• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Obama rifle ban?

amlevin

FWIW, these rifles are a bunch of worn out M-1 Garands that were "loaned" to South Korea in the 50's. Plenty of good ones for sale here already. Some are probably worn to the point of just plain being unsafe to shoot.

Jayd1981

Could still be good for parts or collectables. I like antique firearms myself and would purchase an unfireable firearm for its historic purposes only if the price were right.

killchain

Gonna dump salt on this, just because every week some new "Obama scheme" is trying to take our guns. It is always an unreliable source, and so far the Obama administration hasn't done much of anything to directly violate gun rights.

EDIT: This particular claim is only backed by one Korean article. I won't believe it until Wayne LaPierre writes me a letter asking for money to stop it.

The one I keep seeing is the "signing the UN treaty banning firearms" one. IT CANNOT HAPPEN.

Last edited:

amlevin

Could still be good for parts or collectables. I like antique firearms myself and would purchase an unfireable firearm for its historic purposes only if the price were right.

Possibly so but again, there are tons of M-1 parts already available in this Country and at reasonable prices. Some of those parts are even in "Unissued" condition. I just completed a "Military Rifle" project and had to order several parts. Each one had numerous suppliers offering them so I was able to take my pick.

For some reason there are quite a few that find it necessary search far and wide for obscure stories like this and then blow them all out of proportion. The deeper one digs they usually find that their is a self serving agenda behind them. Fan the flames of outrage and then solicit a "donation" to help them "fight those who would take it all away from us". Another one I ran across this week was on the subject of a bill that was dead, done, and had a fork put in it last year. The person that was trying to fire eveyone up had a website that sold magazine subscriptions as well.

This country has a lot of "free enterprise" individuals that are quite adept at not just fanning the flames of controversy in order to make some money for themselves, in some cases they even start the fires.

Stay focused so you can sift the "bull$h!t out of the buckwheat". There are real threats to our rights but this story isn't one of them.

wrightme

The "read" I saw on this (unconfirmed, no source to cite so YMMV) has this as a "FUD."

Specifically, the contentious point is whether these are loaned to Korea, or sold to Korea. If they were loaned, they are supposed to be returned to the US for the ODCMP. If they were purchased, they can be sold legally. The niggle is that Korea hasn't/can't produce paperwork proving that they were bought from the US as opposed to loaned by the US.

AJ is a great source of FUD.

devildoc5

two things pop into my head at this point.

1. As I stated above this story is only really "confirmed" by one source and that is the Korea Times. Not too sure on the reliability of them either, however at least one "newspaper" has written about this. Does that mean it is the Go's honest truth though? Prolly not.

2. WRIGHTME brings up a good point, perhaps PERHAPS the reason why the guns are prohibited for importation and sale is because they were loaned and are thus not elligible for sale....

amlevin

devildoc5

I am not sure about the accuracy thing. I went to the paper's website and teh English version appears first on their page, at least IMPLYING that it was written by the original author... At least as far as I can juxtapose....

Beretta92FSLady

Probably!

I remember before the internet (1974), you could buy army jeeps for $100.00, packed in 55 gallon drums of Cosmolene,that were military surplus too.

:lol:

I would love to have one of those little Jeeps. I would definitely need someone to help me put it together though.

amlevin

I would love to have one of those little Jeeps. I would definitely need someone to help me put it together though.

The tough part is to get it back to the regular size. They used one of those secret "ray guns" (like in "Honey I shrunk the kids") to make it small enough to fit in a 55 gal drum. It definitely won't be one of those "just soak it in water" projects.

rickomatic

Probably!

I remember before the internet (1974), you could buy army jeeps for $100.00, packed in 55 gallon drums of Cosmolene,that were military surplus too.

:lol:

Yea. I ordered one of those from the back of Popular Mechanics back in '68. Should be here any day now..............