable firearm for its historic purposes only if the price were right.

Pure baloney as far as I'm concerned. One small step toward disarming this nation.

Gonna dump salt on this, just because every week some new "Obama scheme" is trying to take our guns. It is always an unreliable source, and so far the Obama administration hasn't done much of anything to directly violate gun rights.

EDIT: This particular claim is only backed by one Korean article. I won't believe it until Wayne LaPierre writes me a letter asking for money to stop it.

The one I keep seeing is the "signing the UN treaty banning firearms" one. IT CANNOT HAPPEN.
    Last edited by killchain; 08-24-2010 at 03:21 AM.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -John Stuart Mill

Quote Originally Posted by Jayd1981 View Post
    Could still be good for parts or collectables. I like antique firearms myself and would purchase an unfireable firearm for its historic purposes only if the price were right.
    Possibly so but again, there are tons of M-1 parts already available in this Country and at reasonable prices. Some of those parts are even in "Unissued" condition. I just completed a "Military Rifle" project and had to order several parts. Each one had numerous suppliers offering them so I was able to take my pick.

For some reason there are quite a few that find it necessary search far and wide for obscure stories like this and then blow them all out of proportion. The deeper one digs they usually find that their is a self serving agenda behind them. Fan the flames of outrage and then solicit a "donation" to help them "fight those who would take it all away from us". Another one I ran across this week was on the subject of a bill that was dead, done, and had a fork put in it last year. The person that was trying to fire eveyone up had a website that sold magazine subscriptions as well.

This country has a lot of "free enterprise" individuals that are quite adept at not just fanning the flames of controversy in order to make some money for themselves, in some cases they even start the fires.

Stay focused so you can sift the "bull$h!t out of the buckwheat". There are real threats to our rights but this story isn't one of them.

The "read" I saw on this (unconfirmed, no source to cite so YMMV) has this as a "FUD."

Specifically, the contentious point is whether these are loaned to Korea, or sold to Korea. If they were loaned, they are supposed to be returned to the US for the ODCMP. If they were purchased, they can be sold legally. The niggle is that Korea hasn't/can't produce paperwork proving that they were bought from the US as opposed to loaned by the US.

AJ is a great source of FUD.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Gotta call BS on yet another baseless thread.
    Meet the new boss; same as the old boss. -The Who

Obama is conspiring with evil boogie men from Mars to convert all firearms into clean burning coal!! Look out behind you!!!
    Meet the new boss; same as the old boss. -The Who

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Warden View Post
    Probably!

I remember before the internet (1974), you could buy army jeeps for $100.00, packed in 55 gallon drums of Cosmolene,that were military surplus too.

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat....Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Warden View Post
    In agreement. This is a far right attempt to rile up your emotions.

If you want to watch bills introduced. http://www.thomas.gov/
    Live Free or Die!

Here is the story in the Korea Times. http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...205_71329.html

Everything else about this seems to be on message boards or sites like ATS. It sounds like there could be a little truth in the story to me, but thats just my opinion.

two things pop into my head at this point.

1. As I stated above this story is only really "confirmed" by one source and that is the Korea Times. Not too sure on the reliability of them either, however at least one "newspaper" has written about this. Does that mean it is the Go's honest truth though? Prolly not.

2. WRIGHTME brings up a good point, perhaps PERHAPS the reason why the guns are prohibited for importation and sale is because they were loaned and are thus not elligible for sale....
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.

"If the rest of the world says: 'War,' I can only say: 'Very well. I do not want war, but no one, however peaceable, can live in peace if his neighbor intends to force a quarrel.'" - Adolf Hitler...

Quote Originally Posted by Jayd1981 View Post
    Here is the story in the Korea Times. http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...205_71329.html

Everything else about this seems to be on message boards or sites like ATS. It sounds like there could be a little truth in the story to me, but thats just my opinion.
    I'm sure it is the truth as far as the Korean's are concerned. This is a translated article so we have to rely on the accuracy of the translation.

I am not sure about the accuracy thing. I went to the paper's website and teh English version appears first on their page, at least IMPLYING that it was written by the original author... At least as far as I can juxtapose....

Quote Originally Posted by jt59 View Post
    Probably!

I remember before the internet (1974), you could buy army jeeps for $100.00, packed in 55 gallon drums of Cosmolene,that were military surplus too.

I would love to have one of those little Jeeps. I would definitely need someone to help me put it together though.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    I would love to have one of those little Jeeps. I would definitely need someone to help me put it together though.
    The tough part is to get it back to the regular size. They used one of those secret "ray guns" (like in "Honey I shrunk the kids") to make it small enough to fit in a 55 gal drum. It definitely won't be one of those "just soak it in water" projects.

Quote Originally Posted by jt59 View Post
    Probably!

Yea. I ordered one of those from the back of Popular Mechanics back in '68. Should be here any day now..............